“Good location trumped by poor business services”

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #59 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for a week during a convention held at the Montreal Convention Center (Palais de Congres).

First, the positives. The hotel was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. It is located on top of a shopping mall and there is a food court directly beneath the hotel, so you can get eats at all prices. I had the hotel breakfast once (tasty by expensive) and then opted for the myriad of choices in the mall for the rest of my trip. The hotel is only a few blocks away from the convention center, which was key for me. If you weren't particular about this point, the idealness of the venue drops a lot.

The negatives...as mentioned in other reviews, the bathrooms have HORRIBLE lighting. It is dark and completely insufficient. I'm not sure if it's meant to be romantic or what, but for a business traveller who needs to look her best, it's quite unacceptable. And while we are on the subject of business travellers, not only was the internet access expensive, it didn't actually work. I followed the instructions given to me by the front desk and the instructions listed in the room and each time I tried to log in and pay, I was given an error message and asked to call some central 800 tech support number. There were a lot of other convention-goers I spoke to who had the same complaint. Really, for a hotel who is playing host to major business events, this is really shoddy.

I actually was so frustrated by my experience that I left feedback on the "comment card" they leave in your room. I did receive a nice email a few months later addressing my concerns to some extent. Apparently, they will be renovating the bathrooms.

Negativity aside, Montreal is an amazing city. I was lucky enough to have a good friend who is a native and we spent every night seeing a different side of the place, going to a different restaurant, etc. I think if I were to return and especially if I was paying the bill (not the company), I'd choose a different hotel than the Hyatt.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sulawesigirl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,892)

Reviewed October 7, 2006

Montreal: Hyatt Regency
Date: October 8, 2006
Reviewer: A Hyatt Vacation Club Member

Just returned from a 3-day stay. This the first time we have stayed at a Hyatt hotel. The Regency is a business class hotel in the middle of the business district. It is very close to shopping, theatres and museums as well. The staff was very professional, helpful and very friendly.

The hotel is right above one of Montreal's underground shopping areas. It is only a 10 minute walk to the Montreal Metro and this can be reached underground as well. There is also a bus stop outside the hotel. There is an elevator in the hotel that goes from the foyer, to the shopping area/metro and to the parking garage. Since it is a business hotel, the breakfast buffet is 19.95 CAD/person and lunch buffet is around 25 CAD/person. There is a food court in the underground shopping area so we never used the dining room. We were able to save money on food by eating breakfast and sometimes lunch at the food court. There are a couple moderately priced restaurants outside the hotel as well. The hotel has a very nice lounge as well.

We were on one of the top floors and had no problem with street noise. There were convention meetings/groups at the hotel, but never heard them. The rooms were spacious and the decor didn't bother us. I was surprised by the bathroom, didn't have enough counter space. There was a small refrigerator in the room, but no microwave oven. Parking at the adjoining public parking garage was 19 CAD/day. Valet parking at the hotel is 25 CAD.

The hotel is very nice and modern. The view wasn't the best due to skyscrapers, but we were able to see the towers of the Notre-Dame Basilica located in the historic part of town. With the Metro so close, it is very convenient to all tourist sites. I with all the conveniences close by, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2006

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Montreal and here is the feedback.

The hotel is ok but I doubt if we would ever go back there, mainly because of the drab, depressing and horrendous decor. The corridors were a mixture of off grey and sludge brown. The rooms were the same awful colours but were at least modern - but the bathroom was hideous. A cramped room in the same dismal colours with one tiny, pathetic, dim lamp that barely lit the mirror!!! The rest of the bathroom was in the dark (and no, the lamps weren't broken...there was only one). Unfortunately our view was of a grafitti painted car park (can't blame the hotel for that, I suppose).

Having been to Montreal, I know now that personally, I would have preferred to stay somewhere in the old quarter. A lot more going on, more restaurants, a more relaxed location.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank BeachBear
Reviewed September 25, 2006

The walls are paper-thin and you can hear everything...and I mean everything!

Kids were screaming late at night and the cleaning staff was vacuuming at 8am.

People were taking showers at 3:30am.

There is no sound insulation or any sound-proofing whatsoever between the walls, floors, and doors. We heard the people walking above us.

This is not a quiet hotel for a good nights sleep.

The hotel does have an excellent location and does enforce it's non-smoking policy (in its non-smoking rooms) with a $200 fine (which is great).

The sheets and towels have a strong bleach odor, and my wash cloth had holes in it.

There were several dirty dishes left out in the hallway from people who had ordered room service. Also, housekeeping doesn't clean very well behind the toilet.

We could hear the activity from Ste Catherine street on our high floor.

Claud at the front desk was kind enough to secure our luggage at 9am for our 3pm check-in. He gave us 2 rooms on a high floor with a superb view of Place des Arts.

The conceirge let us check our e-mail for free at the Regency Club for 5 minutes.

The rooms are modern and updated; however, they felt sterile like a hospital room.

The hotel prefers 24-hour notice to call the return shuttle bus (aero bus) to the airport.

The staff was excellent; however, this is not the hotel if you like quiet.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gregmech26
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Great location --walk to great restaurants/clubs of St Denis & Plateau, downtown core, historical Old Montreal, McGill U. and is by Metro for anywhere else. Mall below convenient for "breakfast" and Budget rental too.

Great service --baggage, concierge, reception extremely helpful in locating "Bell Store"-- he made over 5 calls for us.

Nice room, with a view,even on "second" floor (really, the 6th ), comfy beds and great maid service too. Lovely pool -with a large glass roof--only complaint is minor -no hottub.
Made for a truly wonderful and memorable "Montreal experience" . Loved it and will be back!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank william mudpucker
Reviewed September 4, 2006

We spent Labor Day weekend at the Hyatt with our 5 month old baby. The rooms are large and clean it is clear that the hotel has been renovated. The location is great and the staff was OK. We asked for a crib every night but received it only on the last night. We booked our room through Price Line and got an awesome deal which made our stay even better.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank gulig
Reviewed August 29, 2006

Just returned from a week at the Hyatt in Montreal. I was disappointed with the overall condition of the hotel compared to other Hyatt properties I have enjoyed. The hotel was very dark with low ceilings in the halls, dark coloured walls and poor lighting. The bathroom in our room was very poorly lit and you could not see yourself in the mirror to properly apply makeup. The grout around the tub was dirty.
Each time you entered the hotel you had to take two elevators as the main foyer is located on the fourth floor of the hotel. This was very inconvenient as there were often large groups of people waiting for the elevator.
We had specified in our reservation there would be three people in the room yet we repeatedly had to ask for the right amount of towels, coffee cups, glasses etc.
After we checked out we realized we had left a cell phone charger in the room. The staff insisted there was nothing left in the room and were very unco-operative.
Overall we expected more from a four star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business