“Really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Montreal

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #58 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
alpharetta, ga
“Really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2005

Stayed at the Hyatt Montreal two weeks ago. Very, very nice. Purchased the room via hotwire for about 90 bucks and I believe it was considered a 4 star. The decor was very stylish, our room was so nice and clean. I loved the pillows and the comforter on the bed was beautiful and the bathroom was granite and just so modern. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location was great, we were about 5 walking blocks from Maison du Jazz, a super cool jazz club that comes highly recommended as well. My husband and I would definitely go back to the Hyatt. Thumbs up!!!

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank drfunches

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2005

Just returned from a 3 night stay (Oct. 08-11, 2005) in room 641 and loved it.

From Dorval Airport, I took the Aerobus to the bus terminal near the Berri Metro station for $13C (taxi is $31C directly to the hotel, a better deal if you're not traveling alone). From the bus terminal there was a free mini-bus to the Hyatt. Although the mini-bus was difficult to find, all personel were helpful and friendly. On the return trip to Dorval, I walked to the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, to catch the bus directly to airport. Much easier if you don't mind the 5 block walk.

Check-in at the hotel was quick, smooth, and very friendly. In other bulletin boards, I had read warnings of attempts by desk personel offering to 'upgrade' accommodations to Regency Club for additional payment. There were reports of misunderstandings of 'per night' and 'per stay' amounts. Nothing was offered when I checked in.

My room was nicely appointed and the bed very comfortable. Plenty of towels, coffee maker and clear indications of additional charges for internet and phone. Plenty of lighting in the room, but, the bathroom had one small halogen-type light above the sink, and was VERY dark. This room would have been a problem for someone applying makeup.

The concierge was helpful in giving me directions for using the metro (subway), and provided maps and helpful advice. Actually this was the case in every situation with locals. Montreal is a truely sophisticated and friendly city.

Didn't use the pool or fitness center, but, it seemed to be popular and busy when I passed by.

The Hyatt is part of a shopping and restaurant complex that has an informal food court for quick meals. The other hotel and on-street restaurants in the immediate area were busy the entire holiday weekend.

Check out was effecient and friendly.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank jjb415
Gatineau, QC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2005

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Montreal at the end of July 2005 as it was the best rate we could get in a 4/5* hotel in downtown Montreal during this busy time (both the Francofolies, going on in front of the hotel and Divers-Cité in the village). For the price we paid, the hotel was perfect! The last time I stayed at this location was back in 2001 when it was still a Wyndham and the public areas haven't changed much since. Back then, Wyndham had just redone everything as the previous occupants, the Le Meridien chain, had left it in a sad shape. So lobby/bar area are the same as they've been in the last 5 years, except that the carpets and some furniture were changed. I liked the style they had before in the lobby so I'm glad they didn't really change it but the new furniture is very sleek and modern. You won't find yourself in a flower-power style Marriott here.

LOCATION: Depending on what you're up to, I think it's one of the best location of all downtown Montreal hotels. It's at the start of the shopping strip on St-Catherine, right in front of la Place-des-Arts (performing arts center) and the Contemporary arts museum. That's If you walk toward the west. Heading east on St-Catherine, you'll find yourself in the middle of a ton of strip clubs, the University district and the gay village, a 10-minute walk away. 5 minutes heading east, you'll also end up on St-Laurent and St-Denis which has tons of great restaurants with nices patios. It's also where the French clubbing scene happens (the more "English clubbing" scene, where most of the underage american students go, is on Crescent, much farther away but heading west). Old-Montreal, altough we didn't go, I've walked from this hotel to Old-Mtl before and it's a 10-minute walk If you're a quick walker, 20-minute walk If you're legs aren't what they used to be. This being my 30th time or so in Montreal, I can tell you that you will waste time taking the subway (changing from the green to the orange line will be necessary so you'll go east and then back west again). But the Métro (subway) is a safe and quick way to practically anywhere else (But If you're like me and you like walking, walk, you'll discover Montréal more) Don't be bothered by the homeless and punks begging on the streets, this is a very safe city and they are harmless (well, most of them, exceptions exist everywhere). Toronto might look "cleaner" in that respect but I believe this is mostly due to the fact that beggars are not tolerated (by-law) in T.O, while this isn't the case in Montreal. Finally, the hotel is in the huge "Complexe Desjardins", which is 3 office towers connected with a shopping mall, the Hyatt and the immense underground garage. Something I noticed in a previous review, the subway IS accessible without going outside, practical in the winter time. Take the parking elevators to Level 2, "Place" (lobby is on the 6th floor).

SERVICE: I thought the service was excellent. I don't think it compares to anything I've received in the last 3 years in Montreal. Hotel was sold-out but 5 clerks were working the reception desk and I got my room in 5 minutes. Had requested 2 doubles non-smoking and that's what I got. The Francofolies stage being in front of the hotel, she asked If I would prefer a room on the 7th floor with a view and the music or a quieter one on the 10th floor at the back on the Regency Club Level. I opted for the later (but the rooms are apparently all the same anyways). Still great that they asked. Contrary to the previous reviewer, the concierge gave us wonderful restaurants reccomendations and was extremely polite. Security staff, pool staff, everyone was nice and greeted us without being overwhelming. Not pretentious at all either. Even though we are French speakers, I didn't see English-speaking guests being treated differently.

ROOMS: Great renovations. Now that's really something they've changed since they took over in 2003. Everyting was new and modern, GREAT bed (Pillotop mattresses and tons of feather pillows). They did have fitted sheets. CD player in room, mini-fridge, quiet but cold A/C and finally, they did the bathrooms which are now up to par! The room is exactly like what you see on the Hyatt website. Hallways a little dark but it's the modern, cool style of the hotel I guess. It's relaxing to say the least.

POOL/FITNESS: This as also changed since Wyndham/Meridien... I definately think that anyone who's seen the pool's shape before and after will agree that it was larger and nicer before. BUT, the fitness facilities, the terrace/gardens and the pool area overall are much brighter and feel like a little oasis in the middle of town. Very nice.

PARKING: Warning! Do not use the Valet parking. It's outrageously overpiced and may spoil your stay. At 23$ per day+tips, it's definately a rip-off, even in Montreal. This becomes even more obvious when you know that they park you car in the Complexe's garage (just like it has been done since it opened in 1976) and you can do just the same yourself and from Friday 4 p.m to Monday 9 a.m, the daily maximum is 8$. 2 nights=8+8=16$ with taxes. Hyatt's rate: 23+23=46... I saved 30$! On weekdays, I saw a daily max of 16$... you're still saving 7$... So don't be puzzled, pass the front entrance of the hotel on Jeanne-Mance and a few meters after, you'll see the sign for "Parking, Complexe Desjardins". It is all the same and elevators will get you right to the lobby.

Overall, I will say: book with confidence and ignore the negative reviews. It's comfy, quietly luxurious and well-located, in my top 3 Montreal hotels. I wouldn't book it at more than 200$/night though.

• Stayed July 2005
30 Thank CdnWT
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2005

We stayed for 10 days at the Hyatt Regency in Montreal. It was expensive and not worth it. Our complaints: poor housekeeping (the room staff shorted us on toilet paper, kleenex, left dirty glasses in the room and did not replace them, made our bed with sheets so short they pulled out every night we slept on them); the bathroom (very dimly lit with one tiny bulb, no close-up shaving mirror); no full-length mirror in the room; had to wait an average of 15 to 20 minutes to get into the breakfast buffet on the weekends (the manager put some people together at a large table and ignored the rest of us; when he saw someone he knew he asked, "How long have you been waiting?" When she answered "15 minutes," he said "Oh, that's not so bad."); very nasty service at breakfast (we were afraid to ask our waitress for something--she was so irritable. Another table complained about her and the manager said, "Maybe she's just having a bad day.") Sometimes silverware was missing at breakfast and newspapers were not available. When we asked for a newspaper, we were told that if the manager had time, he would try to find us one. Then he gave a newspaper to a man sitting near us. We asked the concierge for the address of a restaurant. He gave us the wrong address and we walked for a half hour in the wrong direction until we found someone who knew the restaurant. All in all, this was a bad experience. There are so many problems this hotel needs to address from physical facilities to attitudes that we cannot see how they will ever improve. Until they do, do not stay at the Hyatt Regency in Montreal.

7 Thank michelesteve

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

Just came back from a 4 night stay at the Hyatt, and we loved it. The room was very tastefully decorated, staff was very pleasant and helpful and the hotel is only a block away from the metro! (That's their subway system.)

Suggestions:
*If bringing your car, don't park at the hotel's parking; it's $23 nite! Around the corner on Bleury Street, you can find parking for $10/nite!
*As for the metro (which is very easy to navigate), do yourself a favor and buy the 3 day tourist pass (only $16 or $18 CAD, can't remember) - but well worth it as it's good for the metro AND the busses (otherwise each separate ride is $2.50).
*Also regarding the metro, the easiest way to access it from the hotel is to walk out the main entrance & go right (towards the art museum) stay on Jeanne-Mance with the museum on your right - at the end of the street is the metro. It took us almost 3 days to figure that out!
*There's a decent place for breakfast 1 block on Ste Catherine (walking away from the museum) from the hotel called 'Petit Dejeuner' (at least it was the only words I noticed on the restaurant) - which means Breakfast apparently...they serve breakfast until 3pm!!! (Good for those late nite partiers!)
*And if you are into the bar/club scene, make sure you hit Crescent Street, that's definately where the action is!

• Stayed August 2005
20 Thank RoseOfMexico
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

This was my first visit to Montreal and we had to find a hotel on relatively short notice. We used an online service to book the hotel and received a great rate of $74 US per night for 3 nights. While we were there, there was a giant music festival going on in the streets below, La Francofiles, or something like that...we couldn't hear a thing in the hotel room. The hotel is within walking distance of Old Montreal and the river, the metro is right across the street, the underground mall can be accessed through the basement, and the rooms were very clean, spacious, and quiet. Good A/C. I did not access the pool or fitness center to comment on that. There is a parking garage attached underground which cost about $50 for three days. The parking garage is so clean its almost sterile. The service was great as well. If you're worried about not speaking French...don't. Everyone in Montreal readily switched between fluent French and English without making you feel stupid. If you can get the same rate, it is a spectacular bargain. Enjoy Montreal.

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank Mariner71
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

Stayed there during the grand prix week-end. Very friendly and professional staff, a decent breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms, brand new bathrooms. We had a regular room and it was just what you would expect from a good quality hotel - clean, spacious, nice beds, convenient location (stayed all over the world - had better, but this is what you pay for in this case). I was a bit concerned having read some of the negative reviews on this site, but had a good time and no problems at all. Highly recommended for either a business or a private stay.

And yes, Montreal is French-speaking. They speak English at the hotel fine, but nobody is expected to speak English, where other languages are official.

• Stayed June 2005