“Great Location, Complicated Elevator System, Service Spotty”

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #59 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
canada
“Great Location, Complicated Elevator System, Service Spotty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for a girls weekend. We booked on hotwire, so got a good rate. I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel. More on that....
We planned to do a lot of walking, so the location was the main reason we chose this hotel, as it is right on Ste Catherine and a short walk to both China town and Old Montreal. The Museum of Contemporary Art is right across the street from the hotel. The location is very convenient.
For the most part, the service was friendly and efficient, however, I booked a massage and ended up waiting almost 45 minutes because the appointment before mine showed up late. He should have had his appointment shortened accordingly, rather than push mine back. No accomodations were offered other than an apology. Despite this, the massage was very good, and much needed after a long day of travel.
Entering and exiting the hotel is a little confusing. There is one set of elevators to access the street, parking garage and reception. Another bank of elevators accesses the rooms and the pool/spa. And yet another bank of elevators accesses underground shops and the food court, which is part of the Desjardens Shopping Complex.
I had asked for a late check out, when I checked in, and was told a 1pm check out, at no extra charge, was no problem. However, on the day of departure, our room keys stopped working at 11am, and when I inquired, I was told that if we wanted to keep the room beyond 12, there would a charge of $94.00 plus tax! Needless to say, we vacated the room, and weren't happy. They did store our luggage at no charge, but I would expect that service of a hotel of this caliber anyway.
Complimentary orange and lemon ice water is offered in the lobby, which was a nice touch. The desk staff were happy to provide suggestions and directions.
The room (on the second floor) was tired and in need of "refreshing". It did offer an interesting view of the Museum where a large, outdoor, art exhibit was being projected at night, so we did enjoy the view. There is quite a bit of noise from the street, though not intolerable. The beds were firm.
My daughter enjoyed the pool, which seemed to always be busy.
We also enjoyed room service. Breakfast was delivered on time, still hot, and the food was good.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to those interested in shopping and sight-seeing, but I wouldn't pay full price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank travellingsooncanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel had been the first one that I had ever booked through the discount website Hotwire and I was pleasantly surprised. Upon initial reveal that this would be the hotel I'd be staying at I was kind of skeptical because I had immediately come to TripAdvisor to read the reviews. I had been a little weary after having read through quite a few reviews because they had mostly been pretty disconcerting. HOWEVER was I ever glad that my stay was the complete opposite of what I had read. The service was incredibly warm and very helpful. I had called the hotel directly more than once, the first time was to inquire about having a king size bed and sure enough there were no issues AND no extra charges. They were willing to help right away and the phone call lasted no more than a couple of minutes. The second time I had called was to inquire about the security deposit they would be taking for damages and how much it would cost. I was graciously told it would be 50$ a day (if paying by credit, 200$ if it is cash) and I was happy to see that there were no surprises at check in!
The reviews I had read were very concerned about the state of the hotel since it had been going through some renovations however again I was pleasantly surprised that the renovations had been completed by my stay because the hotel was beautiful and modern. AMAZING amenities, they had amazing views from the pool deck (although the pool seemed a little small) and even a sauna and steam room. The rooms were comfortable and minus the few doors slamming here and there (what do you expect from a hotel right?) my stay was very pleasurable!

2 Thank Samantha P
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I only was in town for a 1 day meeting. Check in was quick, and room was easy to find. I Had dinner in the bar/lounge that was pricy, but excellent cuisine. The modern decor, and expansive bars were very nice. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I used valet for parking and found convenient for my quick departure the next day. I would recommend to the business traveller, and families looking for clean, downtown hotel with updated modern decor and amenities. When staying in Montreal I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
gigi2016, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will visit us again soon for a longer stay.

Ginette Roy
Cherry Valley Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have stayed in a couple of dozen hotels in Montreal through Hotwire and after getting this hotel is was concerned about the mixed reviews. I don't see what anyone could complain about. The service was professional, the room comfortable, the amenities were excellent including a nice pool with a cool steam room that is shared along with the sauna. It is located near the place des arts which means you can walk to the museum of fine arts or old Montreal comfortably.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here on a package with Porter while attending the Osheaga festival. Hotel is conveniently located - walking distance to shopping, bars, & restaurants, and very close to a metro stop. The entrance is a little hard to find - they need better signs. Staff were courteous. As it was a busy weekend, we didn't get a room with 2 beds as requested, but my friend and I didn't mind sharing a king-sized bed. Hotel was very clean, and nicely decorated. The pool was lovely - has a skylight and patio doors that open to let the breeze in. We also thoroughly enjoyed post-concert cocktails at the bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Armstrong, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel was beyond beautiful in the downtown of Montreal. The lounge restaurant was to die for. I loved hanging out at the friendly Bar and lounge. The ladies that work there are genuine and delightful. They had everyone interacting and feeling comfortable. Pricing was out of this world though. Glass of wine and wings were $40.00. Delicious.

The room was clean luxurious and comfortable. Coffee was okay and it was nice not to have coffee brewing in the bathroom as some high end hotels still do. The concierge service was beyond outstanding and made sure that I had a cab at the correct time each morning. If you need the name of a good driver in downtown Montreal that won't rip you off and is very respectful and helpful please message me on here. He is worth using.

I had no problem with the english/french situation as they were fully bilingual. Impressive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

2nd time at this hotel for a weekend away from the kids. We wanted to spend a relaxing weekend doing nothing but relaxing and unfortunately we realized the Hyatt couldn't compare to other 4-star hotels in the area. Since our goal was to simply relax and stay in this time, the hotel was going to be tested.

Underground parking was nice, keep driving inside the garage till you see the hotel signs. It can be a bit far from where you parked. But still nice to be right under the hotel, especially during bad weather. Check-in was fast and friendly, but they put us in an adjoining room and we could hear everything in the next room (what they were saying, what TV shows they were watching, etc.) so we asked to switch rooms.

Rooms are over all nice and clean, quiet, and beds are good. Bathrooms are small and not the greatest but I can live with the average rating since it was clean. We decided to rent a movie and stay in on our first night, $17/movie and the quality was so fuzzy (like using antennas) that we had to call front desk to refund our money! We wanted room service but couldn't justify $18/burger so we just went to the 2nd floor food court and picked up some $5/burgers.

Gym had enough equipment to keep me busy and the pool was nice. The indoor swimming pool is heated so great for kids but is small and can get crowded quickly. Internet was $15/day which is excessive but there are free internet options in the lobby and shopping mall food court if you need it. There were quite a few conventions that weekend so the lobby can get quite busy.

We had read bad reviews about the breakfast buffet but wanted to give it a try anyways... What a mistake! $20/cold continental breakfast or $25/warm breakfast. Seriously? I've had some amazing breakfast buffets, none of them were worth $25/person... Sadly, this one fell so far off the mark it was embarrassing and awkward for paying customers. Omelette cook went missing and wasn't around for 15 minutes, food was not filled, selection was TERRIBLE, and you can't order off the menu till much later. Compared to the $18 breakfast buffet at the Omni Hotel, this one loses by a long shot!

Overall, the location is good; close to Old Montreal and across the street from Chinatown. Be careful coming here during event nights at the convention center since everyone parks in the same underground garage. The hotel above a small mall is really convenient to get what you need, especially food from the food court! Unfortunately, the beauty of the hotel couldn't hide some quality issues for guest.

Parking options: Outdoor private lot $14/day... Underground garage $20/day... Front door valet $32/day.

5 Thank Khoazy