“well placed”

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #60 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 31, 2014

In May 2012 I stayed there for two nights in a standard room. Everything was clean and I had a wonderful view from my room. They had a rich breakfast buffet which tasted very good. The hotel is in the city centre of Montreal and is a good point to start a trip. The only negative thing I can say is that they had not enough "do not disturb"-signs - but that's just a little thing. I was invited to stay there and so I compared the prices from now and I think it is worth it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,890)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would like to say right up front that I am still waiting for a response from this Hotel. My comments were left at the front desk at check-out, I have emailed them, as well as completed their on-line survey when sent to me upon my return. I stayed at this hotel from Dec 30 - Jan 2/14 and am still waiting for a reply. My preference is to deal with management one on one, however enough time has passed I will leave my comments on this forum. Check in and check out were very smooth, pleasant staff - absolutely no problems with this. Upon check-in we were asked to sign a seperate form as we were staying over NewYears. The form indicated that there would be a zero tolerance for noise and this would result in immediate eviction. Saying that there was terrible noise on our floor every night. There was yelling and fighting, people were being slammed up against our door. We were actually scared to leave our room. We made several calls to the front desk and no one ever picked up the phone. We were instructed to wear wristbands, so that the hotel could keep track of their guests and try to remove the possibility of other guests being snuck in. Not once was my wristband, my husbands wristband or my daughters wristband ever checked. My 18 year old daughter on another floor did have hers checked on occasion. The firelarm was pulled on Jan 1 at 4:30 am. We evacuated through the stairwell to the main floor. It was absolute chaos. There was no one taking control, there was no hotel staff to assist, it quite frankly was dangerous. There was blood and blood-soaked clothing in the stairwells, which remained until the following day. There was urine in the elevators, vomit on hotel lobby couch, and the smell of pot in the rooms, elevator and corridors. A random hotel employee entered our room on New Years Eve at 11;30 pm. He did not knock, he simply swiped his keycard and entered our room. He quickly turned around and stated he had the wrong room. Certainly glad he did not choose a room that had young females in it. I spoke to Housekeeping on Jan 1 and let them know I was very happy with the way in which they cleaned our room. Saying that, the rest of the hotel did not appear to be vacuumed on Jan 1, as certainly it needed to be. Upon check-out on Jan 2 it was much tidier, appeared to have been cleaned. The rooms were adequate - nothing special. Needs some updating for sure. Tiles in bathroom were old and in need of replacing. I totally understand that we stayed here over New Years, and totally expect a busier, perhaps louder clientel, but this hotel failed in so many areas. My past experience with Hyatt has always been outstanding, however this location will never have my business again. Still waiting for some communication from the hotel, it would seem that their management team simply does not care or maybe their phones are still not working.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
gigi2016, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Ms. K:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Montréal.

Please know that such an experience is certainly not standard of our Hotel. A stay at the Hyatt Regency Montreal should always be an unforgettable and positive experience, as we put countless hours of effort into creating a great experience for our guests. However, we will certainly make improvements based on your experience.

In addition, your comments have been reviewed by all members of management as we continue striving to provide 100% guest satisfaction to all Hyatt Regency Montreal guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

When we checked-in, they gave us room 544. When we got upstairs, surprise !!! The room wasnt cleaned, bed wasnt made, towels were lilgering everywhere. Room was exactly how the previous client left it !!! (Very dissaopointing for a high quality hotel such asa Hyatt Regency !! Unacceptable, Should I say.) So they gave us room 538, which was not nearly as nice as 544, but its still better than a non-cleaned room.....

However, we I got back to the reception desk , and asked the manager how come this happened. He quietly said : it happens sometimes. Really ?! I asked for some kind of compensation/room upgrade which was greatly rejected. (hotel wasnt sold out that night, i asked).

The quality of the furniture was acceptable, the furniture was very old-school. Very deceiving if you compare to the ultra-modern lobby and lounge. The quality of the air is the room was bad, the air was very dry and hard to breathe-in.

I was left disappointed by my stay at this hotel , especially when you pay 280/night + parking fee. I was hoping for much more for my buck. And for this price you dont even have free wifi !! SMH !

Room Tip: please free-wifi
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lolo514
gigi2016, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of entering in a room which was not clean. Rooms availability are computer generated, and unfortunately a miscommunication occurred while researching a room for you. Rest assured that this kind of situation does not happen frequently.

We hope you will consider this as an isolated incident and give another chance to show you what it really means to stay at the Hyatt Regency Montreal.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The rooms were average, nothing special...just a typical two double beds and a small bathroom. All could have used an update. But for the price we paid, travel zoo special and the location I could have looked past the less then perfect room. Our first two nights were fine, beside the slow elevators! The last night, dec 30th was the most horrible night I have ever spent in a hotel. Rowdy guests checked into the room next door and were loud, and partied til wee hours of the morning. After 3 calls to the front desk for noise complaints, the guests were asked to leave but not til 4am. Pretty much ruining our entire night. I would never return to a hotel which cannot control rowdy guests.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon M

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

Staying at Hyatt Regency Montréal during New Year’s Eve should always be an unforgettable and positive experience, as we put countless hours of effort into creating a great experience for our guests as a rule. However, we will certainly make improvements based on the concerns that you have raised.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

HOTEL:
Hotel location was perfect for our needs, downtown with very short walk to old Montreal. Room was a bit small, with a few items needing obvious maintenance. Fitness facilities including pool, sauna, steam room were good, everything worked, no problems here. Hotel had elevator issues, had 4 of them, only one working. Notified front desk, he tried to get me through a door to pool level, but he couldn't open it, it was locked. He quickly gave up and returned to his post at the front desk. Staff were polite and friendly. Hotel charge for wi-fi: $15/day, ripoff ! Starbucks across the street was free.

PARKING
Self-serve parking in the underground was negotiated at $10/night. However, parking machine charged $40. Parking lot is not under Hyatt control, so got scammed here WATCH OUT.

BILLING
Bought this hotel through hotwire, so paid up in advance. I noticed $100 extra charge to my credit card when checking my statement upon getting home ! Front desk verbally confirmed account was settled upon checking out. THIS WAS UNAUTHORIZED. From date of charge, they charged upon arrival. Now have a fight to get money back.

Do not pay full price here, or you will feel ripped off. If you get a substantial discount, maybe you can overlook maintenance issues, but watch your credit card statement like a hawk ! Parking is a big problem in downtown Montreal, so if you elect to do self-serve parking, get the parking rate in writing prior to booking. Hotwire refused to confirm this ahead of time, despite my pointed questions on this topic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not Hyatt standard. The rooms are ok (beds comfy as always) and the location is good. But that is where it ends. When we checked in the lady at the counter gave us a suite with a king bed even though we booked two double beds (and we do that for a reason). Instead of trying to solve the issue she kept arguing that at our one night stay the week before we would have agreed that a king would be fine. I kept telling her that that was for a one night stay but doesn't mean that this applies to all future stays especially not for a seven night stay. There is a reason why we booked two beds. Unfortunately that lady seemed more concerned about telling the customer that this is what we agreed to LAST time. There was absolutely no need to discuss this any further. Fortunately the gold passport customer service as well as the very nice manager on duty were able to resolve this issue for us. If this would have been the only issue, I would have been a happy camper. Just want to point out that the manager really did everything she could have done and we were happy with the solution. However the hotel has some more issues. Most of it seems to staff that doesn't care. We ended up only staying 5 nights. Twice during that stay did we have to inform the staff during breakfast that there was mold on the bread. Not acceptable!!! Generally the staff during breakfast seemed more busy talking to each other rather than taking care of their guests ( I can take care of myself so I took the used dishes over to another table that wasn't cleaned up anyways and grabbed my coffee from the to-go table at the exit instead of continuously being ignored). The elevators seem to be an issue as well. Long lines and long wait times. Maybe it was because it was close to New Years but there were a lot of teenies in big groups and with loads of cases of beer, so it seemed more like a party hub. Probably one of our worst Hyatt stays. Should we come back to Montreal we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank SarahTX

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences. Rest assured that your comments were relayed to all managers concerned so proper measures can be taken to prevent re-occurrence of situations like these.

Again thank you for your valuable comments which help us improve our customer service.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My boys (ages 6 & 11) and I stayed at the Hyatt from December 26-30. We had a great time. The room was so comfy and clean that we stayed in it more than anticipated. The pool is much bigger than it appears in photos. Room service was great. Great location and its close to the Metro. The staff were professional, always helpful, courteous and genuinely happy. I would stay there again when in Montreal.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank noozhem

Thank you for taking time to share your positive feedback.

I am pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We certainly hope that you will visit us again in the future.