“Needs updates and better service”

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #57 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Atlanta, Georgia
“Needs updates and better service”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

For the price is not excellent. It seems that they need to keep up with maintenance and updating rooms. The service at the restaurant/bar was terrible. One night manager kept arguing with us about the "self-service" bar. Another bartender was missing all the requests. The room needed big time updates. Location was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had family in town and they decided to stay here but were very underwhelmed. The room was in need of refurbishing, the wallpaper was peeling, there's no fan in the bathroom, the carpets in the hall were grubby and stained. When I went into the washroom near the bar it was disgusting. One toilet was plugged and had overflowed. The waitress in the bar seemed to forget about us, it took over half an hour to get a drink. All in all, I would say this hotel falls well short of what we expected in a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Trois-Rivieres
Reviewed June 26, 2013

On the positive side: Efficient valet service. Renovated front desk and lounge areas. Nice self-service wine bar. Great pool. Close to the action during festivals. Relatively comfy bed. Very clean room (updated but not renovated in my opinion). My wife was there for a conference, and participants were treated very well. On the negative side: Terrible reservation service (they didn't record our specifications; we were told to call a few days before our arrival to confirm special rates for breakfast; when we did, there was no mention of this in our reservation and we couldn't get the special; we were given early check-in privileges in compensation). When we arrived at the front desk, our room was not ready and we were told we woudl have to wait a while. The man at the desk almost didn't look at us and barely spoke to us. When we came back later, the same man murmured something we didn't understand and left while we were standing right in front of him, and he didn't comeback. We finally got help from another staff member who didn't seem to be interested either (she typed on her computer for a long time without saying a word). I've never had an experience like this at a hotel in my life. As far as the room is concerned: bathroom was very small (almost no counter space). Not much storage (only 3 small drawers in the entire room). Cheap coffee maker. Work desk was not very functional. Refrigerator was unplugged and I had to reach behind the big piece of furniture to plug it. Power outlets were few and already overloaded. I've never seen so many items plugged in a power strip or an extension cord in a hotel room in my life. Our room was located away from the festival, and you should think about that when you place a reservation because things can get very noisy during summer (festival season), even on our side of the hotel. Really, I will not go back to this place unless I need to...

Room Tip: If you need your sleep, ask for a room away from Sainte-Catherine Street (place des festivals) durin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rama, Ontario
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency June 17th thro 20th while in Montreal on business. I was a little worried about going to a city where English was not the first language, but everyone l met or passed while walking, was smiling, friendly.

My room was clean and nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable and the water pressure was pretty good! I have no complaints about the room but noted the wallpaper peeling in the bathroom. On the downside, housekeeping, on my last day/night, was a disappointment. While the bed was made, housekeeping did not take out a small bag of garbage or newspapers l had piled. In addition, even tho l had used lotion and still had some in the bottle, my room lotion was not replenished. Small disappointments, but for $250 per night, l didn't expect sloppy housekeeping.

The hotel, with shopping on 2 levels and lots of parking ($20/day), is in a central location, and l think that's what one is paying for. I did find the hotel entrance with reception on 6th floor a bit confusing. And signage for ice, in the hotel, as well as ice storage, did not stand out and l had to ask staff to show me where it was (and she even had trouble finding it). Some carpet areas show wear that make the hotel look dingy. On the plus side, I was able to walk two blocks, underground, to and from my conference, if l chose.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Azeena J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Nshwaaswi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am very happy that your expectations were met by our amazing location, in regards to our housekeeping services, we will definitely do a follow up .

We all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Azeena Jiwan
Assistant Front Office Manager
Azeena.Jiwan@hyatt.com
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I didn’t intend to go to this hotel. It was designated for me on a third party hotel reservation website. I stayed there for 1 night with my wife. If you are driving there, you have the options of valet or self parking. I chose valet and costs $35.00 for a night. The service was quick. If you need your car, just call ahead from your room. Your car will be ready as you arrive at the door. The check-in process was quick. I was upgraded to a Regency Club room which breakfast and hors d’oeuvre are included. The room I took was a King bed. There was not much of a view. The bathroom was really small to my standard. The size of the room isn’t too bad. However, I suggest the hotel to change the A/C system in the room. It got really noisy at night and it woke me up. I had to turn it off so I could sleep.

The location of this hotel is not bad, not amazing. You are close to Ste-Catherine East but most actions are in the West. You have access to Complex Desjardins which is a mall that connects to the hotel. You can easily access the underground shopping centre. I believe it’s still one of the biggest ones in the world. If you would like to visit China town, it’s only a five minute walk. If you are going to Place des Arts for a show, it’s a two minute walk. The pool is an indoor pool. I didn’t go to the gym but it’s a good size. The restaurant inside the hotel is nicely decorated but the food isn’t that great. Overall, I find this a three and half stars hotel if you have to pay the full price for it. If you ask me if I would return….probably not if I have to pay. It’s not a bad hotel but it could be better.

Room Tip: High floors is good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Worldtluxtraveller
peter_cappello, Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear SamprasCanada,

Thanks so much for the review, I do hope you will come back again.

Warm regards,

P.Cappello
Management
peter.cappello@hyatt.com
Flushing, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel was centrally located within the Entertainment District of Montreal also within walking distance to Old Montreal, Downtown, Latin Quarter, China Town, and the Village. the hotel is attached to the Underground. During my stay I was able to experience the 25th Franco Follies d Montreal , the hotel has a outdoor patio accompanied by a wet bar offset the pool area which overlooked the whole festival. Other than being clean and well furnished my room wasn't anything special just a standard "Cookie Cutter" hotel room which I didn't mind, I didn't spend too much time in my room. The Staff was Great throughout my stay from Check in, Turn Down service and the Concierge Assisted me with setting up a day Tour. This is where I will stay when in Montreal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear odajojo83,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am very happy that your expectations were met by our amazing location and wonderful staff. Hopefully we can make this an annual occurrence!

Please do let me know if I can assist with your future accommodations at the Hyatt Regency Montreal.

P.Cappello
Management
peter.cappello@hyatt.com
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt several times when I arrive in Montreal. The location is excellent near Old Montreal, along St Catherine Street and close to the Metro. I had an executive suite and was extremely spacious, clean and had all the requirements I needed..free internet, breakfast etc..Plenty of Cafe's and Restaurants. The Regency Club room was a great idea for guests and privacy. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a lovely view overlooking the Arts Center with a spectacular fountain lights in the evening.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Azeena J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Mrs Kelbarbary E,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for staying with us and for the great summary of our hotel.

I would love to help you with your accommodations on your next trip to Montreal, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Azeena Jiwan