“Central location for downtown Montreal”

Hyatt Regency Montreal
Ranked #57 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Easy walk to various parts of Montreal. The location is well-suited to many Montreal activities and close to the Metro as well.

The rooms are nice although the hotel is bit tired. There was dirt or mould on the bathroom ceiling over the shower. The elevators and hallways could certainly use a refresh or some polish.

The system for handling luggage needs a review. I met one gentleman who waited more than an an hour for his bags to come to his room. I left my bag at the drop location for an hour and a half and was told it would be available downstairs when I wanted to leave by taxi. When I handed in my claim check two guys looked for my bag for 15 minutes only for me to spot my bag on the cart coming down from upstairs just then. Good thing I had allowed some extra time.

I did an upgrade for $20 which included a buffet breakfast and free internet which was a good deal.

Be aware there is a lot of construction on the road coming into the hotel. This is a problem in many parts of the downtown just now.

I would stay again happily.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyMontreal, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for being our Guest and for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the wait for luggage during your recent stay. There were 3 conventions in the hotel all arriving/departing at the same time with a very high demand for luggage assistance. While our Bell staff did the best they could with assistance from our Valet staff, admittedly, at times there was a delay.We hope to welcome you back again in the future in order to deliver on our promise of service excellence.
C.Laflamme, Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,925)

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Good location, and nice renovations from a few years ago. Currently quite a bit of road work going on therefore exiting the place is a pain. There's plenty of shops in the building itself, and easy walking to the main shopping strip. Pricey for what you get and compared to some of the other high end hotels in the area. But it was clean, quiet and the service was good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyMontreal, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for being our Guest and for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel. Our prime location in the heart of the downtown entertainment & shopping district is a favourite among our Guests. Yes, the roadwork being undertaken by the city on the street adjacent to the hotel will thankfully be completed by December. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
C.Laflamme

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is in a very central location for shopping. Montreal is very "walkable" and I enjoyed the walks to the old city and port as well as the major shopping spots on Ste Catherine & Sherbrooke. Our room was on the 5th floor. My only complaint about the room is the bathroom - quite simply one of the smallest hotel bathrooms I have ever experienced. There was only one light in the bathroom - very poor lighting. The bathroom was so small they couldn't even centre the shower head and tap in the bath area. It was very awkward. I'm not sure if this was unique to our room or if all of their bathrooms are that small - I would ask before returning. The staff was helpful although the concierge desk was not staffed. You had to ask the front desk for directions and assistance. I enjoyed the convenience of going downstairs to the Desjardins mall area - decent food court and a few small shops. The lobby is very modern and attractive. It's a bit awkward getting to the parking area (completely separate facility) but nothing that would deter me from returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DruxFam
HyattRegencyMontreal, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for being our Guest and for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service excellence that we strive for. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here one night as part of a (Taipan) tour package. We got an awesome deal on our entire package, incl this hotel. The lineup to check in @8:00 p.m. was quite long. Unfortunately we had 2 double beds (not a king which we prefer) which can't be pushed together because of the night table on the wall in the middle. Arrrgh. But the duvet was so soft and perfect. The room itself was unmemorable, but the bar next to the lobby looked cool and being right near Rue Ste. Catherine was convenient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karabana
HyattRegencyMontreal, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed our new trendy "Six Resto-Lounge" and hope you visit us again soon! Thank you for being our Guest.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked this hotel through Priceline's bidding system, so I didn't know which hotel I'd be getting. I was pleased to be put into a big name hotel, Hyatt, and to be so central in Montreal. Having read the other TripAdvisor reviews I knew it could be tricky to find the entrance, so that wasn't a problem. The lobby and communal areas were nice - nicer than I expected. However, the rooms and corridors themselves are pretty shabby. As other people have mentioned, the corridors have marked and ripped wallpaper, and the room itself clearly hadn't been updated in a long time. The other issue is clearly the elevators - there were queues of 30 people or more waiting for the elevators up to the room. I'm not sure why there is such a problem with this (other hotels don't tend to have more than 4 elevators?) but it's something the management should try to address.
However, given I only paid $100/night, it was fine - safe, clean, and in an excellent location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BostonianBrit
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A good upscale hotel well located across from Place des Art.
It is aging but well maintained with an accomodating, friendly staff.
The bathroom was a bit cramped but all other facilities were fine.
Access is a bit difficult due to street construction, but this is temporary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael B

Thank you for your positive comments and for having been our Guest. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip. This hotel is located right on the less glamourous part St-Catherine Street. It gives you easy access to the nicer part of St-Catherine and all the shopping within a 10 minute walk. The hotel is right next to China Town. It is located above a small mall, which is convenient for it's restaurants, pharmacy and bank machine. My work meetings were at the Palais des Congres (Congress Hall) which was about a 7 minute walk away. My colleagues who stayed at the Inter Continental and the Daulphin were much closer to the congress hall than I was.
There is a weird 2 elevator system to get to your room that proves to be a little bit annoying if you are coming and going a few times a day. The lobby and restaurant/bar are nice and modern.
The gym and the indoor pool are great. The TV in my room did not have a signal 2 mornings out of 4. There is a mini fridge in every room, I put mine to the coldest option and it barely kept anything cold (I was afraid to eat the yogourt I put in there cause it was so close to room temperature).
The bed was not very comfortable, felt the springs in my back. The shower was one of the weirdest configurations ever: The shower head is not in the centre of the shower wall, very close to the shower curtain which made it hard to be under the shower head without having to touch the old shower curtain.
The heating system made a sound every few minutes that drove me crazy and made me think someone was coming into my room every time. It would also keep me from falling asleep at times.
The doormen downstairs were nice and helpful. I ran into the person cleaning my room one day and she was very kind and. The staff at the front desk all looked bitter.
All in all, I am glad work paid for me to stay here. I would not stay here again if I need to come back to Montreal.

2  Thank mep23
HyattRegencyMontreal, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for your comments and for being our Guest. During your stay, the local cable company was effecting repair work in the downtown sector and all cable was out for 1 1/2 days. We truly apologize for this inconvenience. Unfortunately this was not in our control. In order for the minifridge to function on it's coldest setting, the control dial must be placed on Low (not high), and subsequently the temperature dial on coldest. Since our hotel is located above a Mall, our Guests usually appreciate that the elevators to the rooms are separate from the elevator to the Mall & parking. This provides security for our Guests.We do hope that you will give our hotel another chance in order to experience the Quality & Service Excellence that Hyatt hotels are known for.
C. Laflamme, Director of Guest Services