“Sometimes paying a bit more is worth getting a LOT more”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #140 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Sometimes paying a bit more is worth getting a LOT more”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Let's start off by mentionning that this place is situated very very close to the airport, so that might be an advantage or inconvinience, depending on how you see it! For proximity issues, maybe a plus, for noise issues, definitely a minus!

The hotel is outdated, kind of run down and you get the feeling things aren't about to change.
It's a very somber decor, the included morning breakfast is more like a taste test tour in a Costco and the overall atmosphere feels like you're trapped in the 80's...

The room wasn't bad: somewhat confortable bed, functionnal bathroom and that's it!.
For what you pay, i'd pay a bit more and go to the Hampton Inn Suites on the north side of the airport.

Room Tip: There are none. Unless you're just looking for a place to crash i'd go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2012

It's in a newer industrial park, so there's not much around to do. The motel is older but it was fine. The room was large and clean with a good, hot shower. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. I couldn't figure out how to use the AC but the staff told me how. There was a computer in the lobby for internet access.The free continental breakfast was good enough for us and included cold cereal, toast, muffins, Danishes, juice, tea, coffee, milk, but in a hot cafeteria. There is no restaurant nearby, but pamphlets for some delivery are available in the lobby. There is a bar in the lobby. IKEA is nearby. The hotel can't be easily accessed off Cote de Liesse . Coming from the Airport, exit Cote de Liesse onto Cavendish. Turn left on Griffith (opposite to IKEA) and go to the Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruckenbackdos
Toronto
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went to Montreal last wknd for a wedding. The best part of the hotel was the nice scent of the room. No restaurant that anyone mentioned. There was a continental breakfast. Woohoo... all the toast and cereal you could eat. It was served in what looked like a small cafeteria. No attendant and one table in the corner was filled with dirty dishes. It looked more like a bad do-drop-in shelter. Definitely not a place to brag about. Of all my travels throughout Canada, US(including Hawaii), UK and Jamaica, this place was disastrous is an understatement. I give it a 2 based only on the nice scent of our room. The queen size bed was more of a double and seemed like it was secondhand. We wouldn't have stayed longer than 2 nights. I was too disgusted to even take pictures. I guess that's why it's inexpensive but I'm still wondering if there was even a restaurant. We had to drive around just to get coffee.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but there!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy R
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel should be torn down. Here in the USA the Health Department would shut it down. I could ten pages on how disgusting this place is. Why bother? The hotel sits between to run down factories in an ugly parking lot. I suspect all furniture and HVAC are about 1980 original. Of course, the AC did not work. The TV was all fuzzy, the floor was dirty with worn out carpeting, the furniture was shabby and right out of an abandoned house. The place was noisy with crummy little ulgy curtains which hardly kept any light out. There was a massive HVAC unit on the roof which would kick on every 10 minutes and sound like a bomb going off. There has not been one penny put into this sickening slum in the last 20 years. I got this room off of Travelocity as a 'hidden value' hotel (name unknown). I will never use Travelocity again. I did not sleep a wink. Horrible in every way!

Tom H.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank 1THawk
alberta
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel through Air Canada for a place to shower and have a quick nap during a 6 hour layover. We requested a 3:30am wake up call that we did not get. When I asked the front desk clerk why we hadn't received our call she said that the system was down, yet another guest said that they had received their wake up call. Our room was 4 rooms down from the front desk and she never got off her fat !ss to wake us up. Good thing that my husband had suggested setting the alarm just in case. Our shuttle driver also decided that it would be a good idea to run to another hotel on the way to ours and do a little pickup. Not great if you have been up for 18 hours already. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chergib
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Where to begin. They did not have our reservation for smoking room and made this mistake on our stop over before and after our vacation. Property is in disrepair with dangerous ice on all walkways (no effort to clean it up. Beds pathetic; could hear noise of every adjacent rooms. Room not made up. Free breakfast better at homeless shelter then here. Al-round ghetto experience. Spend 20 bucks more and get a real hotel. Shut this place down

Room Tip: pick main floor as no elevators
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank soloist61
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The room was clean and ready at check in.
The front desk service was horrible. At first I was told that my reservation didn't include parking. When I pointed out that was the reason I was staying, she reread my paperwork and 'found' where it said parking was included. There was no restaurant on site so I was directed to a menu board. I had to place the order from my room as there was no courtesy phone. At checkout, I was charged $1 for the local call. I unwillingly accepted it until I returned to my room to see 'FREE LOCAL CALLS' written on the phone. When I insisted on a refund I was told they couldn't. I was adamant and the clerk finally relented and processed the transaction stating that she 'didn't see what the big deal was ... It's only a dollar'.
The night before, while waiting for my food, I decided to visit the bar. There was no attendant. To get a beer, I had to go to the front dear, get the key, serve myself. I wasn't able to get a second beer because the front desk was 'too busy' to pass me the key.
EXTREMELY DISATISSFIED

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Fr8guy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Hotel Le Prestige
Quartier des Spectacles
Hotel Casa Bella
Hotel Casa Bella
#117 of 165 in Montreal

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!