“Customer Service? Where???”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #141 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel through Air Canada for a place to shower and have a quick nap during a 6 hour layover. We requested a 3:30am wake up call that we did not get. When I asked the front desk clerk why we hadn't received our call she said that the system was down, yet another guest said that they had received their wake up call. Our room was 4 rooms down from the front desk and she never got off her fat !ss to wake us up. Good thing that my husband had suggested setting the alarm just in case. Our shuttle driver also decided that it would be a good idea to run to another hotel on the way to ours and do a little pickup. Not great if you have been up for 18 hours already. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chergib

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Where to begin. They did not have our reservation for smoking room and made this mistake on our stop over before and after our vacation. Property is in disrepair with dangerous ice on all walkways (no effort to clean it up. Beds pathetic; could hear noise of every adjacent rooms. Room not made up. Free breakfast better at homeless shelter then here. Al-round ghetto experience. Spend 20 bucks more and get a real hotel. Shut this place down

Room Tip: pick main floor as no elevators
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank soloist61
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The room was clean and ready at check in.
The front desk service was horrible. At first I was told that my reservation didn't include parking. When I pointed out that was the reason I was staying, she reread my paperwork and 'found' where it said parking was included. There was no restaurant on site so I was directed to a menu board. I had to place the order from my room as there was no courtesy phone. At checkout, I was charged $1 for the local call. I unwillingly accepted it until I returned to my room to see 'FREE LOCAL CALLS' written on the phone. When I insisted on a refund I was told they couldn't. I was adamant and the clerk finally relented and processed the transaction stating that she 'didn't see what the big deal was ... It's only a dollar'.
The night before, while waiting for my food, I decided to visit the bar. There was no attendant. To get a beer, I had to go to the front dear, get the key, serve myself. I wasn't able to get a second beer because the front desk was 'too busy' to pass me the key.
EXTREMELY DISATISSFIED

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Fr8guy
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I parked my car at the hotel for 7 days and had to pay 90$ tax included with one night stay afterwards. For me it was a pretty good deal. The receptionist was very rude as when I called from the airport to ask about the sign on the shuttle bus she was very offensive that the bus was there and I should have called to ask for it , I explained to her that I wasn't complaining and I just wanted to know the sign on the bus so I can know it at the airport , the shuttle bus has a sign of a different hotel too ( parks inn ) , the washroom was clogged and the room was outdated but it was okay and I didn't smell anything too , breakfast was croissant , coffee,milk. On checking out I found a lady with her dog in the lobby , I didn't know that it's pet friendly , if I knew it I wouldn't book it for sure. But considering what I paid for the parking only I was happy for the deal.

Room Tip: They have a wireless network. You just need an auth number from the receptionist.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Moe576Ali
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My mother and I read the reviews and thought that despite so many bad reviews there were still some people who had written good things about the hotel. Well, it is not worth the money and the bad experience. It is affordable but you end up paying more in stress and unhappiness!!! The hotel has a bad reputation as to how they treat their customers (my mother was told by other travellers as she was waiting over 1 hour for the shuttle). The receptionist was plainly rude, unhelpful and with an attitude (telling my mum that they cannot contact me because I live in Alberta. The receptionist said she could only dial local calls!!!). The room my mother stayed in was outdated and smelly. The bath was clogged. The swipe card to the room did not work. My mum asked about the shuttle before going to bed @ 2am. When she checked out @ 5am and asked when the next shuttle leaves for the airport, she was told that she needed to book first. She then asked the receptionist why she was not told the 1st time, the receptionist answered: well you did not ask!
In simple words: STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL! IGNORE THE GOOD REVIEWS. THE BAD REVIEWS ARE ACCURATE!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank alicathu
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Sleep in your car before staying at this place. This place is hard to find, stuck in the middle of an industrial park, was probably built in the early 50s and not renovated since except maybe to add a weird atrium so your room door, which formerly opened to the outdoors, now opens to the atrium. Spend $10 more and find someplace else nearby.

Room Tip: Bring your own food. They have none.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken A
Reviewed January 5, 2012

2nd stay at this property. It's affordable to stay in Montreal for a couple of days if you are going to visit family and drive. It's not exactly well connected to the public transit. The parking lot is huge, but most of the closest spots will be full with cars that stay there a long time. The hotel is rated 2 stars so it's not a luxury hotel. Breakfast is decent although limited in variety. Agree with an other rating that the room will influence the quality of the experience. This time, we were warm but the last time it was a bit cold. We had granit countertop while the last time it wasn't. Ultimately, I'll go back for the price.

Room Tip: Even the hall was relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank labrecquee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
1 mi away
#105 of 165 in Montreal
Hotel Le Prestige
Hotel Le Prestige
#133 of 165 in Montreal

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!