“A total dump”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #142 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Sleep in your car before staying at this place. This place is hard to find, stuck in the middle of an industrial park, was probably built in the early 50s and not renovated since except maybe to add a weird atrium so your room door, which formerly opened to the outdoors, now opens to the atrium. Spend $10 more and find someplace else nearby.

Room Tip: Bring your own food. They have none.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken A

Reviewed January 5, 2012

2nd stay at this property. It's affordable to stay in Montreal for a couple of days if you are going to visit family and drive. It's not exactly well connected to the public transit. The parking lot is huge, but most of the closest spots will be full with cars that stay there a long time. The hotel is rated 2 stars so it's not a luxury hotel. Breakfast is decent although limited in variety. Agree with an other rating that the room will influence the quality of the experience. This time, we were warm but the last time it was a bit cold. We had granit countertop while the last time it wasn't. Ultimately, I'll go back for the price.

Room Tip: Even the hall was relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank labrecquee
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I left my car here while on vacation and stayed 1 night afterwards. No complaints about the parking. I was very unhappy with the room.

The room we were assigned ended up being full of folded-up beds, shoes, and cleaning carts ... it was being used for storage I guess. I went back to the lobby to ask for a new room.
The next room was a smoking room (and it was VERY smoky), but I requested non-smoking when I booked so I went back to the front desk to change AGAIN.
The next room I was given had not been cleaned ... the bed was unmade and the towels were dirty.
The FOURTH room we were assigned looked ok through the window but our swipe card would not work. I went back for a new card. The receptionist made me a new card which also did not work. She then gave me a real key to use, saying that I had to bring it back after.
(All rooms were on the 2nd floor, so I made 6 different trips to the front with my luggage).

I think the key she gave me might have been the master key or something (WTF???????) because at 1am we woke up to the shuttle bus driver and his friend knocking on the door asking for the key back. Not a phone call from the front desk asking for the key, but sending two men up to knock on my door in the middle of the night asking me to open the door for them.

The thermostat didn't work and the room was very hot.

I asked for a discount in the morning ... the new receptionist was sympathetic but said she could only give me a $10 discount because I booked online.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tcdubs
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel from the Econo Lodge chain is a little isolated and not very easy to find, specially if you arrive late by night, since it is located within an industrial area. If you are hungry, you will have to drive a few miles to reach the nearest restaurant. On the other hand, it's clean and well maintained and about 3 miles from the Montreal international airport.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The older rooms do not have AC and are usually very hot. They don't have any windows that open to the outside, so it is brutal even in the cooler months! You need to stay in one of the rooms above the front desk area, or toward the back parking lot. Those rooms are newer and have AC. Some have jacuzzi tubs too.

Breakfast is toast(whole wheat or white bread) jam, butter, unidentifiable muffins, Orange Juice, Coffee and Cereal with Milk. Its not that bad actually!

Don't expect the Hilton and you will be satisfied!

Room Tip: Above the front desk/breakfast area! Ask for a room with windows that open!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2011

It isn't a fabulous hotel but the sheets smelled like they were recently bleached and the room was clean. It is a little difficult to find if you aren't familiar with the area. The staff checked us in even though we were early, which was super nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2011

If the smell of stale cigarettes, the obtrusive look of 70s-style blue and orange carpeting, and soap that smells like rendered animal fat are your kinds of things, then by golly gee Mister, you found the right hotel!

But, if you're like everyone else and don't fancy the above, I'd consider staying away. Far away.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MaestroBobCobb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Days Inn & Conference Centre -  Montreal Airport
#127 of 165 in Montreal
Le Chabrol Hotel & Suites
Le Chabrol Hotel & Suites
#111 of 165 in Montreal

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!