“Very Good Value for the money”
Review of Hotel Y Montreal

Hotel Y Montreal
Ranked #70 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Good value for the money. Best price for the neighborhood. Clean. Close to everything. We enjoyed our trip. We will stay here in the future when we come back. Had everything we needed, including a full kitchen and laundry.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I would have given this 5 stars, great location, great helpful staff, very clean rooms and shared bathrooms. The only caveat for me was that the wifi sucked. I was only there for 1 night, and didn't have to use it that much, but it could be an issue for someone who likes to stay in.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kdb_1989
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed at this Y and do not recommend it at all. The room was no frills, very basic with shared bathroom. There is a communal kitchen and living room. The main problem is with the staff and housekeeping there. The day I checked in there was suddenly a fire alarm and no one from the front desk told people what to do. I ended up calling them and they said to go down the stairs. So we did. The front desk did not know what happened. Later on I found it was a false alarm and/or some cleaning staff used a chemical that set off the alarm. So because of his/her ignorancce the building had to be evacuated.
In the morning one of their housekeepers began knocking on my door before the 12noon check out time and even though I had a DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door. I told her that I had not checked out yet and not to knock on my door. Then I went to the bathroom and it was still before noon and the DO NOT DISTURB sign was still on the door, and I when I got back a few minutes later my room door was opened so she obviously went in without my consent. My purse and belongings were in the room. Whether or not she looked through my wallet or personal belongings I do not know at this time. Her actions are totally unacceptable and she claims she does not speak English. I informed the front desk who said she was told to knock on the door by another housekeeper but no comment as to why she went into my room. And why would the other housekeeper tell her to knock on the door? It sounds like b.s. So something was going on there. I also received no apology whatsoever from the front desk.
This place is not safe and not trustworthy. Staff are extremely rude. Best to avoid this one. It is not so cheap as to their hotel rates either.

Room Tip: Beware of this place. Very shady.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Marcy L
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Nice hotel, large room and very well located. You can drop off from the airport bus two blocks away from the hotel (and drop-in to go to the airport just one block away).
The hotel is at the corner of Crescent Stree, with lots of irish pubs, nice beers and food and just 5 minutes walk from subway station and Saint Catherine Street (lots of stores).

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SeuJose
Reviewed June 8, 2014

5 friends and I, age 20 were off to Montreal with a french program to stay the night, since it being the Grand Prix there were no affordable places for us to stay as a large group, therefore we chose Hotel Y. Once the manager found out we were extra people in the room he kicked out three 20 year old girls at 4am and told them to fend for themselves. The workers there had no sympathy for that we were young girls needing a place to sleep. The facility was clean, although the we also did not like the concept of the shared bathroom (resembled university residences) Location was great, right by St.Catherine's street shopping, which was fun for us, although with the respect given by the employees I would not go back. They are not flexible, accommodating people.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kayla d
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here a few nights and found the rooms were ok for the price and location. They are very basic and there is a communal computer, kitchen and living room area and phone. The bathrooms are old and toilets need fixing. On a few occasions we noticed feces etc in the toilets unflushed. Some of the toilets you have to hold the handled down for almost a minute to flush. The maids are weird. They keep watching the guests like they are spying on them plus they seem very lazy. They move very slowly. One of them was particularly mean looking and rude. They also had some strange people staying there who seemed like they were homeless. We didn`t think too hilghly of that either.
In all, it`s good if you are on a budget and want a room for just a few nights.

Room Tip: Good for the budget minded for a short stay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marta S
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was a perfect choice for staying at downtown Montreal, just a short walk to the Bell Centre and right near lots of shopping. Expect basic accomodations and not the most comfortable matresses, but it was clean and had everything needed for a weekend trip to Montreal. The staff were all very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends