All reviewsprivate bathroomcommunal kitchenairport bus stopbell centrelay your headsmall showerdouble bedcoffee makerbudget hotelmain floorlaundry roomwalking distanceten minute walkcentral locationexcellent locationrestaurant downstairsrue st catherine
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Good location. Igual you like walking close down tiene and St catherine ave, and about 20 to 30 minutes to old montreal. The room Washington small but very clean. Bathroom were clean too. I recommend to have breakfast two blocks away in chez cora, delicious!! @

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 19, 2012

If you want to be in the middle of it all in Montreal and not break the bank, this hotel is great for that. Great shopping and nightlife in the area, and if you want to explore the rest of the city then you just hop on the metro which is so close.

The rooms aren't spectacular or anything worth writing home about, but they serve their purpose as a place for me to sleep at night. I did enough research ahead of time to know that this would just be a very basic room.

If you don't need luxury, then stay here and save your money so that you can spend it enjoying the city!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank O_Angela
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This place is a lot more like a normal, very small apartment rather than a hotel. There were some ink stains on the comforter, chipped spots in the sink, a little bit of mildew in hard to reach spots in the shower. But it was clean in general and was a decent place to sleep. I found the temperature to be quite comfortable although I couldn't control the heat. It was quiet while I was there. Great spot if you are going to the Bell Center which is VERY close. The internet was unprotected and extremely unreliable which was very frustrating. The shampoo is in a soap-like container in the wall of the shower so you might want to bring your own.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dygnifyn
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is a good place to spend a night,but one of the smallest rooms I have ever seen.The price is right,and right downtown,near Old Montreal/China town/St Catherine's,and the train station.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank RichandKim
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I'd previous visited Montreal a few years ago and stayed at the HI hostel during a few blocks from this YWCA hostel. I didn't enjoy that particular experience for various reasons (you can read that review) so wanted to try somewhere else that still offered good value for money. Based on reviews on this site, I chose the YWCA for one week following a (hopefully) permanent move to Montreal. I wasn't disappointed!

First off, the room I booked was on the 6th floor, which is the hostel. Floor 7 is the hotel Y (didn't stay there so not reviewing). The hostel is serviced by a lift so for people with reduced mobility, you won't have any problems. The room was basic but for about $50 a night, that's expected. It had a TV, sink, chest of drawers, closet, fridge (very welcome), kettle, alarm clock and a single bed. It was very comfortable.

The room with toilets was just down the corridor. It was always clean and most of the time I was using it alone. The shower room is also clean and separated into four or five private showers with attached changing cubicles so complete privacy is guaranteed. The water temperature was hot, although it did get hotter throughout the shower so I had to constantly turn the temperature down. But hey, at least it had hot water!

Other facilities included a computer room with computer and internet. I didn't use that because I had my laptop and the whole place has free wi-fi. There's also a laundry room, which again I didn't use, but I think it was $1. There was also a kitchen with attached dining room with fridges, cupboards etc. Most of the kitchen equipment seemed to be provided, although there was a serious shortfall of spoons!

The location of the hostel is also really good. It's about a 1 minute walk to St Catherine Ouest, a good shopping street. The nearest supermarket was just 10 minutes away at most. The Lucien L'allier metro stop was a block away and there were other metro stations just a bit further away. The hostel is also really close to the central train station - 5 minutes walk (depending on how you catch the traffic lights). And the 747 express bus from the airport stops a block or two away as well. So a great location!

The only problem I found with this hostel is that the walls are quite thin. That seems to be a Canadian thing though. Unfortunately I had someone inconsiderate next to me for part of my stay who liked to watch TV starting at 4am and it always woke me up to. I could also hear people walking in the corridor quite easily, especially if they had heels on. But those are my only complaints!

In short, if I ever needed to stay in a hostel again then I'd pick this place. It was good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo