“Not Bad”

Ranked #68 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Not Bad”
Reviewed December 17, 2007

The hotel wasn't bad at all. It was in a great location. Located at the corner of Boulevard Rene-Levesque Ouest and Rue. Crescent. It was just a one block walk up Rue. Crescent to Rue. St. Catherine (which is the main shopping district).

The room was huge. I stayed in a private single room (with one double bed and a private bathroom). The price was $195.00 plus tax, which came out to about $230.00. I was expecting something a bit dinky, but the room was very big (bigger than my bedroom at home). I was in room 717 which is just as you get off the elevator on the 7th floor. The room was cold, which was understandable as the heat was turned off. What I didn't understand is that when I arrived and turned the heat on, only cold air came out of the ventilation system. This was true for the entire trip.

There was also a bit of trouble with some of the electrical outlets. Some worked and some didn't. They were working and then they wouldn't work five minutes later. You had to alternate which outlet you plugged the TV into.

The cleaning staff was great. They came at around 10 or 11 am every morning to ask if you would like your room serviced. I found it a bit funny, that the staff spoke only French or Spanish (as opposed to English which is one of the national languages). They couldn't even understand basic terms in English, but they did understand my butchered French.

The decor was a bit outdated, but all in all, it wasn't bad. It was a bonus that I was able to check into the room early. I arrived at 11 am and check in wasn't until 3 pm. I went to the hotel to store my bags, but they did one even better. They told me the room was ready and allowed me to check in early. *Note* When you are making your reservation online, the hotel is not actually charging you for your room. You actually pay when you check in, and the price is a bit more expensive than the price on their website (as it includes the tax).

The staff was very helpful when I was asking directions and there was always someone there who was friendly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room temperature
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Nicole T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
phoenix, az
Reviewed October 11, 2007

We were arriving between 2 busy wks, just after Gay Pride Parade and right before the Nascar Weekend , so there was not much left in the choices for accommodations. However, this wonderful "find" was a complete pleasant surprise. I consider the price a steal considering the season, the location and of course the amenities of the facility. We booked a private room w/ a private bath ensuite, it was extremely clean , the beds were very high standard, the hallways, stairwells, lobby and reception area are above quality and clean. I would rate this on par with a 4-star Best Western or a Ramada. The subway stop Lucien Allier is a short 3minute walk onto a safe area. There are so many eating choices available, variety and price wise. Shopping abounds all around , the main churches and museums are just subways stops all around. The museum pass is worth it as well as the 3-day subway tkt. Rue St Denis is easily accessible by subway to eat out at night. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone.

• Liked — location cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank racoontraveler
London
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I stayed here for 6 nights during the Jazz Festival --- had a fantastic time seeing Manu Chao live! Unfortunately, I would not recommend this hotel to others. I have stayed at the YWCA in Vancouver which is basically a decent budget hotel at hostel prices, but this was just a hostel at budget hotel prices. The double room we had was quite small and basic --- on the plus side, even though we opted for shared bathroom, there was a private sink. Really the main complaint was the noise. There seemed to be little to no sound insulation. Added to that, even though we were staying there for quite a long time, they put us in the worst situated room -- right next to the kitchen. And every other night it seemed, some loud group of kids would have a party there until quite late. Yes, they did send someone to clear them out when requested, but in order to request it I had to trundle down to the lobby in my sleepwear because there weren't any phones in the rooms! We could have gone to a HI hostel and had similar/better service and paid much less. I should mention to their credit that they did give us a 10% discount after we complained, but that was not enough compensation for such a tiring stay. We would have preferred to move elsewhere, but they forced us to pay in full in advance (and we probably wouldn't have been able to find an alternative during such a busy period). Visit Montreal though: it is a fun, vibrant city!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kangster
NY
Reviewed December 19, 2006

Stayed here for the weekend. Was much nicer place then I thought it would be considering price I paid /$45 per night/ Had to share the bathroom but wasn't too bad at all. I was the only one using it. Receptionists were helpful and freindly. Very clean, spacious room. Was able to sleep through the night on their bed. Location was the best. Right on the Crescent street /going out area/. It is close to St Cathrine's shopping area. Also walking distance to the Fine Art Museum. The bus station is 15 minutes drive away. Would definitely recommend if you are on the budget but want to be in the right location. The only thing, bring your own hair dryer. They kept running out of them.

• Liked — location/price
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank NY_Recommends
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We stayed there for 4 nights in august and they charged us for a double bed room with shared bathroom and toilets for about 330 $ CAD (taxes included) : 82$ CAD / night.

It's a cheap place because it's very near from the center of Montreal by the subway or within a 20 min walk and also the MontRoyal Hills. Our room was nice and clean, a little small (but for sleeping is enough) but not at all the showers and the toilets for the men were look clean (a lot of hairs).

We stayed a the 7th floor wich seems to be less good than the 6th or 8th which have private bathrooms.

You could store your own food in a fridge in the shared kitchen where there is some foods and beverages distributors, an internet point (wich don't work very well - i can't connect but i've payed 2£ instead !) wich is nioce for have your breakfast in the morning.

Another point is it's very though to park your car in the streets near the hotel. We get 2 statements... so you should park your car in a carpark for all the day...

• Liked — Location / price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of men showers / internet access / rough bed / carpark
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KaRbOuiLLe
Toronto
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at the YWCA during the last weekend of the Jazz Festival in July 2006. We'll most likely stay here again, the next time we visit Montreal - here's why:
- although we had a corner room (at Rene-Levesque and Crescent) there was not a lot of street noise
- the room was made up everyday
- towels and soap are provided
- the area is very safe and great for students and women travelling alone
- there's a coffee shop on the main level where you can buy food in the morning, and drink machines with pop/juice/water with reasonable prices
- there's a TV in every room (which shouldn't matter because you're in Montreal to see the city!)
- there's a common eating area, with a fridge

Here's some things that would have made our stay Excellent, instead of Just Average:
- there's NO overnight parking, we had to park 1 block away and it was $20 to leave our car there overnight (they raised the price for the jazz festival)
- our room was by the elevators, and the doors are very thin so we could hear everytime someone called the elevator or got ice from the ice machine. Didn't make for a great sleep, but I used earplugs the next night, and it was fine.
- our shower was a hand-held nozzle, which was fine, except the hook holding it to the wall was broken so it was hung on the wall using a hair elastic, which is fine, except the nozzle didn't face the middle of the shower.

All in all, I would say this hotel is a great place for students, families, single travellers, and anyone on a budget - it's a great price compared to hostels, hotels and bed and breakfasts in Montreal. It's location is great, right near the metro, and St. Cathrines. I wouldn't reccommend this place if you are expecting the same service as a Fairmont Hotel or anything fancy.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank lil_starfish
albany, ny
Reviewed January 3, 2006

Me, my bf and two girl friends went up for New Year's weekend. We wanted a place

1. cheap

2. clean

3. great location

4. safe

This place has it. BETTER THAN A HOTEL. we would have been charged up the --- at a hotel, this place was great. We got one room with own bathroom for 75 a night, can't beat it. The other room for the two girls had three beds but they only paid 60 a night, had a shared bathroom shower like a college dorm, but every place was clean. Staff was nice. It is literally right in the best location for the bars on Crescent (St Laurent is too stuck up and French anyway). Went to Thursdays for New Years because they only charged 20 for a ticket and we had a great time..and wide range of ages which was fine for us. We are all 20-22.

GREAT!! DEF RECOMMEND!!!
close to everything and exactly what you want in a tourist city...

• Stayed December 2005