“GOOD DRIVING STOPOVER IN MONTREAL”

Hotel Universel Montreal
Ranked #78 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Hotel Auberge is located just next to the Botanical Garden and Olympic Stadium. Great photoshots can be had at this location. It is also near the Metro Station Vial that is about 10 mins walk. With free parking provided, one can hop onto the trains to the city without having to contend with parking problems there. Nearby the hotel is Place Versailles which is a big shopping mall. It is 5 mins away by car but hotel shuttle can bring you there anytime on request. Don't forget to tip the driver for this. Based on my internet search, I reckon there are only two hotels in Montreal that provide free parking - the other one is way out of the city with no nearby Metro station. The other freebie is the internet access in your rooms.

The front desk is helpful and speaks good English. We were allocated a room 2 hours of check in time. A great relief after a long drive.

For hotel stay I have a few quibbles: there is no soap receptacles in the standing shower - one has to place shampoo and soap bottles on the floor or edge of the shower basin. The extra bed provided sagged badly at the centre and this is bad for the back. Laying the mattress on the floor is the best course of action.

Although it was great to have free parking, I discovered to my horror a nail stuck deliberately on my car tire just before I was about to move off. Having only picked up the car at Toronto and then making two brief stops before arriving at the hotel, I cannot but conclude that it took place at hotel confines. The security called to investigate cannot do much. Lesson learnt - park your car infront of the hotel. I parked at the side of the hotel as my room was there and overlook the my parked car. But what's the use? Some wild parties the night before could have done the damage. Well, small inconvenience, as Avis replaced me another car at the Montreal Airport.

Barring the prank on the car, the hotel stay is quite pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 7, 2010

I was at this hotel for 2 nights at Easter time to visit family and relatives in Montreal area. I was there with my 2 teenagers (12 and 14 years old) and my wife. It wasn’t my first visit at this hotel; I have been there few years ago, when Montreal had a pro baseball team (± 4 years ago), the Expos; it is located at 5 minutes walk to the Olympic stadium.
The hotel rooms are as I remember; nice, large, clean and bright. As all the rooms are located in the back of the hotel; no street noise.
The lobby is large, but a little bit boring.
The room I got had a mini-fridge, microwave, free wireless internet (average hotels speed) and 2 double beds really comfortable. I would have appreciated two queens but it was OK!
This hotel is not downtown as mentioned by Expedia (I knew it before!) but it is a really nice location for a family with at walking distance: Olympic installations, Biodome (nature museum), Botanical garden, Saputo stadium (pro soccer), movies theatre and many restaurants. It’s also at less than 10 minutes walk to a subway station: in 8 to 10 minutes you will be downtown Montreal thru the subway. But as the parking is free at the hotel, you won’t have to pay the expensive downtown parking price!
The hotel have also a large indoor pool with a sauna (didn’t use it this time), a restaurant and a bar. The American breakfast was included with my room; it was a bargain as we had access to the continental buffet and we had service table for the “hot part” of the breakfast: we had French toast, pancakes, eggs (cook as I like, not the usual scrambled eggs), sausages, bacon… More than we expect!
The operation hours of the restaurant are variable; when I was there it wasn’t open at night and for lunch. But you can go at the restaurants located near the hotel (2 minutes by foot) like Score (family style with an impressive salad bar) or Madison steakhouse.
For the same price, you won’t find same quality hotel downtown Montreal and especially when you add parking price. If you don’t mind using Montreal subway (safe and fast) and not being in Montreal nightlife you will enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank alainl03
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Upon waking the first morning I found bite marks all over my chest arms and legs and have since found that they are bed bugs. What a nightmare!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mammymoo
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The staff were all nice and pretty friendly with good English. I was staying for 3 nights on business and I tagged on 2 extra nights for leisure at the end. I wanted to have the charges go to my business credit card for the first three nights and to pay separately for the second two. I told this to them when I called to extend my stay from 3 nights to 5. Then I told them this when I checked in. Then I told them again when I asked for a room upgrade after the first night (I'll get to the reason for this in a second). After all this, I ended up with 4 nights on my corporate card and 1 night on my personal card. Was this really so complicated?

More significant was how uncomfortable the beds were. I originally booked a standard room. I don't need to have anything fancy, just a comfortable place to sleep. The mattress might as well have been made of rock. I had a lot of trouble sleeping and my lower back was really sore the next morning (which made my first day of work a lot harder than it had to be).

The next day I had to ask if they had anything more comfortable. I know it wasn't just me being picky since I had a friend along with me for the trip and she was just as uncomfortable as I was. We got upgraded to a deluxe room at no extra cost, but they had already booked all the deluxe rooms for the last day of our stay so we had to go back to a standard room. The deluxe room was really pretty basic. I think the beds in those rooms should be the "standard" ones.

The standard room we got for our last night was pretty atrocious. In addition to the super uncomfortable beds, the toilet was running (though it was pretty quite), turning the air-conditioning down seemed to turn the heat on, and the sound on the tv was really fuzzy no matter what the volume was set to. On top of all that there was a constant swishing sound like we were beside their washing machines or something.

The location was good for my work, but I should have moved to a hotel downtown for the rest of my stay as it wasn't terribly convenient for the leisure side of my trip. It was walking distance to a metro station, but it was a good 10 minute walk. They had a shuttle bus that would take us to the metro for free, but that doesn't help for the trip back to the hotel after a long day of sight-seeing or a night out. The metro ride itself was a good 25 minutes to get downtown, of course depending on where you're going downtown.

The outdoor pool was nice. The first full day we were there the hot tub was out of service, but it was back up and running for the rest of our stay. It was good and hot. The indoor pool didn't really look very nice but I didn't personally use it so I can't say how good it is. There seemed to be a bunch of kids there who really liked it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank calgarygirl44
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I booked a 4 week stay at Auberge Universel to be close to work. After one night in the musty, outdated, uncomfortable room I had to upgrade. A short list of the problems include stains on the mattress, mold on the grout, junk tv, and horrible wifi connection. I must say, in comparison, the "Deluxe" room (which isn't so deluxe) was a paradise. The mattress was actually comfortable, the TV was newer, and the bathroom was bigger. After two weeks I decided to cancel and re-book downtown, it's worth the cab ride. If you stay here - UPGRADE, it's well worth the $20 per night!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 9, 2008

we stayed at the auberge universel for 10 days as our son was taking part in the swimming olympic trials at the nearby olympic stadium. We had a room on the 4th floor which was spacious and clean. There are no complaints about this hotel. There were no problems with the elevator and lots of stairs so getting up and down was not an issue. Because of the swimming trials the hotel was fully booked and yet our rooms were always cleaned by the time we returned from morning prelims around 11am. Food is quite pricey but was good. There are quite a few cheaper places to eat within a five minute walk of the hotel. The shuttle was great although we walked most of the time as its so near to the stadium. We paid half the amount of other clubs in the downtown hotels per night. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We had athletes on various floors and nobody had any complaints about this hotel. I hear the renovated rooms are very nice but we were perfectly ok with the standard rooms.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 29, 2008

The front desk service was great, but we couldn't sleep! Because the cleaning service was extremely noisy early in the morning. I don't recommend it if you want to sleep. Do not park in the underground parking because the concrete structure is crumbling, and my vehicle was cover in tinny rocks the following morning.

WARNING: the quote we were given upon checking was different when we checked out.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple