“Good location for Soccer game”

Hotel Universel Montreal
Ranked #77 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“Good location for Soccer game”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Right across the street from Saputo Stadium and convenient to the Metro as well. The hotel also offers shuttle service to local attractions. Staff was friendly and helpful. The trip was basically a weekend visit to Montreal to see the Phila. Union play at Saputo Stadium so the location was perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
shipm0m

I am glad that you found our hotel convenient to the locations you needed to go and thank you for the comments you made.

Carlo Spina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel is close (walking distance) to the Biodome, Olympic Park, Insectarium and Botanical Gardens. Family friendly restaurants are also within walking distance (Scores and Madison Bar and Eatery). The restaurant at the hotel is also good and reasonably priced. We ate there for a dinner and a breakfast and were very pleased with the service and the food. My kids loved the outdoor pool. We had a standard room but we upgraded because it was just not a nice room (dark, arcrylic bedspreads, hard beds, scratchy blankets) and we were going to be there for three nights. See pics on their website. Our upgraded room was on the seventh floor. It had beautiful white duvets, sheets and pillows. The beds were way more comfy. It was still a small room with older furniture but it was nicer. The bathroom was clean but had no fan so everything would get kind of slippery after a shower. The carpet needed to be replaced and I found a pill (not mine) on the floor. We have a baby who is just starting to crawl so this was a concern. We requested more towels and more were brought up within 15 minutes. The front desk staff were also very helpful and friendly. We had a good stay at the Hotel Universel and a great trip to Montreal. We had a good deal on the rooms even with the upgrade so I wasn't to displeased with it's shortcomings.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Oberefamily,
I have taken note of the comments of your stay with us and I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and we will defently correct ourselves in ensuring that it does not happen again .

Dieppe, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Sorry for my english, I am french!!
If you want to stay at this hotel, you really need to stay at the floor where the rooms are renovated, if they are not available, just go elsewhere. I checked the other floors and you can't believe you are in the same hotel! They did an amazing job in renovation, but I still don't understand why the renovation are not standardized.... so some may have a beautiful room and someone else can have, for the same price, a crappy old carpetty room ?!?! I've never seen a hotel take so much time making renovation through their rooms, do they need money to continue??? If so, I find that really sad in a sense for everybody... at least, they should adjust their price... I don't know if they did, really! Anyway, my room was nice, big enough for my (I was alone!). The shower was nice (type rainfall) and the shampoo-conditionner smell delicious!!! -thank for the choice!!!!- The bed was confortable, I never smelled any bad odor or felt humidity (like some complained...)The service was very good from two young guy and the price of the room was very good! I will return for sure when I'll be in Montreal.... Hope it helps! again sorry for my english!

Room Tip: take a renovated floor for your room, otherwise, forget that hotel!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Isalarouche,
I thank you for the comments made and I would like to simply let you know that we are trying to do the renovations as quickly as possible and the as many floors as possible and no there is no problem with any of your statement. As for the non renovated rooms we do sell them at a lower price. I am glad that you like our renoavated rooms and I hope the next time you come and visit we will have finished the rest.
Thank you for your comments.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Not what was expected! My day was crushed after i realized i had to stay there for 2 nights! it looks ok from outside and inside the lobby. As soon as we entered our floor , i thought we were going to sauna , or swim pool or somewhere with hight level of humidity . But it was our super room with old style TV , stained rug and overused towels. plus specific smell . OMG , my son asked me if we can sleep in the car .

Room Tip: There is 5 and 6 floor that only renovated
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Alexa155019
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Alexa155019

I'm sorry that your stay with us was not to your expectation and I'm sorry that you ended up getting one of our none renovated floors. It would of been our pleasure to have changed your room and given you a renovated if asked and then maybe your opinion would of been different.

We are renovating our floors and unfortunately we have not finished renovating.

Carlo Spina

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Universel for one night as it was within close proximity of the areas we wished to visit. The check-in was fast and curtious. Although the rooms are slated as superior, the decor is dated the rug flooring was dirty. Furthermore the washrooms would need a good overhaul. Most annoying is the opening of the electronic gate to leave the property by car. The line-ups were rediculous. Front desk explanation was that the system was too old. Note:No flat screen TV.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Frank 1001_9,

I'm sorry that you found the gate to be annoying , but this is done to protect the clients of the hotel. As for the rooms I'm sorry to hear that they did not meet to your expectations , we try to please everyone but unfortunately everyone has different taste.
Though , I thank you and your comments will be looked into.

Hoosick Falls, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We planned a trip to Montreal to bring our teenagers to experience Canada for a few days.

Check in did not go as smooth as it should as we were charged $150 deposit for an incidental fee. No where did I see that or hear that when I was making my reservation. I keep a very low limit on my card and there would not be enough to hold the room fee and the deposit. They they tried to put it on a different card and that card was frozen for an international charge and we finally just paid for one night and the deposit and said we would figure it out the next day. That was fine until the next day my card was showing that the entire stay and deposit were still being held on my card AND on the other cards as well! I contacted the desk and they said they would take care of it. The next day, still being held. We are talking hundreds of dollars I could now not use and now both cards were tied up. Third day they said it was cancelled but the card company said it wasn't. They needed to call. The hotel called to cancel but didn't know the amount of the charge (how did the accounting not know???) so they wouldn't release it. Day 4 I talked to accounting AGAIN and gave them the amount so they could call again and it was released. Finally! When I got home I noticed a $44 charge. Called and they said it was a mistake and they would fix it. One week later, still not fixed. Then my sister said she was charged also! I don't think someone knows what they are doing. Also if there is a mandated hold for a deposit, that should be noted when making the reservation!

The first night after a very long drive we arrived admist storms. We were glad to know they had an indoor AND outdoor pool! We went down to the indoor pool to find about 15 people in it and it was PACKED! It had to be the smallest pool I have ever seen. The adults were more than willing to use the jacuzzi until we saw it was not a commercial one but one you would see in someone's backyard that seated 6 max. It had 3 steps up to get in but it was awkward and people couldn't get in without falling or slipping. One woman hurt her foot. Them temp was only 100 degress. We didn't bother with that. It had a nice sauna, but that was it. We went back to our room.

Otherwise the room was fine and clean.

Room Tip: The beds were REALLY hard
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Elahar,
I have read your comment that you made on our hotel and I am sorry to hear that your check-in didn't go as smooth as you expected. I would like to simply mention that is clearly stated on the registration card and any hotel you will stay at required the non smoking deposit. I clearly remember the problem you had with your pre-authorization and I clearly remember that we had called but they never unfroze the amount. Unfortunately , we do not have any control on that part and I believe we tried to help as much as possible within our limits.
As for the error we are sorry that this occured and once again we corrected it without any questions and as for the pool unfortunately there is nothing that can be done on the size it is for convenience for the clients as for the jacuzzi once again these are the models that are availble we cannot change this matter and there are no commercial jaccuzi's out there unless it is built in ground.
I'm sorry that we were not be able to have satified you as you would have wished and we will take your comment in reference to the hold on your credit card and the deposit and ensure that the customers are aware.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed at the Universal for one night visiting the biodome and botanical gardens.

Starting with my phone calls to reservations, I had tons of questions and the gentleman that was taking my call was extremely helpful.

We arrived at the hotel at 8 am in time to open the biodome at 9am. We got to the hotel for our package tickets and was offered free early check in since no one was occupying our suite. This was a huge plus as my 1 year old was quickly exhausted from the biodome and needed a nap. Back to hotel for nap time and man at reception desk greet us and asks if everything is good with the room...everything was just as we needed.
The suite was not anything spectacular but we did not have a renovated suite as we already knew we would not have it since we got to check in so early. The king size bed was extremely comfortable with its 6 pillows and super comfy duvet. Beautiful Jacuzzi tub in bathroom separated shower.
Unexpected microwave was very helpful to have to warm up my baby's bottles, kitchen table to feed my son.
Pools were very nice, indoor was closed for maintenance but outdoor pool was wonderful, hotel supplied clean towel to use.
Restaurant was pretty good, great service for the most part. Fair prices. Patio is beautiful and original lighting on floor boards were quite cool to see. Received complimentary breakfast with our room. Choose what you want out of the menu and never see a bill, tip was included.
The elevator was somewhat slow but when you think about how old the building must be it makes perfect sense.
When I went to get ice to fill my cooler, a maid noticed me using a very thing bag and offered me a much thicker one. She was very nice, she could have just went on with her cleaning and not cared.
Day of departure for me was a little stressful with my son as he was exhausted from our adventures. He needed a nap at 11am before we went to the botanical gardens. We asked for a cost to have late checkout and was told since the room was not occupied we were welcome to stay in the room until 2pm AT NO COST! This was my highlight!
This hotel went above and beyond to ensure we had everything that we needed for our mini-family vacation! I would highly recommend it to anyone but especially those travelling with a baby. I could not have asked for better service! Thank you to all Universal Hotel Staff!!! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carlo085, General Manager at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Travelwithbaby101,

On belhalf of myself and my staff we are very happy to hear that we made your stay with us a good and pleasant experience.

Carlo Spina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Royal Versailles Hotel
Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Parc Suites Hotel
Parc Suites Hotel
#18 of 163 in Montreal
Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Chateau de l'Argoat
Chateau de l'Argoat
#30 of 163 in Montreal

Been to Hotel Universel Montreal? Share your experiences!