“Served a Purpose”
Review of Lord Berri

Lord Berri
Ranked #119 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This past weekend some friends & I stayed at the Lord Berri as part of a bachelor party weekend. It also happened to be the weekend of the Formula 1 Grand Prix. Because of this, reasonably priced hotel rooms were nearly non-existent. One guy found the Lord Berri. They had enough rooms for us (3), and was reasonably located and priced. Upon arriving we were treated to a Ferrari convertable in the lobby. The staff was very friendly while checking us in. I left my car out front while we went to place our bags in the rooms. The elevator was slow, and made me dizzy. The rooms were tidy, but not overly clean. The bathroom, adequate at best. The beds are very hard. At least there is free WiFi, and a freezer section in the fridge. The hotel offers underground parking for $17 per day. This sounded like a good enough deal. The garage, however is very small and hard to maneuver inside. And as we were checking out, another guest was complaining to the staff that his car had had its window broken, and items stolen. Luckily my car was untouched, but it made me wonder about the neighborhood, and actual security of the hotel. The neighborhood is right next to St. Catherine Street, which is rather sketchy late at night. The hotel served a purpose, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sam J

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is a great value. It is located in downtown Montreal, just a few minutes' walk to Old Montreal, Chinatown, the Plateau region (lots of great restaurants!), McGill University, Mount Royal, and the Rue Berri subway stop (which can take you directly to Olympic Park). The room was nice - it had two very comfortable queen beds and a spacious bathroom. (Note: I'm coming from a college dorm setting so my standards for rooms and mattresses may be different.)

The parking situation is a little tricky. Parking in Montreal is very expensive ($3/hr at the meters) and the hotel has a limited number of parking spaces (for about $17+tax). If they run out of spaces, you have to find parking on your own (which is what happened to us). Fortunately the lot adjacent to the hotel offers covered and uncovered parking at $10 daytime / $15 overnight, the drawback being you have to pay multiple times if you exit and re-enter. Apparently you shouldn't park overnight at a parking meter due to street cleaning.

The hotel staff, especially Jonathan, was incredibly helpful. He noticed that this was our first time in Montreal, so he drew on a map for us and explained the best places to visit, how to get there, transportation costs, and what things to watch out for. For example, we arrived right in the middle of the student protests (regarding the tuition hike) and Jonathan warned us that the protest march starts at 8pm at the corner of the street that the hotel is on and moves towards the plateau region, so it will get pretty loud with students banging on pots. But the demonstrations are typically peaceful, and advised us to cross the street and avoid the protestors if we are afraid.

For the price we paid (around $120/night), the friendliness of the staff (even the cleaning ladies!), the prime location of the hotel, and the comfort of the rooms, I thought Hotel Lord Berri was a great value!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank geniejava
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Unpleasant people, noisy at night and very weird crowd... Avoid it as much as you can

Room Tip: If you want a good stay, good and respectful hotel, neighbours, DO NOT GO TO LORD BERRI, period.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fredo S
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved the restaurant at the hotel - especially the 'all you can eat mussels' The creme brulee is also worth a special mention - it was delicious!. Hotel has a good gift shop and laundry service. Room was good and the hotel is in a good location. Included breakfast was only average. We enjoyed our 3 night stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here years ago when this hotel was new. That was a long time ago, and the hotel is well maintained, but compared to other offerings in Montreal, it's become a bit tired. It's become the hotel of choice for inexpensive group accommodation, so it's got a good rate, a good location, but the hotel is a bit tired.

Nothing remarkable about this place, but nothing particularly objectionable about it either.

If you're looking for an inexpensive hotel in a reasonable location, it's pretty good.

Customer service is a little lacking, and parking is scarce.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank StephenM465
Reviewed March 16, 2012

By far the WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE I have ever encountered!!!!

I got to the hotel mid afternoon, there were a large group of teenagers everywhere in front of the building and in the lobby, I checked into my hotel room, upon entering the hotel room I heard a toilet flush, I thought to myself, wow, very thin walls, then the bathroom door opens and out walks a housekeeper, she giggles and says oh I forgot to put something in there... and darts out the door, I go in and check the washroom, she had clearly used the washroom. I was tired so I went to bed early, at approx 1230am there was yelling and screaming going on in the hallway, kids partying this went on until about 6-7am, I complained to the front desk they moved me to a different room, I asked for compensation, the guy at the desk told me he would ask a supervisor, and call me, he never called back at 430am I was again awakend by screaming and yelling again, I checked out the following day, complained to the front desk, they told me because I booked on Hotels.com that they could not refund me my money, thankfully I had eaten at the restaurant, so I had them eat that bill which was 93.00 but two nights of no sleep, I should have gotten a full refund. The hotel had security, but that was just so they could argue with the teenagers in the hallway, rather then kick them out so the other guests could enjoy their stay, which I found rediculous. I ate in the restaurant, both nights I had the chef's special, Ceaser salad was amazing, however the main course, wasnt a thrill, the rice and the vegetables were perfectly cooked, but the pork it was easy to taste that it was left overs and you could tell it was tough. The following night, I had Ceaser salad and lasagna, the ceaser this night was lame, hardly any dressing on it, I would have asked for some but the servers were to busy arguing with each other that I never botherd,, the lasagna was such a small portion that I ended up leaving hungry. Breakfast was good on both days, but you can tell that consistancy is an issue in this restaurant, not to mention that there was only 3 tables in the restaurant, and I counted 7 servers standing around... way to go with putting your labour cost through the roof....now I know why they charge 25 bucks a plate...

I will not return to this location ever again, and will not recommend it to anyone, I have stayed at several hotels, and I guarantee you this one was by far the WORST!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank P.Shields
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel. Check -in was smooth.
We got to back to the room and it was very basic. It was very cold and we turned on the baseboard heaters which did eventually warm up the room.We were told that parking was full and would have to park at the lot next door-It would be $10 . Upon check-out we went to our car and were told it was $15 by the attendant[who was not there overnight]. He pointed to a small sign over his parking shack showing $15 -there was a large sign at street saying $10Theattendant was rude ect-I told reception at the hotel and were advised they do not own the lot and nothing they can do.Bottom line basic hotel close to old Montreal -very very basic bot only $85/night plus tax plus parking -you get what you pay for

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family