“Very Comfortable Rooms”

Loews Hotel Vogue
Ranked #7 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Great staff, clean and comfortable rooms make this a great hotel for business or leisure travel. Note, however, that the fitness room is a little tight with minimal room or mats for stretching or floor work.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mosno
Mathieu L, General Manager at Loews Hotel Vogue, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Loews Hotel Vogue. I`m sorry you found that our fitness center did not meet your expectations. Please do let us know the next time and we will make arrangements for you to use a more elaborate gym offsite if you would prefer. I greatly appreciate your thoughtful review and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Hotel Vogue anytime your travels bring you to Montreal.

Regards

Mathieu

Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

First of all we loved the staff. Attentive and good to talk too they were the highlight of our stay. On the other hand the hotel room was a big disappointment. No slippers (called reception and they said the hotel doesn't offer any - are we to walk barefoot where ppl walk with their shoes and also get into bed with dirty feet I wonder). Second the bathroom although renovated is dated and not practical. The shower was not renovated and it really shows. Drawers do not close properly and the safe is something out of an 90s horror movie. Overall wasn't happy and certainly not up to 5 class standards.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Manama_Man

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your experience at Loews did not meet your expectations, however I do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to improve our facilities. We strive to provide excellence and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Please do not hesitate contacting me directly if you return to Montreal.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Loews Hotel Vogue. The staff was so friendly, the renovated rooms perfect for our needs, and the location was great: in the heart of downtown, but so easy to get to the metro through the Peel stop on the green line. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the decor very trendy. We appreciated that the concierge put a letter under our door apologizing in advance for emergency construction that would happen across the street the next morning. Just an example of the above-and-beyond service we received. If I ever visit Montreal again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ecatsnow

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Loews Hotel Vogue. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and loved our product and location. I will certainly share your compliments with our staff so they know their efforts do not go unnoticed. I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Montreal!

Warm Regards,
Mathieu Larochelle

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had a wonderful experience staying at Loews Hotel Vogue. It was our anniversary and wewere treated royally. We would highly recommend staying there. We also had a great breakfast at La Societe Bistro associated with the hotel. The blueberry & ricotta pancakes and the omelet were delicious. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: We always choose a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Mathieu L, General Manager at Loews Hotel Vogue, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Loews Hotel Vogue. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the Loews experience and the service provided. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another romantic getaway! Thank you again for your thoughtful review and please let me know when you plan to visit us again, it will be my pleasure to meet you!

Regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We booked a premium room for 6 nights while visiting Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix. Check-in was polite and friendly, and the bell-staff whisked our bags from the taxi to our room. The room was great: a nice size, good lighting, loads of power points, lots of mirrors, heavy curtains, a huge bathroom with good amenities, and a very comfortable bed. There's a well-stocked mini-bar; sadly I don't expect hotel chains to give me space for my own items these days although it would be a nice touch. Corridors were quiet & well-kept, and the housekeeping services were perfect. We heard no noise from inside the hotel, and the external noise wasn't too bad considering it was the F1 weekend, the hotel is situated between two of the main street party areas, and our room was on a low floor overlooking the street. We enjoyed the location, although risk-averse visitors might want to avoid the alleyways that provide the quickest route to Peel metro station, which are full of rubbish, men urinating, and people shooting up (not to mention the proximity to a large brothel). For people who're more familiar with London (UK), the location is a bit like being sandwiched between Oxford St and Bond St, with plenty of shops and restaurants.

Wifi worked well - the free package is limited to 3 devices which can be a bit restrictive for 2 people, but we were able to juggle phones, tablets and laptops over the duration of our stay and the speed was decent. Some things didn't work as well, such as the leaky sink plug which hardly any hotel gets right (why???), but had I reported it I expect it would have been handled as swiftly and efficiently as the dodgy hairdryer.

We received a free newspaper every morning and were also pleasantly surprised to receive a couple of free gifts during our stay: one evening we returned to find a couple of miniature liqueurs to celebrate the Grand Prix, and another afternoon we came home to 2 bottles of flavoured water and some cliff bars. But those, and the friendly doormen, were the only signs of personal service during our stay. I found it hard to work out who the Loews chain are trying to be. It certainly isn't a high-end chain, where they know how to make a customer feel valued without even appearing to try. And it's not a mid-range chain where you don't expect much as standard but know they can provide services if requested to do so. The hotel is confusing, because it seems to market itself as high-end but it left me feeling disappointed. When I contacted the hotel in advance to let them know my Loews membership details, the initial reply was unhelpful; they couldn't add it to my reservation because I'd booked via an online booking agent (something that is much more convenient for me, as I prefer to pay in my own currency). All the other hotels on my trip managed to do it, so either Loews have a much poorer computer system, or else they can't be bothered. I enquired at the same time about the cost of an extra night; I was told they weren't able to extend the original booking, again because it was through a third party, but there was no proactive attempt to sell me a room themselves. It seemed bizarre, as if they didn't want my custom.

The theme of "you didn't book directly with us" (despite paying the same as if I had) persisted throughout the stay. Their in-room literature talks of their "signature turndown service". Mid-range chains offer this on request; at high-end hotels you don't have to ask, it just happens. The in-room literature implies it happens automatically, but after several days of seeing no sign of an evening service I phoned the front desk to ask about it and was told I didn't get it automatically because I hadn't booked directly with them. Apparently, as a second-class guest, if I'd asked for it I would have been offered it, but apparently their official policy is not to offer it at check-in or explain to guests how it works. We would have appreciated fresh towels and the free bottled water that we would have received had we been seen as valued guests.

Another annoying issue was that after discussing transport options with the front desk, we were advised to use our Casino parking passes (issued by the Grand Prix organisers) so a taxi could get us into the correct track area. We only found out on Sunday night, after 3 days of taxi transportation, that the hotel had organised free shuttle services for guests. When I asked the hotel manager why we hadn't been told of this when we discussed transport options with them, she didn't seem to be particularly bothered about it. I did eventually receive an apology for this and for the lack of turndown service, and she sent a bottle of wine up to our room, but I felt that this was only because I said I was unhappy - not because they felt they'd done anything wrong. Perhaps they felt that because the shuttle service was a free bonus, which indeed it was, it didn't matter if they offered it to some guests and not others. But it's not a good way to make the excluded guests feel valued, and as we will be returning every year it's not a good way to get repeat business.

There was no acknowledgement of my request, at the time of booking, for a late check-out. By the time we got to the last day I didn't really want any further interaction with them and had made other arrangements for the afternoon, but we were running late and did need an extra half hour. A quick call to the front desk resulted in a kind and positive response, but because I was anticipating the same old "you didn't book directly with us" response it took the pleasure out of it.

We didn't try the restaurant. It looked fine, and we'd intended to eat dinner there after the F1 activity had died down (the restaurant and bar areas were very loud and busy over the weekend), but by this time I didn't want to spend time where I wasn't valued so we went elsewhere.

This feeling of being unwelcome is a new experience for me, after many years of staying in a wide variety of hotels for both short and long stays. I don't like feeling that I need to raise a complaint with a hotel, and I really don't like feeling afterwards that I've been unreasonable in doing so. It wasn't that the staff were rude, it's just that I felt they really didn't care what I thought of them or the hotel. And that's a shame, because that's not how they market themselves, and not what I expected when I booked with them. I've given them 4 stars because the basic service offered was good. But based on my gut feeling, and my past experience of other hotels in Montreal, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next visit to Montreal.

Just as I was about to post this review, I took a look at their website and found this:
"We at Loews Hotels & Resorts believe that luxury is not limited to thread counts or tiny chocolates on a perfectly fluffed pillow. For us, real luxury is about feeling welcome every time—and any time—you walk through our doors. It’s about having the freedom to do exactly as you please, when it pleases you. Or maybe the extravagance of doing nothing at all?"

They don't live up to their promise. And .... where were my tiny chocolates???!!! :)

3  Thank tripbiscuit

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Loews Hotel Vogue. Every day we strive to deliver better service to our guests and it is feedback like yours that allows us to improve. We are known for providing personal care and attention to every guest and your stay did not seem to fit our standard. I am sincerely sorry that we didn’t meet your expectation.

Please accept my apology and do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This downtown hotel is well situated near the Musée des Beaux Arts and across from Ogilvie department store (a storied Montreal institution), very close to the restaurant and night life on Crescent and just off of Ste-Catherine so you have access to the bustle of downtown shopping. The metro is two blocks away in either direction.

The hotel doesn't look like much from the outside, and it next to a vacant lot on a small side street.

Inside, the lobby is comfortable and self-serve coffee, tea and hot chocolate are always available (great when coming in from a cold or wet walk). The service was friendly and efficient.

The rooms were modern, functional, quiet and comfortable. The bed was great: lovely sheets, good pillows, lots of plug-ins. A small couch was a nice touch. The decor is fashion related, hence the name of the hotel. The piece de resistance is the bathroom: all marble, tub and separate shower with rain head. Very large. Without question it is the best hotel bathroom I have ever encountered.

My suggestion would be to add a reading lamp to each side of the bed. The bedside lamps are a primary light source for the room and too bright when you are winding down for sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank knitravel

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Loews Hotel Vogue. Your review of our hotel is greatly appreciated and I was very delighted to read your comments. I will without a doubt share your observations with the rest of our team as it is always a great source of motivation. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you on your next visit to Montreal.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2014

To reiterate several other views, this is a luxurious hotel with a warm, welcoming, and accommodating staff. Just a few minor changes would propel it into the outstanding category. Though I found the rooms mostly well appointed and modern, it seems like a few fixtures were neglected in recent renovations: the bathroom faucets, toilet, and wallpaper were all notably 90s. The temperature control also seemed antiquated, and to be honest I found the room difficult to keep cool at night, compromising sleep quality somewhat. I was very impressed by how quickly and effectively the maintenance department fixed a faulty shower head, though even after this improvement water continued to escape from the shower to the rest of the bathroom. Despite these minor qualms, a top choice in Montreal going forward.

1  Thank multipurposeone1
Mathieu L, General Manager at Loews Hotel Vogue, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience to our hotel. Every day we strive to deliver better service and it is your feedback that allows us to improve. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience you encountered. Please let me know when you plan to visit us again, it will be my pleasure to meet you!

Warms Regards,