“Great say, affortable opition in good location”
Review of Le Saint Malo

Le Saint Malo
Ranked #151 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Boulder
“Great say, affortable opition in good location”
Reviewed October 11, 2006

It's strange reading reviews so different from your own experiences. I do agree with the recent post though--clean room, good service (great cleaning in fact), great bathroom, and an affordable/clean option near the Metro in a great city! I had to leave for the airport at 3:30 am, and the staff called me a cab the afternoon before and provided directions for where to leave my room key, since there would be no one at the front desk. I had a quick breakfast each monring and found the service very friendly, even though I don't speak French at all. It's situated in more of an English-speaking neighborhood, so I think they're quite used to English-speaking guests.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed August 18, 2006

This was one of the cheapest places I could find in Montreal, so I didn't have very high expectations - but was pleasantly surprised by the clean, comfortable & quiet room (with large & sparkling bathroom). It's nothing special, but I would recommend it as a good basic choice in a very convenient location. Check out Le Petit Moisson Boulangerie a few blocks away for outstanding pastries.

BTW - parking was an extra $15/night in a locked garage -- tho you can find cheaper in nearby open-air parking lots.

New York, NY
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed at Le Saint Malo for four days and had a very disappointing experience. I'm a budget traveler, so I knew what to expect, but Le Saint Malo does not even provide budget basics. The staff was extremely rude, the hotel was quite noisy, and there was an non-secure/broken door in the hallway on my floor leading from the hotel to the building next door, which made me feel extremely unsafe (and it was left broken for the last two nights of my stay). I complained to the staff about the broken hallway door and was told "never mind, go back to your room." The building next door (which I had access to through the broken doors on my floor) had beer bottles on its stairwell and was in generally poor condition.
In addition to this lack of concern for guest safety, the staff also refused to provide basic services. I asked the staff to call the airport shuttle for me to make my return reservation and they refused. The staff member handed me the phone number and said I needed to make the call myself.
Also, some people have speculated that the poor service is due to the fact that the staff speaks French, but I speak enough French to get by and this did not improve the service. I highly recommend that travelers stay away from this hotel. Some friends of mine had much better luck (and better prices) at some of the local B&B’s.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The broken door that led to another building that the staff refused to fix.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go here!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank BudgetTravelerSarah

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

UK
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Stayed here with my girlfriend in Sept. 2005. Found rooms to be clean and nicely decorated (bright/trendy as opposed to some of the drab budget rooms you can get).

Found the hotel staff very friendly and free breakfast was available of coffee and donuts. Walls in the rooms are thin but we only had a problem on our last night (stayed 5 nights) with a loud couple in room above chatting all night! We did have a few problems...

On arrival we we given the basement room. Aircon was broke and as it was directly under the reception, the noise was terrible with people trodding about above you sounding like elephants.
Next day we asked to move and were given a new room on the second floor. Much nicer and air con was working and this one had a private bath as well.

Sadly on the following day the bath wouldn't drain and some gunk came up form the pipes. Nasty smell to say the least. Hotel staff were informed and a plumber was called and all was sorted that day.

Aside from these issues we still had a great time, for £40 ($80 CAD) a night it was really good. Felt safe and it was in such a great location. Few minutes walk from Guy Concordia subway station and just off Rue St Catherine.

Would definately stay here again!

• Liked — Location, cheerily decorated rooms and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The basement room is very noisy.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't settle for that basement room!
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alastair79
Niagara Falls
Reviewed March 27, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Saint Malo for the weekend (3 nights)and would definitely stay again.

Make sure that you book your parking space in advance (4 spaces for 13 rooms)as we were left the first night without hotel parking...we did park in a garage down the street, but did not have enter & exit privileges.

We paid $262 CDN for three nights (tax included) plus $15 per night for parking, local calls were $0.59 each.

The hotel itself is three stories with 3-4 rooms per floor and 1 or 2 in the basement. I would not want to stay on the main floor, as it opens directly into the lobby (when I was in the lobby for ice, I could hear a woman giggling from her room). We stayed in #304 (3rd floor)and found it to be in excellent condition. New furniture,tv, carpet, bedding, tub, shower, etc. We had an iron and board in our room, ice box, hair dryer, and clock radio. When I walked by other rooms the maid was cleaning, they all appeared to be the same. The windows were old, but could be opened to let in fresh air. We had a thermostat in our room but always found it to be a little warm, so we left the window open at night (the blinds kept out the light). One night we had a trumpet player on the corner playing everything from Hockey Night in Canada to Oh When The Saints Come Marching In.... Continental breakfast was provided in the morning. The only negative I could find with this hotel was the size of the room. It was small...about 10X10, but what do you really need the space for?

St. Catharine Street is about 30 paces from the front door and you could walk down to Crescent Street in about 15-20 minutes. We took a cab that cost $8 with the tip. There is a taxi stand on the corner of Rue de Fort and St. Catharine, so you never have to wait for a cab. Around the corner to the left is the Italian Rotisserie, a diner type restaurant with AMAZING Italian food (our bill was under $20). To the right is a 24 hour diner that fit the bill for after the bar food!! Service was slow, but the place was packed and there was only one waitress...food was good.

If you eat meat, you cannot go to Montreal and not go to Schwartz's Deli (St. Laurent Blvd. - not walking distance). "The best place in the Milky Way to sample smoked meat sandwiches!" - Time Magazine
There was a 15 minute wait on the street to get in, but it was WELL worth it. Again, our bill was under $20!

Back to the Saint Malo, we had a great stay, it was definitely worth our money and we will go back.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank SJG2006
Fort Mitchell
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Amont the "cheapies" in Montreal, it's ok. The rooms are small, my bed was great, the bathroom small but the shower was great. If you just need a room its hard to beat. Well located. Doesn't have internet, but there is a great internet place 200m south of it. No elevator. Parking is underground at the apt building next door; its secure versus many of the outdoor lots of similar class hotels. I've done the St.Andre and the Berri and would take this any day over them.

Stayed January 2006
4 Thank Stephen G
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Our room was in the basement. When I say the room was small, it's a huge understatement. There was two of us in the room and deffinetly felt like needed more space. Pretty plain room with a bed, small TV with lots of channels, table, chair, closet and dresser. There was no bathtub, only a shower, and it was tiny. The bathroom was very small. We had a big fan in the room for air conditioning. The room was clean. There was no soundproofing as we could hear people talking and entering and exiting their rooms. There were some donuts and muffins at the front desk for breakfast which was a nice touch. Staff was friendly and helped us in booking a tour to Quebec City(which I highly recommend) Montreal has a lot to see and do. We were only in the room at night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a clean room to sleep in overnight. Do not expect too much and you will not be disapointed. Deffinetly not a luxury hotel. There is a 3 star rating outside the hotel. In my oppinion that's somewhat high, I would say more like 2 stars.

• Stayed July 2005