“Great budget hotel”
Review of Le Saint Malo

Le Saint Malo
Ranked #153 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Stayed here with my girlfriend in Sept. 2005. Found rooms to be clean and nicely decorated (bright/trendy as opposed to some of the drab budget rooms you can get).

Found the hotel staff very friendly and free breakfast was available of coffee and donuts. Walls in the rooms are thin but we only had a problem on our last night (stayed 5 nights) with a loud couple in room above chatting all night! We did have a few problems...

On arrival we we given the basement room. Aircon was broke and as it was directly under the reception, the noise was terrible with people trodding about above you sounding like elephants.
Next day we asked to move and were given a new room on the second floor. Much nicer and air con was working and this one had a private bath as well.

Sadly on the following day the bath wouldn't drain and some gunk came up form the pipes. Nasty smell to say the least. Hotel staff were informed and a plumber was called and all was sorted that day.

Aside from these issues we still had a great time, for £40 ($80 CAD) a night it was really good. Felt safe and it was in such a great location. Few minutes walk from Guy Concordia subway station and just off Rue St Catherine.

Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank alastair79

Reviewed March 27, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Saint Malo for the weekend (3 nights)and would definitely stay again.

Make sure that you book your parking space in advance (4 spaces for 13 rooms)as we were left the first night without hotel parking...we did park in a garage down the street, but did not have enter & exit privileges.

We paid $262 CDN for three nights (tax included) plus $15 per night for parking, local calls were $0.59 each.

The hotel itself is three stories with 3-4 rooms per floor and 1 or 2 in the basement. I would not want to stay on the main floor, as it opens directly into the lobby (when I was in the lobby for ice, I could hear a woman giggling from her room). We stayed in #304 (3rd floor)and found it to be in excellent condition. New furniture,tv, carpet, bedding, tub, shower, etc. We had an iron and board in our room, ice box, hair dryer, and clock radio. When I walked by other rooms the maid was cleaning, they all appeared to be the same. The windows were old, but could be opened to let in fresh air. We had a thermostat in our room but always found it to be a little warm, so we left the window open at night (the blinds kept out the light). One night we had a trumpet player on the corner playing everything from Hockey Night in Canada to Oh When The Saints Come Marching In.... Continental breakfast was provided in the morning. The only negative I could find with this hotel was the size of the room. It was small...about 10X10, but what do you really need the space for?

St. Catharine Street is about 30 paces from the front door and you could walk down to Crescent Street in about 15-20 minutes. We took a cab that cost $8 with the tip. There is a taxi stand on the corner of Rue de Fort and St. Catharine, so you never have to wait for a cab. Around the corner to the left is the Italian Rotisserie, a diner type restaurant with AMAZING Italian food (our bill was under $20). To the right is a 24 hour diner that fit the bill for after the bar food!! Service was slow, but the place was packed and there was only one waitress...food was good.

If you eat meat, you cannot go to Montreal and not go to Schwartz's Deli (St. Laurent Blvd. - not walking distance). "The best place in the Milky Way to sample smoked meat sandwiches!" - Time Magazine
There was a 15 minute wait on the street to get in, but it was WELL worth it. Again, our bill was under $20!

Back to the Saint Malo, we had a great stay, it was definitely worth our money and we will go back.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank SJG2006
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Amont the "cheapies" in Montreal, it's ok. The rooms are small, my bed was great, the bathroom small but the shower was great. If you just need a room its hard to beat. Well located. Doesn't have internet, but there is a great internet place 200m south of it. No elevator. Parking is underground at the apt building next door; its secure versus many of the outdoor lots of similar class hotels. I've done the St.Andre and the Berri and would take this any day over them.

Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Our room was in the basement. When I say the room was small, it's a huge understatement. There was two of us in the room and deffinetly felt like needed more space. Pretty plain room with a bed, small TV with lots of channels, table, chair, closet and dresser. There was no bathtub, only a shower, and it was tiny. The bathroom was very small. We had a big fan in the room for air conditioning. The room was clean. There was no soundproofing as we could hear people talking and entering and exiting their rooms. There were some donuts and muffins at the front desk for breakfast which was a nice touch. Staff was friendly and helped us in booking a tour to Quebec City(which I highly recommend) Montreal has a lot to see and do. We were only in the room at night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a clean room to sleep in overnight. Do not expect too much and you will not be disapointed. Deffinetly not a luxury hotel. There is a 3 star rating outside the hotel. In my oppinion that's somewhat high, I would say more like 2 stars.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank gsugrad
A TripAdvisor Member
Alhaurin el Grande, Spain
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Unknown to me, my visit to Montreal partially overlapped with Grand Prix. It was next to impossible to find an affordable room in town, so I was stuck with what I got. Firstly, my room was in a basement, and there were no bars on the windows. This put me off, as a woman travelling alone, but also there was no possiblity of a breath of fresh air. There is no dedicated safety deposit for valuables, and no extra ID was taken when the front desk took them from me, of gave them back to me. However, in the basement, I felt this was somewhat safer than leaving my passport in the room.The vacuuming was truly limited to the center of the room ( a button on the baseboards next to the bed was there for the whole visit of 3 nights) and my hair was never picked up off the bathroom floor. Although the toilet had been changed, the old grouting had been left on the tiles, and was brown and grubby where the new fixture was smaller than the old. However, the bed linens appeared to be very clean, and the sink and shower were also attended to. For this I had the privilege of paying $400 on the Friday, as it was Grand Prix. Still love Montreal, but I would not stay here again if there was another choice.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We stayed at the St. Malo from June 1-5, 2005. The best part about the hotel, its location. A couple of blocks from the Guy-Concordia Metro Station and right off Rue St. Catherine. Very safe area, supemarkets and pharmacies nearby, also pretty decent Vietnamese food at the Restaurant Bamboo down the street. The downside to the hotel is that it is really, really small - like 13 rooms small, and no elevator, and paper thin walls. The desk staff was pretty friendly though and again, for the price and location, you can't beat it. I would stay again if I was going back to Montreal with friends again, not a romantic location though.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank Solochicky
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed March 5, 2005

Really great experience, great staff, friendly and very helpful. They go out of their way to help you. Great location, in the middle of downtown close to all major attraction and the metro. Rooms are clean and recently renovated.
Would definitely use it again next time I'm in Montreal.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business