“Complete Dump In Trashy Part Of Town”
Review of Le Saint Malo

Le Saint Malo
Ranked #153 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Complete Dump In Trashy Part Of Town”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This place is a complete Dump. It tells you it has onsight parking but that is a lie, you have to park down the street in a very unsecure and very unsafe looking car park. It only got worse as me and my boyfriend went in the room. It was tiny, and looked nothing like the photograohs online. The bed was all crooked and tiny, you cannot call it a double. Never stay here. We checked in then an hour later we checked out and went to the novotel where we had a brilliant sat for only $20 extra a night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TorontoKjones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This should not be a "Hotel" its more like a Rooming House or Hostel.
The room was disgusting dirty especially the shower extreme mold, bed comforter was
soiled from previous guest. Paid for 2 nights but we left after 1 night.
My youngest daughter called this place the "HOLE"

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TorontoMykey

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I was greeted to the smell of marijuana upon my arrival. I would be greeted to this scent for the remainder of my stay.

The service was good and the staff was bilingual. This was the only good thing about the stay.

The room was hilarious. The room was the size of a postage stamp. The lamp was missing its lampshade. The bathroom light fixture was to have three light bulbs but only one light bulb was present.

There were dust bunnies all over the floor and it appeared the room hadn't been vacuumed in some time. I don't think a vacuum could fit in that room.

I noticed a dead spider in my tub. I left it there to see how thorough their cleaning was. It was still there upon my return in the evening.

The mirror on the closet was broken and was comically taped into place with packing tape.

What was not so comical was the thickness of the walls. I could clearly hear the activities of the people two rooms down - you cannot imagine how clear the sounds of the activities occuring in the next room were.

I have stayed in hostels and hotels all over the world and never have encountered something like this - especially in my own country. I was shocked. I am not one to complain and I have never written a review for a hotel ever before but after that stay I felt compelled.

The location was the only good thing. I guess you get what you pay for. Even so, the price was still very high considering what you get.

By the way - I couldn't find any bed bugs - I checked.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank CG01
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We booked this hotel using credit card points, but I had seen that it is an inexpensive hotel. For the price, it was great! Great location right off St. Catherine, near lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants. The room was small, but clean. The bathroom was very clean as well. Definitely no bed bugs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — $15/night parking
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, QC
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Stayed here in June 2008 for the convenient location and price. We booked the double deluxe room and it looked exactly like the pictures on the website...although the bathroom was initially smaller than expected. Of course I wasn't expecting anything luxurious but my bathroom only had the tiniest corner shower that I've ever seen (no tub), at lease there was a window to help me feel less trapped. The room was cozy and the beds were comfortable (although mine was somewhat slanted). I personally didn't experience the bedbug thing that the other reviews talked about. Our view consisted of nothing special --- We were beside an apartment building and we could see their balconies...so we kept our curtains closed. There was air conditioning included in our room which was a lifesaver because of the heat and a continental breakfast : Orange juice, apple juice, coffee, croissants, chocolate croissants, muffins and yogurt. They gave you a tray and you had to take it to your room to eat...which may bother some people. The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that I didn't like the paper thin walls and all the stairs I had to go up with my huge suitcase (although the man at the desk was kind enough to offer his help).

The verdict?

The people at the front desk were friendly and accommodating, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the location was perfect for me (Near Dawson College and Place Alexis Nihon) and I only had to pay 80$.

This hotel is perfect for very short stays when traveling alone or with friends.

• Liked — The Location and price
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls and lack of elevator for people with a lot of luggage
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelGurl86
IAHMike
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I chose this hotel because of the value and the location. I was surprised to find it was better than I expected after having read the reviews here. The report of bedbugs was concerning but I didn't read that review until after I booked and prepaid for the hotel. I checked the beds as soon as I entered the room and was relieved not to have any. In fact, what I found was a very clean room and new sheets and pillows on both beds. The hotel staff was very accommodating. They even called a cab for me as I was leaving the hotel at 4AM. The free wi-fi in my room worked very well. I was in room 202, a deluxe double room which had ample space and a very clean bathroom. The only complaint I can think of is the walls are a bit thin, but not so much that I was awakened. I was more concerned the creaky floor would wake other guests when I woke up at 3AM for my trip to the airport.

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Walls are a bit thin. Newer towels in the bathroom would be nice.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IAHMike
Caribbean
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Although the location is good, we were not very impressed with the rooms.
The lack of closet space, and the fact that the meagre breakfast needs to be taken up into the rooms, is quite clumsy.

If you do not hang up the sign "please make up room" the room remains unkept.

Due to airline problems, we were delayed and called, but were still charged for the rooms, although we strongly believe that the rooms were rented out for the night.

Staff is not familiar with the tourist attractions in the area.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — unbusinesslike attitude
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family