“Great Location”
Review of Le Nouvel Hotel

Le Nouvel Hotel
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Myself and a friend were here for a girl's trip and found the hotel to be okay. The location was definatley the biggest pro in the bunch. Here is a list of my pros/cons

Pros
-Location. So close to St. Catherine and Subway.
-Quiet (Never heard a peep)
-Free Internet
-Clean
-Staff (Very friendly and helpful)

Cons
-Def not a 3.5 star as rated on Hotwire
-Pool (Very Small)
-Jacquzzi (Had to pay $20 per use - Should be free!)
-Outdated Style in Rooms (Lobby is great though)
-Bathroom needs work (Drain was extremely slow and the air exchange barely worked)

Overall, it was a perfect location and a great price through Hotwire. Would recommend it to others if they were looking for a good budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 27, 2009

I can't believe I stayed at the same hotel according to some of the previous reviews. We stayed in a condo suite for four nights and were very satisfied. The room was huge, nicely decorated, immaculately clean and very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were in perfect condition. The kitchenette was very convenient and nicely appointed. We parked on the street for free and because we were so close to the subway, rarely used the car. The neighbourhood is safe and quiet. The staff are very helpful and accommodating. We had a great rate for Montreal and will definitely return.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

At first the hotel seemed nice and clean. Basic beds with a basic bathroom with even Neutrogena stuff in there. TV's remote control didn't work. Location was okey especially if you're keen on shopping.

My friend bought a new dress and when she got her first bites we figured it most have come from the dress. It appeared to us just a couple of days later that there were actually bed bugs. My friend looks horrible not to mention all the laudring we've been doing. Moreover, we might have brought bed bugs to my friend's sister's place. We just found one from their futon and they spread fast!!!

I suggest you check out your beds really carefully and don't leave any of yor stuff on the floor. If possible, don't go.

I'll never go there again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank JaaMa
salcica, Director of Sales & Marketing at Le Nouvel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2009

Dear Customer,

I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had at our property. I am sorry that the incident was not reported to us while you were in house. We certainly would have taken care of you and changed your accommodations immediately. We have not had any reports to that effect since either, not that it cannot happen in the best of 5 star hotels. Please let us make it up to you next time you visit Montréal. Contact me personally to arrange for your future arrangements. Thank you very much. melfassy@lenouvelhotel.com

Reviewed July 23, 2009

We booked through Hotwire expecting a 3.5* hotel.

Once we found out we were staying at Le Nouvel Hotel, I called the hotel directly and I requested a no smoking room. The receptionist said that wasn't a problem and said it was entered in our reservation.

When we arrived at the hotel in the evening, we were told that there was only a smoking room available. I explained that I called the hotel directly but was told nothing was on file and "you did book with Hotwire." The front staff told me they had overbooked so there was nothing available. Finally after asking again if they could find me a no smoking room, they gave us a non-smoking room on the condo side.

When we opened the door, the room had a very strong odour similar to moth balls, very nauseating. I immediately called the front desk and informed them. They told me that there was nothing they could do because they were overbooked. All they could do was send a service man up to see if he could do anything. The service person came (this is at around 11pm) and said it wasn't right the room smelled this bad. He was very helpful (wasn't able to resolve the problem though) and offered to open up one of the windows. This involved many trips. Finally, about 1/2 hr later he managed to do so, but with difficulty. He told us to call the front desk in the morning to get a new room. Since we backed onto a busy street, it was pretty loud sleeping that night. The odour was still strong with the windows open. Needless to say we never did get a new room....

When we checked out I explained to the front desk that I was disappointed that they couldn't find me a different room despite my phone calls. The front desk was polite but only responded "I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. I can have the manager call you." There was no offer to credit us, I was expected to pay the full amount to stay in a horrible room. Needless to say, no one has called me back.

I can accept the room is dated, but all I wanted was a non-smoking room that had no strong odours.

Other things...
The lobby looks nice and after that the hotel is very dated.

The gym is nothing to be excited about. It is in a small basement room.

2  Thank PrairieCook
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Hello! We had a great time here. The front desk was wonderful and helpful. The room was a little bit old fashioned and not very luxurious as it seems in photos online. The elevator is slow, maids a little grouchy, business center (2 computers by the lobby) were dying turtle slow, and water pressure in the shower was slight. Swimming pool was a good little walk through many halls, and it was tiny. Swimming laps was silly. The gym left a lot to be desired and there were better locations. However, we still had fun and no big problems. The breakfast which was included in our AAA rate was wonderful! THey also had a lovely courtyard. WE just had come from a much more contemporary and comfortable hotel in Toronto and paid less.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

Close to the Bell center, underground (pay )parking. Parking was about 15.00/day everywhere in Quebec. We liked the large rooms . NO POOL was a suprise.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Bonjour,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make your comments which I found very constructive. Allow me to touch on the jaccuzzi issue. Please note that the jaccuzzi is part of the Spa services offered on the premises by a private owner, which explains the fees applied to the services. I am glad to see that you will be visiting us again and that you would recommend our hotel to your friends and we thank you for that. We wish you a great summer.
melfassy@lenouvelhotel.com

Reviewed July 6, 2009

Very disappointed in this hotel. Looked much better on line than in real life. Was supposed to stay 3 nights but left after one. Granted it is not the absolute worst place, but if you are the type of person who likes a clean, comfortable room with fresh sheets and towels, this hotel will disappoint you too. Bed was terribly uncomfortable, but even worse the sheets were so worn and old that they didn't even look clean or washed. Same with the towels. Everything about the room felt old and dingy and borderline unclean. For me that's not a comfortable way to spend any amount of time. We checked out so that we could enjoy the rest of our stay in Montreal and not have to dread coming back to the room after a long day enjoying the city.

1  Thank NativeNYer019