“Good hotel but it's the little things”

Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel
Ranked #47 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Good hotel but it's the little things”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I just stayed for one night. Check-in was simple and pleasant. I had some time to kill so I asked the concierge for tips on where to grab a salad, get my nails and hair done, etc. she was very helpful and almost spot-on. The room was nice, clean, fresh white linens and comfy bed and pillows.
The bathroom lighting though was terrible. Way too dim for a fifty something women to put on make-up even with the help of a magnifying mirror. No little amenities either, like shower cap, q-tips.
I had my hair washed and dried at the salon downstairs per the concierge recommendation. The owner who did my hair was a little creepy. No need to touch my back, shoulders and face. Yuck! Hair was just okay.
Other than that, location was great and room and service were good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Its always nice to know that our guests enjoyed their overall stay with us and for future reference, please don't hesitate to let us know should you be missing any items in your guestroom as it will be our pleasure to do our utmost to accommodate you.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I stayed here 8/22-8/25/14 and it was a great experience. We walked to everything. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The people at the front desk and the concierge could not have been nicer or more helpful. I would stay here again without question. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
It was so nice to read your review! Its comments such as this that make us proud of what we strive to accomplish on a daily basis; a memorable Sheraton Experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back!
Fredonia, Kentucky
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I came in for a couple nights with 7 friends. We got a suite and a standard room with 2 double beds. Both rooms had a pretty decent view of the downtown. I'm having a very hard time comprehending the negative reviews for this hotel, particularly the ones that talk about "gouging." How classless can somebody be to expect services without paying for them? The nightly rate was by far the cheapest I've ever seen for these types of accommodations in a major city. If anything, I felt as if I didn't pay enough considering the amenities. The pool was nice, nice gym, hot tub, great patio deck with comfortable chairs, great layout of the suite. My only encounters with service were at the front desk and the pool and the employees i met in these departments were professional enough to work at any establishment in the world.
All in all, it was a great trip, great location. If I return to Montreal, the only reason I would stay elsewhere is to be in a different part of the town.

Room Tip: I suppose asking for a high floor would provide a better view, but the rooms as far as I'm conce...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! We were so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities!

We truly appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed here with my kids for one night in the middle of August this year.
-Location: Good
-Amenities: Good
-Sleep quality: Good

-Service: Poor

I was waiting for my turn in front of the front desk when I arrive at the hotel. One receptionist was responding to a phone call and two receptionist were chatting with each other.

Although I expected them to call me to check in, they ignored me and continued to chat with each other. Several minutes later, a guy who looked like their supervisor came out from inside and gave some documents to them. He looked at me shortly but nothing happened.

Then a lady cut in line, speaking French and stood in front of the two receptionist while I was still waiting for my turn.

I couldn't believe what I experienced at Sheraton Montreal because "is it really what Sheraton treats its customers?" Sheraton should have done better than this.

The service didn't meet their reputation at all.

Room Tip: My kids suddenly woke up when they went to bed because of the noise from the train at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
We were very happy to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Regarding the lack of service you received at check-in, we certainly appreciate how upsetting this was and there is no reasonable explanation we can offer as to why we failed to live up to our own high standards. We sincerely regret that we failed you in this instance.

Your comments clearly indicate that we must further the education of certain associates as it relates to attention to detail and the practice of true customer service. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with the Manager in question for prompt corrective measures.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The hotel itself is in a great location and amenities in the room typical that of a 5 star. However, they seem to have lost complete focus on customer satisfaction and service and everything is about "earning a quick buck".

Here are the reasons for my above review for our 2 nights stay :

1) My cousin (in second room) asked to warm milk for their baby and the hotel wanted to charge $25 for this "service".

2) our bath tub wasn't draining properly on the first day and after I complained about it the second day, they did send their technician to fix the problem but hotel staff further stated that this would have been caused by the ladies in the room with their long hair, as if to say its "our fault ". 3) there was no breakfast included in such a hefty price and wifi is also chargeable, at a time when most hotels provide this service complementary .

4) on checkout, I asked for my bill statement and the staff member there kept insisting that my bill was zero. Only on insisting I wanted a printout for my records, did he grudgingly do me a printout. I later realised that printing would cost them money and hence trying to save every cent seems to be their objective. Receiving a printout is standard at any other hotel.

5) finally to add salt to the wound, I asked their porter if I could keep my bag there for 2 hours at most after check out and guess what, they charged me $3 per piece of baggage. Now it's not so much the amount charged, but the principal of charging for a service which again is complementary at most hotels in most parts of the world . Needless to say I am never staying at this hotel again and it's a real shame that "Sheraton" , a name once renowned has stooped so low to try and earn and squeeze every little penny off their customers.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 24Ash
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback as it is of great value to us. We were sorry to read that your stay was less than satisfactory and we most certainly appreciate how upsetting these occurrences were to you.

There is no reasonable explanation we can offer as to why we failed to live up to our own high standards and your comments clearly indicate that we must further the education of certain associates as it relates to attention to detail and the practice of true customer service.

With regards to the charges for luggage storage, as an explanation and not an excuse, several departments have unionized associates and this point in particular is in the collective bargaining agreement; we therefore have no alternative but to abide by it.

We regret that these incidents marred what would have otherwise been a pleasant stay and we do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to have a memorable experience in the future.
canada
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I stayed here recently.

• Excellent Platinum recognition with upgrade to a suite even though hotel was full
• Beautiful view from the club lounge
• Nice hot tub
• Great location;can walk everywhere
• Rip off policy of charging $3/bag to keep baggage at the concierge. Each shopping bag counted separately.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. your feedback is of great value to us and its always so nice to know that our guests enjoyed their stay and had a memorable Sheraton Experience!

We certainly appreciate your sentiments with regards to charges for luggage storage however, as an explanation and not an excuse, several departments have unionized associates and this point in particular is in the collective bargaining agreement; we therefore have no alternative but to abide by it.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Spent 3 nights here with a group of friends for pride weekend. Check-in was quick and efficient, elevators were fast. The pool area was really nice and they even had an outdoor lounge area for guest. The hotel itself was very nice, although the building was probably older everything was kept up to date. My only complaint was the iron in the room wasn't working but within 5 minutes a new one was delivered to the room.

I wanna give a shout out to the concierge, on our last night we were looking for a good place to go for karaoke. She spent a good 5 minutes with us looking up places and even making a calling them to make sure they were open. Koodos to her.

I would definitely stay here again, clean hotel and definitely less expensive then the other Starwood properties downtown!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Its so nice to read your review, thank you very much for taking the to post it! We took good note of the assistance you received from our Concierge and we're happy to know that you enjoyed our pool and outdoor terrace!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!