“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #49 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Moncton, Canada
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I am writing a general review on Le Centre Sheraton Montreal as I have stayed there many times before. I usually head to Montreal 2-3 times per year to catch a hockey game and I must say this hotel is excellent. The location is in the heart of the city and the hotel staff are more than accommodating. Also, the rooms are very clean and the hotel is well maintained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for either business or leisure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We got a deal on this hotel through Expedia secret hotels ($125 a night), and that was a great deal for this hotel. It was clean, modern, and was close to shopping on St Catherine's. The decor was nice and the staff was warm and helpful.
My only "complaints" are the parking fee $24 a day and that it is a bit of a walk from Old Montreal, but not super far. Saying that, I would def stay here again, especially at that price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Truro, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed in my share of hotels and this is honestly the first bad review I've felt the need to write. My husband & I recently stayed here for 3-nights. We arrived an hour prior to the 3pm check-in time and the kind lady assisting us allowed an early check-in, even upgrading us from 2-dbls (only thing available when I initially booked) to one king. Off to a great start! Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. Upon entering our room (which was NOT recently renovated), it was clear that not much effort had gone into cleaning it. There was dirt on the carpet; white stains on the upholstered chair (gross!); drippings of some sort down the front of the dresser and closet doors; interior of closet was dirty; dusty & grimy bedside tables; and a filthy air conditioning unit which blew dust around every time it turned on. My husband went down to the front desk to let them know (nicely) that we weren't satisfied with the cleanliness of our room (another first for us). The 'gentleman' working the desk was ignorant, but finally agreed to have someone from housekeeping sent to inspect. A short time later the housekeeping manager arrived and we pointed out our concerns. I mean, if you can blatantly see an obvious lack of housekeeping standards, imagine what we weren't seeing. Her response was, "it's a good thing you don't have a black light" !? She did send someone to vacuum and change the chair, but the rest of the room stayed grimy. The next day we spent 8 hours walking around in the heat and were looking forward to getting cleaned up before heading out for the evening. When we got back to our room, it still hadn't been cleaned...at 6pm! We had already used both towels (one of which was stained) so we phoned to ask why no one from housekeeping had been here yet. Apparently, they clean until 8pm...alright, please send a couple of clean towels in the meantime. THREE phone calls later, we got our towels but no one ever did clean the room. The next day, we were absent from the room between 9am & 4pm...room STILL wasn't cleaned when we got back (thankfully we had requested extra towels the day before). Later that evening, when we were out, it was tidied up. However, our bed sheets had not been changed (btw, the pillows have no protective covers & mine was stained and there is no fitted sheet or mattress cover so every time you moved around, the mattress was exposed). I can understand not changing them after the first night, but they should be done on the second. It's not like this is a cheap hotel to stay at! Upon check-out we were not asked how our stay was (probably a good thing!) and as we had a few hours before our flight left, we were charged $3/bag to leave our stuff in a locked room. Really!? There is no free wi-fi (other than in the lobby)...isn't this standard nowadays? The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the excellent location and a friendly concierge...everything else was lacking. I adore Montreal and hope to return again & again...but it will most definitely NOT be to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah P
Toronto
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Excellent downtown hotel. Over the past year I stayed at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Wish I didn't. The rooms at the Sheraton are far better. Typically only use a 1 King type room. I've used the gym facilities here on a recent stay. New equipment for cardio and various weight machines in a a nice room, so decent for a quick workout. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was our first visit to Montreal and so we hadn't realised the implications of the downtown location: for those used to London, imagine being caught right between Oxford Street and Soho.... If we had our time again, we would probably trade up to hotels in the Old Town - more touristy but closer to the excellent museums and family cycles. the Nelligan and St Sulpice both looked good.

As far as the Sheraton was concerned, it was fine, but not the best of their offerings. Good pool and changing rooms. Some staff great, otherwise "jobsworth" to the highest degree - one guy wanted to charge $3 per bag for keeping our bags in store for a few hours between check-out and our late flight home. When we questioned it, his colleague instantly "withdrew the charge".

Rooms were well maintained inside but the 10th floor windows were so dirty you could hardly see out of them. The Club lounge at the top of the hotel had a great view from much cleaner windows but a very wide membership, so breakfast was quite a scrum and the coffee machine wasn't fixed for 2 days. The lounge closed in the early evening, leaving business travellers stuck with inadequate equipment in the lobby "Hub" - eg printer not connected up properly to the only PC then available.

Having said all that, when we covered these points in a post-stay questionnaire, the Sheraton dealt with our concerns very rapidly so full marks to the management team.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SpaStruckSurrey
Vermont
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just returned today from a one night stay at the Sheraton. The hotel is in a great Location--easy walking distance to St. Catherine Street, the Bell Center, the Metro, great small parks/restaurants/shopping nearby. Our room was clean, modern, and had a good view of the city. Check in was quick and easy. My boys loved the pool. The elevators were super fast, and the parking was easy as it is all underground. Our parking was $20.88 for a 24 hour period, though she said we were good to park there until 6pm. We were able to add parking onto our room and just had to give the parking attendant our room number and last name upon exiting the garage. The room had Starbucks coffee to brew, and while it didn't have a fridge, we could have asked for one when making our reservation. No free in-room wifi was really the only bummer. In 2013 you pretty much expect any accommodation of this caliber to have free wifi for guests. (They had an area near the lobby but it was painfully slow on my iPhone so I gave up). The staff was great. I asked about late checkout when we arrived and she told me they were fully booked for the day of our departure but could offer me an hour later. I wasn't sure about our time frame coming back from the Color Run on the Metro so I declined and we checked out of our room by 0745. We made it back to the hotel by noon and a man at the front desk looked up our room just in case it hadn't been cleaned yet. It hadn't but when I asked about a shower near the pool area he told me that I could use it. My boys enjoyed the pool with my husband and I enjoyed getting a nice shower before heading home. They didn't have to give us access as we had checked out already, but it was excellent customer service and much appreciated. I've paid less to stay at other hotels in Montreal, but I would definitely go back to the Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2013

In the heart of Montreal Centre, a great place to stay, work and relax. Check in was quick for me; however, I arrived in mid-afternoon. After quickly receiving my room key and heading to my floor, I found a clean, comfortable room that had a slight cigarette smell to it. After a day or so, it went away, so that's the main reason the rating is not excellent.
The bed is super comfortable and the pillows are soft; exactly as I like. The bathroom was very clean, and had enough soaps, cleaners, towels and other creature comforts to make the stay great. I guess the only other thing that could have been offered is a robe to use while lounging in the room.
The restaurants offered very tasty, albeit a bit expensive fare and i thoroughly enjoyed the cod with rissotto. Also try the smoke salmon club sandwich with caesar salad, it's a delight!
Here for a conference, the rooms are expansive, but a bit on the cool side, especially on the 4th floor. The staff made sure all our needs were met for a successful conference including water, hard candy and a good working sound system.
Whether you're here for business or pleasure, you won't be disappointed by your stay at Le Centre Sheraton in Montreal.

Room Tip: Become a member of Starwood Preferred Guest program.