“Nice downtown Sheraton in Montreal”

Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel
Ranked #48 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
San Francisco, California
“Nice downtown Sheraton in Montreal”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed 2 nights mid-week in August. I'm a SPG Platinum members so was upgraded to a Deluxe room on the 34th floor facing Mont Royal mountain. Room was quiet. Had a nice comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. (I think the hotel was just renovated). Water pressure in bathroom faucet & shower was not great but OK. Good wifi connectivity. Hotel has a huge fitness center open 24 hours. There is also a pool, hot tub, and separate mens and women's sauna adjacent to the hot tub area. There is also a spa offering spa services in the same area. Nice friendly staff for a downtown hotel - speaking fluent French & English. I did not sample the restaurants as I had access to the CLub Lounge which is located on the 37th (top floor) . It takes up the entire floor of the hotel and has magnificent 360 degree views of Montreal and the island. Nice breakfast and evening snacks. Full bar etc.
One negative: The valet parking attendants leave early at night and there is no signage regarding the hours. I waited in my car for 10 minutes. Perhaps they can post an obvious sign with valet hours! Otherwise a good hotel centrally located and I will return.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Check in was not a welcoming experience. Admittedly there was long line up to check in however when it was finally my turn after waiting patiently, the staff member that servd me was quite rude, dismissive and less than helpful. She neglected to tell me about he hotel amenities such as free wi fi in the lounge, what floor the pool was on, or even where the elevators were so I could get to my room. I mentioned her rudeness upon check out and a manager took my complaint seriously and said she would address it with the employee. In all fairness I believed it was an isolated incident as all other staff were very helpful, respectful and Courteous throughout my stay. upon check out they put he parking fee on my visa, and when I was leaving the underground Parking lot an attendant took my access card that I as about to use to swipe my self out of the lot an then he asked if I checked out and asked if I paid my parking bill. I was surprised by the question as I had jut given him my pass which should have indicated hat i paid but respnded that I had paid upon check out. He then requested proof of payment. I found this strange as I was told that an email was sent with the charge. I asked him to call front desk to confirm payment. He did and of course they responded in the affirmative. I am still puzzled by the fact that my pass card was insufficient to leave the premises and that I was never told hat proof of payment was required. I stopped and spoke to a manager on the way out and she seemed puzzled as well.
What should have been smooth sailing was not and what could have been me leaving on a high note turned out to be me leaving with a very bad taste in my mouth.

My arrival and departure experiences were quite unpleasant. I do no believe that all staff were impolite and uncooperative I just got unlucky on he way in and on the way out.

I liked the hotel overall so I may give It another shot but they need to know that consistently good customer service is key to encouraging return customers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We offer our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you encountered with your check in and check out and assure you that is by no means indicative of the service we offer daily to our guests. Further to this, your comments regarding the incident with the parking concession will be addressed to ensure that future guests do not encounter the same inconveniences.

Once again, please accept our apologies for not living up to our usual high levels of service. Your feedback is of great value to us as it allows us to improve the quality of service we offer future guests and it is our sincere hope that you will be among them.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked my reservation directly off the hotel website, specifying that I wanted a Queen bed. When we arrived, they did not have any Queen beds available yet. The customer service rep felt that since we were only staying one night that we would be fine with a Double bed. I reluctantly agreed since I did not want to wait around for an unspecified amount of time.

The room was small. There was a large rip in 1 out of our 2 towels. Bathroom was remodeled in the last 10 years. But obviously very cheaply done. Window air conditioner unit was very loud when in operation.

** The major problem came at night. They gave us a room that had a passage door to the adjoining room. The man in the next room started to vomit and retch from 4 a.m. onwards. The door was so thin and our room so small that we could hear the vomit splashing into the toilet. We could not sleep after this started, because as soon as we started drifting off he would be sick again...and again.

I notified the Front desk early in the morning and asked that they Never place someone in these 2 rooms at the same time. He passed me to his Manager. I repeated the story. The first thing she asked was, "What is retching??". I explained further and then all she could say was "Thank you for letting them know". End of conversation. No acknowledgement that we had to get up at 4 a.m. on our vacation, that we had to listen to horrible sounds, no acknowledgement that hotel staff would check on this man's condition, and no guarantee that it wouldn't happen to the next poor traveler since Montreal is such a party town.

Room Tip: Try the Embassy Suites. We had a great stay there in October 2012. Great value: Very generous buffet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A W
Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were unimpressed. We received a decent rate for the family to enjoy the week in Montreal. The rooms was adequate but had several maintenance issues upon arrival. Items that should simply have been caught through a normal PM program. Also, they claim to have free wireless in the lobby (through the kink) but I tried numerous times to get on each day and it was always the same response "to many people are logged on now". If that happened once, I would say it's unusual but to happen every single evening and each morning (go to the local Starbucks that really does offer it free) it's not a fluke, it's the standard. Fix this or stop pretending like you offer it! So we purchased it in the room the first night. A complete waste of $15+. The internet speed at 8:41PM was 0.019 MPS. That's not even dial up guys! Between the poor internet, the continued maintenance issues in the room and the AC issues, I will not return here again. To many other quality options for the same price range.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank golfingfriends
We sincerely appreciate the fact that you were you were greatly inconvenienced due Internet and maintenance issues. We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is in perfect working order. We are very sorry that we failed you in this instance.

We hope to have an opportunity to be of service to you once again in the future.
Venice, Italy
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I recently spent two days at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal and unfortunately, I cannot give this facility anything more than an "average" review. The shortcomings are mostly with service issues in various areas of the hotel. This is a super-huge Sheraton with many events, groups and visitors, so as a Platinum guest, I felt unimportant to the staff.

I arrived by taxi and found no one to assistance with my luggage. There was a bellman standing there and he said I should get someone else from the bell captains station inside, to help me. Perhaps the gent outside only open doors for arriving and departing guests.

I wheeled my own luggage in and proceeded to the Starwood Platinum desk for check-in. It was 8:45 pm and I was told that my suite was not ready because the previous occupant had a late check-out. I was told I could either wait for the room to be made up or I could take a non-suite, standard room. I had been traveling all day and I didn't need this type of news, especially so late in the evening. I decided to check my luggage with the bell captain and go out for dinner. The receptionist didn't offer to call a bellhop over to take my luggage so I wheeled it over myself.

After dinner, I re-checked in, retrieved my key and gave the receptionist my claim for my luggage to be sent to my room. I was instructed to give the luggage claim directly to the bell captain. I certainly didn't feel like a welcomed Platinum guest.

The room was standard as far as suites go. Spacious two rooms, one with a bed and the other with a sofa. The two bathrooms had minimal amenities (bar soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion.) The towels were large and comfortable. Wi-Fi reception was poor in the room, however, the cable worked well. Roaming Wi-Fi service in other areas of the hotel was poor. The bed and linens were comfortable, though poorly made up. When pulling down the top blanket, both top and bottom sheet came undone. The air conditioner control panel didn't want to accommodate my desired settings and the AC was noisy. There was no mini-bar in the room; though free bottled water and Starbucks coffee was available. I was up on the 28th floor and I could hear emergency vehicle sirens and nearby construction down below.

I visited the Club Room twice for breakfast and once for a cocktail. The staff provided pleasant service, and the bartender made a very good (and expensive) Vodka Martini. Food items were quickly depleted and staff could not keep up replacing empty trays. Breakfast was over promptly at 9:30 am, a little too early by my standards.

There is a great view from this 37th floor Club Room; however, of the six elevators in the lobby, only three go all the way up to the 37th floor. The other three only go to the 36th floor, so you have to exit on 36 and take another elevator one floor up. Odd.

I had an after dinner drink in the hotel's lobby lounge where there is a beautiful, spacious and well stocked bar. I found the service staff to be unprofessional and cocky. They delivered drinks and food by hand, not using a serving tray. They need a little training in standard waiter/waitressing service, especially considering the tips they receive.

Upon returning home, my final folio bill was emailed to me and there was a charge for two nights of parking in the hotel's garage. I didn't have a car. Several attempts to contact the hotel by their provided emails were unsuccessful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Please a accept our sincere apologies for the service issues you encountered during your stay with us. Our team is committed to providing a much better experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointments and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our true level of hospitality.
san antonio, tx
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First, let me give a shout out to Maria and Mark at the concierge desk. No matter how many people are in line, when it is your turn, you don't feel rushed and you leave feeling satisfied with their recommendations and directions. This is a busy location so I hope management will staff 2 people for additional hours. My room was nice and comfortable and clean to my expectations, I am a bit fussy. I also appreciate how quiet housekeeping is in the morning. I have been to hotels where housekeeping was loud and yelled down the hallway to their colleagues early in the morning. There is complimentary wifi on the concierge level and on Level A near the elevator and the gift shop. There are several desktops available and complimentary printing (black & white) Near the far end of the check-in area. There are ample elevators and they are very fast. I found the entire staff to be very customer service oriented. I was there during my birthday and the staff gave me several surprises--I loved the chocolate covered strawberries, Maria & Mark:). This hotel is in a great location. The Bonaventure Metro Station is across the street. It is walking distance to China Town (small, but worth a trip), Old Montreal, and a city block from St. Catherine Street(A shopper's playground). If you are Catholic and want to attend an English mass, St. Patrick is within walking distance (several blocks). There are a couple drugstores, convenient store, and grocery in walking distance. Interested in going to a live music club. Upstairs is about 5 streets away, but go for the music, not the food. The bar area seems to be popular and the bellman are available and alert to people needing help. Although I was caught off guard by a $3.00 charge to hold luggage after checkout. I have never experienced that at any Starwood property.

Transportation tip-- don't rent a car and don't take a taxi from the airport. Buy a 3 day, weekend, or week pass. Take bus #747. The charge is $9.00 for the one-way trip, so put a little extra and get a pass you can use on the bus and metro(subway). The other good thing about #747 is it travel down Rene Levesque, where you can get off on Beaver Run or St Laurent to go to Chinatown or Old Town. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of our hotel. It is people like you that make us proud of what we accomplish and encourage us to do our utmost to create the perfect guest experience for our guests. We truly appreciate your good comments and will be sure to share them with our entire team!

Our Concierges, Mark and Maria are part of our long serving team members here at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal and two of the many stars with us at the Front Desk. Their service and dedication make them true ambassadors for our property and it is with pleasure that we will share your comments with them and the rest of our team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for two nights. The location is great, right downtown and walking distance to shopping and lots of restaurants. Close to St Catherine, Crescent streets. Very close to the Bell Center and going for smoked meat at Reubens. The lobby is great with a bar, restaurant and WIFI area. There is a gym, pool and hot tub. Our room was decent, nice view of Mont Royal, big king size bed and it an updated bathroom. The AC was very noisy though and we had to leave it off, would have complained if we were staying longer. Free bottled water (which is a nice touch) but no free wifi in the room (one of my pet peeves with hotels these days.). Overall it was a comfortable and pleasant stay and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher to floor the better to see the city, was surprised to still hear traffic noise at level 27!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple