“Outdated and dirty. Definitely not deserving of 4 stars”

Hotels Gouverneur Montreal
Ranked #98 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Outdated and dirty. Definitely not deserving of 4 stars”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Public transit tips below.

I stayed at this hotel for a three-day conference in March. I have stayed in quite a few hotels and I must say that this hotel must be the dirtiest I have ever seen. My colleagues and I do not care about luxury or 5-star hotels, but basic cleanliness and service is a priority. For example, the carpet and bed comforter were still dirty from the previous guest. The room was EXTREMELY dusty, the shower was filthy, and its drain was so slow that the bath filled almost half way during my 5-minute shower. I had to sleep on a cot because of the number of people in the room, which I had to fight for because nobody wanted to sleep in the bed. Furthermore, when I went to the bathroom, it looked like there were huge bugs all over the floor. (Don't worry, they weren't bugs after all, but the fact that all of us considered it as a likely possibility is a statement in and of itself). The location is good in terms of public transportation, but it is right in the heart of the Montreal student protest movement. It was suggested to us to stay in the hotel during the day to not get riled up in any trouble.

In brief: very disappointed, especially for over $130 a night for a regular room.

How to get there with public transit:
-Take metro to Berri-UQAM station (this is a connecting station, so you could take the orange line, green line, or yellow line, whichever is closest to you).
-There are many exits, so make sure you take the exit for Sainte-Catherine East.
-Turn LEFT out of the exit. You should be talking east along Sainte-Catherine E.
-The hotel is at the first street light. Big grey high-rise, you can't miss it. Corner St-Hubert and Sainte-Catherine.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank eagermike93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel was central to where we wanted to be. It's beside the Bus station, Metro, St Catherine Street and the Gay Village. The hotel lobby is very out-dated. Its clean, but the couches are warped and sink in. The front desk agent, Dominque was very friendly, and offered us an upgrade off our Priceline rate, as it was a birthday we were celebrating and we booked priceline to save this time around. We had the executive floor. He was also able to help us pick out good restaurants too!! The view was amazing. Definitly best views of the city. The room was clean, decor was good, and bath products were nice.

Decided to stay in Montreal a second day and the same hotel and had agent Sammy check us in later in the evening. He was not as friendly or attentive as our first agent sadly, and when we asked if we could have our same room if available, he told us its available however we should of never had an upgrade in first place, as we are not "regular" guests, we are priceline guests. Needless to say we smiled and checked into our superior room that the manager reassured us was superior. Not much difference. Only that there are NO CURTAINS in the room!! :(

Room Tip: Only stay on Executive Floor, as they have curtains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanJAD
Oulunsalo, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Gouverneur Place Dupuis is well located in the city centre. You can take a bus from the airport for just some dollars and arrive just across a square from the hotel. Building itself is quite outdated from this decade and needs a bit of updating. Rooms are of decent size (regular room) but you might get a nice view over the city if accommodated in upper floors.

The thing that stayed the best in my mind from visiting this hotel was the breakfast service. Personnel insisted your breakfast coupons with an unpleasant tone and unfriendly manner. A colleague of mine did a mistake and had some food from the hot table with a coupon of continental breakfast. A member of the personnel took away her plate to protest the mistake that was in no way informed at the foodcourt.

I think this hotel has potential to offer, after a bit of updating and educating the personnel to be more service minded.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the upper floors (20 and up) to get a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NikoFinland
St.John's ,Newfoundland,Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was very convenient for myself and my wife as we were here in Montreal for a short visit to a Maroon 5 Concert at the local Bell Center.
The hotel is a little older but it was clean,the room as well was clean and nice.
(Now,in my opinion,I think some investment in new mattresses would be in order!
At least in our room,it was pretty worn and not very comfortable,this is a must for a great night's sleep ) Note * we did not complain about this while staying,but it's a very easy fix,and it should be considered in future purchases by management.
We stayed for 2 nights, and overall it was ok.
Both my wife and I have to commend the dining room, breakfast was absolutely fantastic,the food was delicious.
We also had room service the first night we arrived and the service and food just outstanding.
Overall I would not hesitate to return to this well located hotel,our experience was great,just revamp the mattress issues in the room... I can't be any more clearer.
Underground parking was available with a fee,Internet was free.
We will be back,in warmer weather of course,cold in February but a beautiful area. As a location for seeing concerts at the Bell Center is was 10 mins away.
Also go see the many Churches located in Montreal ,"Notre Dame Cathedral" just breathtaking!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nasoni
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went with another couple for the Festival of Lights and wanted to be by the action. Great location for walking to the event. Close to the metro and many, many restaurants. The rooms look like they were remodeled in the '70s, very dated, but cleanish. We did notice some spots in the room that had not been cleaned in a while (vents, sprinkler, bottom of sink). Our room on the 19th floor had a great view of the city and park across the street. Parking is convenient next door for $20/day, but you have to walk through the mall to get back into the hotel (very short walk). Wished the room had a fridge or a safe, but not really needed. From looking at several posts, there is a range of money people have paid to stay here. Maybe some of the floors are more up to date. The breakfast buffet was great and the service was excellent. We would definitely stay here again, since we do not go to Montreal to hang out in the hotel room.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to see the beautiful view of the city at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TfromVT
belsab, Director of Operation at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard your comments and consider them in its just value. It’s thanks to you, that we have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations.
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I wanted to be at the Montreal Festival of lights and be close to Place de Arts.I got a good deal on HotWire, 85 dollars complete,

After reading the wide range of reviews I was pleasantly surprised, though puzzled by the number of stars rated by Hotiwre and the hotel. Perhaps they thought they should have more stars for the ligh festival.

The location was excellent, parking was around 20 dollars, very convenient, tight and low,and security seemed good.

The front desk check in was fast,pleasant and accurate, I got what I had asked for. Check out was swamped the nexy day: but they did add another clerk promptly. As there was only one so check out was not to bad.

Common areas were average, not 3 to 4 star, but clean. The pool area appearded clean and there was a guard/attendant.

My room was good sized, clean and with an awesome view up the main street,Tthe bed was very comfortable, The linens were adequate, not 4 star but OK. There was Krup coffee machine.

As to the stars, they claim 4 stars on there front wall. plastic cups, for the rooms, really? Hotel toiletries a step below a motel 6; 2 star. The room and bathroom were dated, but clean. Clunky furniture and an old tired bathroom.

The Wifi worked great, TV very old and not great, nor was the cable selection teririfc. But I was not there to watch TV.

I had a nice time and got a great rate, I would have not wanted to pay more than 85 dollars total for the night. The other hotels that were listed with Hotwire have a much more accurate rating sytem.

This hotel is more like 2.5 to 3 stars, not the 3.5 to 4 that they have.listed.

There primary strength is location and their staff, every staff peson I met was very helpfull.

PS

The area seems safe, and yes there are street folk, but it is a city and I thought things outside very tame. There were even cleverly dressed young men washing your car windows if you stopped at the intersection.

Room Tip: High up and a view up(west) St Catherine Street is a good way to go. Nice view and a bit less noisy...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been to Montreal several times and had never heard of this place until I scored a deal for $71/night on Hotwire. I was pleasantly surprised. It's attached to a mall with a food court, grocery store and metro station, and is about a 10-minute walk from Place des Arts (festivals and shows) and 20 minutes to the shopping on St. Catherines. I've stayed at several major chains in the area (Marriott, Chelsea, Intercontinental) and while they are definitely chicer/more modern, the Gouverneur was clean, comfortable and pleasant. Room size is comparable to any of the others, customer service was good, the view from my 9th floor room was lovely and while the decor could stand to be updated, my room was perfectly fine. The pool seemed good (several people were using it but I forgot my suit) and my only real disappointment was the gym...only had some cardio equipment, no weights or benches. My standard room lacked frills such as a refrigerator and a newer TV but for a weekend and at that price, they're not missed. Looking at other reviews, I think people need to keep their expectations in check. A hotel downtown in a major city at this price isn't going to be the Ritz. I would stay there again and recommend it to people looking to save a bit of money on accomodations and are only looking to use a hotel for what I did - sleep, shower and use the gym.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jen M
We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard all your comments and consider them in its just value.

For your information, it’s possible to reserve a refrigerator at the time of the reservation at a low cost. Also, we are looking forward to new devices for our Gym such as benches and weights.

Again, It’s thanks to you, that we have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations. We hope to have the chance to welcom you again in a near futur!