“Treated like a criminal at breakfast”

Hotels Gouverneur Montreal
Ranked #102 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Gouverneur Place Dupuis is well located in the city centre. You can take a bus from the airport for just some dollars and arrive just across a square from the hotel. Building itself is quite outdated from this decade and needs a bit of updating. Rooms are of decent size (regular room) but you might get a nice view over the city if accommodated in upper floors.

The thing that stayed the best in my mind from visiting this hotel was the breakfast service. Personnel insisted your breakfast coupons with an unpleasant tone and unfriendly manner. A colleague of mine did a mistake and had some food from the hot table with a coupon of continental breakfast. A member of the personnel took away her plate to protest the mistake that was in no way informed at the foodcourt.

I think this hotel has potential to offer, after a bit of updating and educating the personnel to be more service minded.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the upper floors (20 and up) to get a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NikoFinland

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was very convenient for myself and my wife as we were here in Montreal for a short visit to a Maroon 5 Concert at the local Bell Center.
The hotel is a little older but it was clean,the room as well was clean and nice.
(Now,in my opinion,I think some investment in new mattresses would be in order!
At least in our room,it was pretty worn and not very comfortable,this is a must for a great night's sleep ) Note * we did not complain about this while staying,but it's a very easy fix,and it should be considered in future purchases by management.
We stayed for 2 nights, and overall it was ok.
Both my wife and I have to commend the dining room, breakfast was absolutely fantastic,the food was delicious.
We also had room service the first night we arrived and the service and food just outstanding.
Overall I would not hesitate to return to this well located hotel,our experience was great,just revamp the mattress issues in the room... I can't be any more clearer.
Underground parking was available with a fee,Internet was free.
We will be back,in warmer weather of course,cold in February but a beautiful area. As a location for seeing concerts at the Bell Center is was 10 mins away.
Also go see the many Churches located in Montreal ,"Notre Dame Cathedral" just breathtaking!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nasoni
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went with another couple for the Festival of Lights and wanted to be by the action. Great location for walking to the event. Close to the metro and many, many restaurants. The rooms look like they were remodeled in the '70s, very dated, but cleanish. We did notice some spots in the room that had not been cleaned in a while (vents, sprinkler, bottom of sink). Our room on the 19th floor had a great view of the city and park across the street. Parking is convenient next door for $20/day, but you have to walk through the mall to get back into the hotel (very short walk). Wished the room had a fridge or a safe, but not really needed. From looking at several posts, there is a range of money people have paid to stay here. Maybe some of the floors are more up to date. The breakfast buffet was great and the service was excellent. We would definitely stay here again, since we do not go to Montreal to hang out in the hotel room.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to see the beautiful view of the city at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TfromVT
belsab, Director of Operation at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard your comments and consider them in its just value. It’s thanks to you, that we have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I wanted to be at the Montreal Festival of lights and be close to Place de Arts.I got a good deal on HotWire, 85 dollars complete,

After reading the wide range of reviews I was pleasantly surprised, though puzzled by the number of stars rated by Hotiwre and the hotel. Perhaps they thought they should have more stars for the ligh festival.

The location was excellent, parking was around 20 dollars, very convenient, tight and low,and security seemed good.

The front desk check in was fast,pleasant and accurate, I got what I had asked for. Check out was swamped the nexy day: but they did add another clerk promptly. As there was only one so check out was not to bad.

Common areas were average, not 3 to 4 star, but clean. The pool area appearded clean and there was a guard/attendant.

My room was good sized, clean and with an awesome view up the main street,Tthe bed was very comfortable, The linens were adequate, not 4 star but OK. There was Krup coffee machine.

As to the stars, they claim 4 stars on there front wall. plastic cups, for the rooms, really? Hotel toiletries a step below a motel 6; 2 star. The room and bathroom were dated, but clean. Clunky furniture and an old tired bathroom.

The Wifi worked great, TV very old and not great, nor was the cable selection teririfc. But I was not there to watch TV.

I had a nice time and got a great rate, I would have not wanted to pay more than 85 dollars total for the night. The other hotels that were listed with Hotwire have a much more accurate rating sytem.

This hotel is more like 2.5 to 3 stars, not the 3.5 to 4 that they have.listed.

There primary strength is location and their staff, every staff peson I met was very helpfull.

PS

The area seems safe, and yes there are street folk, but it is a city and I thought things outside very tame. There were even cleverly dressed young men washing your car windows if you stopped at the intersection.

Room Tip: High up and a view up(west) St Catherine Street is a good way to go. Nice view and a bit less noisy...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been to Montreal several times and had never heard of this place until I scored a deal for $71/night on Hotwire. I was pleasantly surprised. It's attached to a mall with a food court, grocery store and metro station, and is about a 10-minute walk from Place des Arts (festivals and shows) and 20 minutes to the shopping on St. Catherines. I've stayed at several major chains in the area (Marriott, Chelsea, Intercontinental) and while they are definitely chicer/more modern, the Gouverneur was clean, comfortable and pleasant. Room size is comparable to any of the others, customer service was good, the view from my 9th floor room was lovely and while the decor could stand to be updated, my room was perfectly fine. The pool seemed good (several people were using it but I forgot my suit) and my only real disappointment was the gym...only had some cardio equipment, no weights or benches. My standard room lacked frills such as a refrigerator and a newer TV but for a weekend and at that price, they're not missed. Looking at other reviews, I think people need to keep their expectations in check. A hotel downtown in a major city at this price isn't going to be the Ritz. I would stay there again and recommend it to people looking to save a bit of money on accomodations and are only looking to use a hotel for what I did - sleep, shower and use the gym.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jen M

We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard all your comments and consider them in its just value.

For your information, it’s possible to reserve a refrigerator at the time of the reservation at a low cost. Also, we are looking forward to new devices for our Gym such as benches and weights.

Again, It’s thanks to you, that we have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations. We hope to have the chance to welcom you again in a near futur!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Pros: price ($99 CAD), central location, good size room, clean, friendly front desk staff, and great views.

Cons: the hotel is a little worn down - from the fixtures in the bathroom, to the furnishings, wallpaper, and decor. It has the potential to become a 4 star hotel, but it is definitely a 3 star hotel.

The price and location made it a worthwhile stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tyler_cp

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I typically give good reviews for everywhere I go however, this hotel did not meet my expectations.

Parking was a huge issue which the hotel conveniently does not like to claim any responsibility for the parking atrocity. I spoke to the front desk personnel about my situation but they made no apologies because the hotel doesn't own the underground lot, they merely have a contract for hotel guests to use it. The parking garage was typical for any large metropolitan city but I found this one particularly foul. There simply were not enough spaces for the hotel guests.

The parking attendant was rude and asked to park my car for me. I found this condescending to me since I am fully capable of driving my car irregardless of my gender. He also asked my friend to get out of my car without communicating what his intentions with my car were. He managed to fit my car into the smallest space. This parking space had a low hanging ceiling (lower than the rest of the parking structure) with all sorts of pipes and vents hung above. While gathering our luggage from the car both our heads hit the pipes and my trunk was unable to be opened fully. Prior to checking in, this was already a huge disappointment.

Then it gets worse. Upon entering the room I am startled by the very large burn mark from an iron on the carpet. Obviously, another guest had done this and the hotel deemed the room suitable for renting. There is attached pictures of that.

Taking a swim in the pool was ok but it was dark and dingy. It should be better lit there and the pool was in an older condition. I give the pool a 3/5 ranking. At least it had a lifeguard on duty.

We stayed in room 910, and I only remember this because we had to report that our toilet was clogged 4-5 times minimum during the second day/night. Every time we were reassured the clog had been resolved by the maintenance personnel, which simply was not the case. We had thought that a large hotel would take notice to the volume of calls placed about the clogged toilet but no special attention was provided to this issue. Front desk needed to be called twice or more before someone come to take care of the toilet. It was awkward and an inconvenience to have the maintenance employees entering the room at all hours of the night.

After sleeping in the bed all night I had noticed that one of the pillowcases had a large ink stain on it. I took all of the pillowcases off of the pillows. I had expected the housekeeper(s) would see they were dirty and replace them. They for whatever reason took the dirty pillow cases and made the bed up leaving one bed with no pillowcases. Replacing the dirty linens seemed standard to me. I was unimpressed by having to use a blanket as a makeshift pillowcase.

The second night while picking up the ice bucket there was a discovery of something that should not have been in there. It was a heating pad that some women use for their period cramps. We took the ice bucket to front desk and they offered to clean it. That seemed reasonable. However, going an hour without an ice bucket with frequent reminders did not suffice. It was surprising that the hotel did not have spares to offer to us instead of sending us back to our room empty handed. This was a large disappointment of the front desk and housekeeping staff because ice buckets should be clean for new guests.

The next day we wanted to extend our stay (huge mistake!), which involved creating a new reservation. This was understandable. The room was prepaid and there should have not been any other charges incurred. I was charged $6 for making local calls for ordering takeout. I was unaware that using the land line would come at a charge. The front desk personnel explained this cost was standard in all Montreal hotels. So, involuntarily I paid the fee.

Staying a third night was a big mistake. The toilet clogged at least another 5 times. The toilet would continue to clog and it was a constant battle trying to get maintenance to fix it. This was the last straw for me. Never again will I stay here.

Furthermore, I was disappointed that there were no recycling bins in the room. Although, recycling programs are slowly being introduced into many hotel chains I was unimpressed that I had to take my recyclable items home in my suitcase. This is something the hotel should consider in investing in for their guests.

While checking out the next morning I gave the front desk this extensive complaint of all of the disappointments that had occurred over the course of a three nights stay. I informed them I would be posting a complaint on TripAdvisor and other travel sites. They managed to refund me the $6 for the usage of the phone because during the entirety of checking in this ridiculous fee was not mentioned. As a refund for staying in the undesirable room I was given $30. That was not enough for what endured over the course of three nights.

Overall, the view from the room was the best feature and that isn't saying a lot. The front desk staff are incompetent at their job since they continually needed to be reminded to send an ice bucket and to dispatch a maintenance person to unclog the toilet. I truly adore the city of Montreal but I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends