1,335 results
All reviewsplace dupuisbusiness floordrug storeberri uqammetro linebit datedgreat view of the cityconvenient locationtwo double bedscatherine streetold citysupermarketprivilegesundergroundcanadachinatown
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed once again at my Favorite Hotel. Please note the Following:
1. Area is Safe!!! This is a city Folks
2. You cant be scared of People around Subway, and streets, Don't bug them, they leave you alone.
3. Coming from NYC, I feel safe in The "Village/Latin Quarter" I have walked by myself, 3 am and Not Feeling scared.
4. Manager Lino, his Assistant Kiev, and the Entire Staff, Go out of there way to make ALL Guests Feel welcome.
5. Address any Room Problems while at Hotel, not in Bad review after your stay.
6. Join Club Gouverneur!!
7. Book online on THEIR WEBSITE, or on Phone Directly. Reservations staff are incredible.
8. BREAKFAST, You Need to check your room rate on whether Full Breakfast at Check-in, or Continental. Many rates Include Full Breakfast, so ask in advance.
Restaurant has Excellent Staff, as does Bar.
9. THREE LEVELS OF ROOMS< OR YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Folks don't book standard room on other sites and expect to be on Business Floors.
10. Enjoy Montreal, and the Hotel Des Gouverneur, Place Dupuis: It is a Magical City and incredible Hotel.
11. Hotel is 4 stars!! Hotel Extremely Clean, and Property Not dated!!
Thank you once again to Lino, and His incredible staff for making my annual New Years's Stay Better then ever!!
Jon Parkus.

Room Tip: Book through Hotel Website!!!! Ask for City View!! Be Patient Staff will always help you, This is not NYC, so Slow Down and enjoy the Quality of Life during your vacation, trip.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lance32
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel does not even deserve 2 stars. How these people got away with calling this place a 4 star is mind boggling. I work at a 4 star property in Toronto. This place could not even qualify for a 2 star rating under our standards. The property is very outdated and in need of repairs. It seems as if it hasn't received an upgrade in the last 40 years. The rooms are filthy. Upon check in, we were placed in a room which had a yellow stained toilet. When I say yellow, I mean mustard yellow staining all over. It looked like an accumulation which had never seen bleach. I wish that I thought of taking a picture then. I asked front desk to move me to another room and they said it would be a $20 charge because the only double bed room they had available was one which required an upgrade. I asked one of the managers to take a look at the toilet and even he had to agree that it was disgusting. They moved me to another room which was supposed to be non smoking. The entire room reeked of cigarette smoke. I had 2 children with me. When I inquired about the smell, the staff simply stated that their records show it to be a nonsmoking room. Yes, that was probably true, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that people have been smoking in there anyway. It was a busy weekend for us, so I decided to drop it and just focus on all the activities we had planned. I had brought my little Maltese dog with us and had notified the hotel of this. I was also charged a $30 fee for bringing my dog, which was fine with me. We stayed at the hotel for 3 days and had 2 rooms booked. My dog was with us the whole time and we had left her in the room by herself for no longer than 3 hours per day since we were aware it was her first trip away from home and it could be stressful to leave her by herself for a longer period of time. On the last day we went out for dinner and when we got back my dog was missing!!! I almost suffered a heart attack!!! I was in such a panic mode since my dog is a part of the family and it felt as if my child had been kidnapped. I rushed to the front desk in panic. It turns out she had been making noise and they took her out of the room. They even had the audacity to lecture me on leaving my dog in the room. For future reference to all of the incompetent staff at the gouverneur : if there are rules for the dog's stay and leaving your dog alone in the room, it is the responsibility of the staff to relay such policy to the customer upon check-in. Preferably, there should be something in writing so that there is no he said she said misunderstandings. The most important thing to teach the hotel staff would be: U DO NOT TAKE A PERSON'S PROPERTY....ESPECIALLY THEIR DOG WHICH IS A LIVING CREATURE AND TO DOG OWNERS A MEMBER OF THEIR FAMILY, AND YOU DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT LEAVING A NOTE!!!!!! Had they left a note, it wouldn't have all been such a stressful experience. Upon check-out I explained the issues about our stay to the front desk agent. She acted as if the biggest issue was the noise complaint she received about my dog. On top of this I was charged $20 per night on an upgrade which I wouldn't need had the room been up to par. This would never happen at my place of work! You would be upgraded for free, given sincere apologies chocloate covered strawberries as an extension to the apology. This hotel has absolutely no standards! Oh btw check the ceilings of your rooms, our second room had cob webs. One of the many ways in which this hotel lacks management to do a quality check inspection.
Do not stay here, there are plenty of choices in Montreal. Had I been the one booking the room it would have been different. I would not have picked this property, but since my brother booked it along with his plane tickets from the US, he failed to make sure he read the reviews first.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria M
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've stayed at Place Dupuis several times over the years in Montréal. I've always had a good experience. The rooms have spectacular views of the city and you have the Berri-UQAM Metro station right underneath the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to get there. There's an attached shopping complex that has been overhauled with a new IGA grocery store as well as a pharmacy and food court for modest eats. Breakfast is expensive unless you get it included in your rate. At that point, you'll have friendly staff who serve up a nice breakfast experience. There's also a tiny little bar area on the mezzanine floor with talkative bartenders and a few options if you don't want to venture out. Parking is a little pricey, but you are in the middle of the city. Watch out if you have a tall vehicle as it may not clear the very low ceiling!

The location is great if you are going to be around Rue Ste-Catherine's activities although I would agree that there are homeless people around. However, they're around most places in Montréal where there are hotels and stores. Just be aware of your surroundings - had more trouble with the students at Berri-UQAM begging for money and then getting assertive if you don't give them any. Since the Metro is attached, you can be just about anywhere in minutes and not even go outside. Be sure to know how crowded it can be around the rush hour times or during events like the Jazz Festival or after the fireworks competition completes. In fact, the Metro is so crowded after the fireworks in the summer, I end up walking back to the hotel. It is a bit of a haul, but I never felt unsafe because of the volume of people and you can find a ton of restaurants open on the way back if you didn't have dinner already.

I mark this as a hotel of choice when I stay in Montréal. I always have a good night's rest and a room that's clean and efficient. The prices are very reasonable and the facilities are what I need.

Room Tip: High floors that face downtown have spectacular views, especially at sunset.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am originally from Montreal and when I come back I like to stay downtown for at least one night. I booked this on Hotwire and unfortunately I was placed here which is a little far from where I wanted to be, especially in snowy, cold December..

The rooms are dated and definitely in need of a renovation. I can't comment much on the service as our only interface with the hotel staff was during check-in and check-out.

Overall this is a decent place to stay but not at all memorable and this is reflected in the price.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am from Montreal and I often come back and visit. Everytime I do, I stay at this hotel. You can't beat the price or location. The rooms are clean, the views gorgeous, the beds very comfortable, and the floors quiet. The service is spectacular! I once had an issue, where my car broke down, and the manager worked with hotels.com to help me change my reservation. They are caring and compassionate, and dedicated to providing excellent customer service. Last time I was there, I asked for a fridge to be put in my room, and they did it easily, which was awesome because there is a supermarket downstairs (and a pharmacy next door), and I could buy delicious food and beverages, and store it there. You don't even have to go outside if you don't want to because it is connected to the subway and underground. Because this hotel is attached to a mall and the epicenter of the subway system (Berri), there is excellent shopping nearby, and you can get to anywhere in minutes. You are also right next to St. Denis street, and on the university of Quebec campus, so it is definitely centrally located, near the bus station, and on St. Denis, there is trendy shopping and delicious food and fabulous bars. I felt perfectly safe walking to my hotel late at night, and I love being connected to a mall and restaurants, so i can walk indoor when it is cold outside. This is a great, clean, safe, comfortable hotel, with excellent service and a wonderful location. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: higher up you get even better views of the city
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple