“Super Friendly Staff Handcuffed by Rules”
Review of Hotel de l'ITHQ

Hotel de l'ITHQ
Ranked #32 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Ontario
“Super Friendly Staff Handcuffed by Rules”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We extend some advice to the Faculty. You absolutely must convey to the staff that it is OK to think on their own. While friendly and very courteous, it felt all the while that the staff were following a set of rules for every situation. Example -- just prior to check-in, my wife had fallen while cycling and had cut her head. Bleeding through her make-shift bandage, she approached the concierge for a fresh bandage while I was at the registration desk. She was informed that her room number was needed before a band-aid was provided. Whaaat!? Make no mistake -- this person was extremely friendly. But she did not employ a normal judgement of the situation. Did it even matter if we were guests?

We found this lack of judgement to be the case in a number of instances -- no major things, but enough for two couples to have observed the same. You must teach the student employees to assess & respond to each situation with logic and reasonableness. Never say "NO, it can't be done", even if the rulebook instructs them to the contrary. This is a critical part of the hospitality curriculum.

That said, we had a very positive experience and would definitely stay again..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PeterHOntario
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear PeterHOntario,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you feel that way about the service provided by the students who work at the Hotel. We do have a particular standing because of our hotel-school status. We have approximately 15 new students to train at the front desk and concierge desk every year and we do need to train them with some clear procedures. They are in a learning process and usually put all their heart to give the best service they can.
I do take in consideration your remark and will try to ease the impact it has on costumer service.
We trully hope to welcome you again soon!
Rooms division manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great location and the room rates are well priced. Located in a neighbourhood where the strolling and people watching is great fun. The hotel is located near the Metro and very handy for getting around. The rooms are well appointed with a balcony and bistro set outside. Beds have great mattresses and pillows.
Our one complaint involved trying to find a bottle cap opener. We arrived on a hot June day and my husband wanted to treat himself to a beer on the balcony. We asked the concierge and he phoned our room 10 minutes later to let us know that he couldn 't locate one and we'd have to wait a couple of hours before the restaurant opened. This from a teaching institution! The woman who checked us out said that if bottle openers were placed in the room, people would steal them. We then suggested the kind that screw into the wall and her reply was that it was far too complicated. Nevertheless there is a great coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board and robes in every room. Is it really so difficult to find a bottle cap opener in the entire hotel?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MLF1955
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear MLF 1955,
Thank you for writing your review.
You are right, it should not be difficult to find a basic bottle opener for our guests. We usually keep a stack at the front desk and it seems like none were left when you have requested one. I am sorry you have to wait an hour to finally get one.
We have just received new bottle openers yesterday, and will take your suggestion to the word! It will much more easier to our guests to have their own bottle opener in the room.
Thank you again for your suggestions and we look forward to welcome you again!

Waterloo
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights while at a conference. For the price you can't ask for more. Room was clean and a good size. Bed very comfortable. Wifi fast. And the breakfast buffet, although somewhat limited in options, was much higher quality than the the standard Hampton Inn type breakfasts. My only minor complaint is that there was an annoying humming sound coming from somewhere which kept me awake one evening. I am guessing it was the air conditioning unit on the roof of the hotel, but I did not inquire. Regardless, I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Montreal.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mikalwaterloo
Dear Mikalwaterloo,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you have enjoyed your stay. Although, I am very curious to know the room you were staying in. There might be something to be fixed that could stopped the humming.
We are looking forward to welcome you again!
514-282-5120 x 4249
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our recent three-night stay at Montreal's Hotel de L'Institut renewed our passion for the city and left us with a remarkable feeling of hope in the aftermath. This powerful emotion comes because of the hotel's unique recipe for success; pairing enthusiastic students of the hotel and tourism industries with travellers looking for the best possible accommodations, food, and prices while on the road.

Renewing our passion for the city may sound strange, once you know that we also live in Montreal. Because of major renovations to our apartment, we had to book into a hotel for the duration of repairs. Since we live only a few blocks from the Institute of Hotel & Tourism of Quebec, we thought it would be a good opportunity to experience their hospitality.

I would recommend this location to anyone travelling through Montreal, and for a variety of reasons. Location is paramount when travelling, and this spot is literally located on top of a main subway (Metro) station, so you are able to explore the entire city without a car. The building itself has been recently updated, so all the amenities are modern and beautiful.

The closer for us though was the dining experience, as it gives guests an opportunity to interact with the student body, an experience not possible at regular accommodations, and not to be missed. The drive to serve guests at the best level possible is as obvious as the struggle to be professional, timely, and polite. This is a golden opportunity to forge those traveller's memories which inspire all of us to explore new places and meet different people.

The food is divine, the wine list very respectable, and the prices quite surprising. For example; starting May 28th, the hotel's restaurant is beginning a new "Three-Course Meals For $25 and $35" menu.

This amazing offer includes such items as: glazed mackerel wit Espelette pepper, smoked potatoes and horseradish tofu as an appetizer, pan-fried halibut steak, tart apricot sauce, zucchini flower tempura and mascarpone quenelle with basil as one of the main dish offerings, and dessert possibilities such as chocolate lava cake with maple dulce de leche filling.

Perhaps one of the most delightful dining room settings in the city overlooks Carré Saint-Louis in the popular Le Plateau quarter, and surprise, surprise, the sift background music is actually tastefully selected and kept at a comfortable volume level. Mille mercies!

If you choose not to stay in the hotel (super great location for summer fireworks watching), then treat yourselves to breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of the city's best-kept secrets. You could even take a workshop session to be a better chef, like Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton did when they visited.

Feel like royalty and spend like a pauper at Hotel de l"institut.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gbgallagher
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Mr. Gallagher,
Thank you so much for your amazing review.
It was a pleasure to welcome you in our hotel! You will always be most welcome.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was highly recommended to me by a friend. I admit I was a little skeptical at first since it is a 'school' ... but without a doubt, it was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. I am not someone who needs many amenities in a hotel, so this place was just right for me. What I do need and appreciate is a comfortable bed to sleep in - that's why I am there at the hotel - to sleep. Let me tell you that the bed in my room was the most comfortable ever. No exaggeration at all. If you like a really hard and firm bed, then you won't like it here. If you like soft, comfortable beds, then you'll love these! Even their pillows are for sale!!! There was a small balcony with my room that looked over to Mont Royal. If the weather had been a little nicer, I would have enjoyed my morning Nespresso out there for sure! Oh yeah, they have a Nespresso machine in the room. Not one of those cheap and crappy one cup drip machines - one of the best and easiest to use espresso machines around.

A breakfast buffet is included with the room price. There was a nice selection of food available, nothing made to order, obviously. The Eggs Benedict in the warming tray was good and my egg wasn't overcooked. That was a nice surprise. It's a pretty basic selection of food, but overall good. There was fresh fruit, yogurt, four different pastries (all quite yummy). There was also bacon, ham, sausages, eggs (benny one day, scrambled the second day), french toast with maple syrup, fritata and potatoes. Coffee, tea, and juice brought it all together. It was lovely to have the servers remember me on my second morning and bring my coffee and orange juice to my table without me asking! That was the perfect touch!

Overall, the hotel was very, very good. It sits atop a subway station, so getting around town is super easy. Also, the neighborhood is lovely to walk around in and window shop and there are some fabulous restaurants within walking distance. I have already told friends about this hotel and have recommended it completely. Next time I'm in Montreal ... and there will definitely be a next time (I love this city!!), I'll stay here for sure!

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room facing Mt. Royal and with a balcony. Great for morning coffee / tea.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DeeR12
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a teaching hotel because it a a hotel associated with a school in which the hospitality students get practical experience. For the record, I love restaurants associated with cooking schools and support the educational experience.That said, there are certain basic lessons that should have been learned after all these years.

While the staff is lovely and earnest, the supervision must be lacking. I found the room dirty and the bathtub incapable of draining. The wifi in the room was very unreliable. It is a shame because it is in a great location near some of the most interesting neighborhoods in Montreal. I also expected a great buffet breakfast because they are a cooking school. The buffet was extremely limited and the quality was poor. Great unrealized potential between the neighborhood, location and charming students. All they are missing is management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Clifford K
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Mr. Clifford K,
We appreciate you took the time to write your comments. I am sorry you feel that way about the Hotel de l'Institut. I can assure you that our housekeeping supervisor works hard to ensure the high quality and cleanliness of our rooms. Most of the time,our costumers give positive comments about it, not only on Tripadvisor, but in our house survey as well. I am sorry it was not the case for you.
As for the free wi-fi access, we are aware that the signal is weaker in the 4 rooms located in the corner of our building. We are in the process of changing our internet services and this situation should be resolve in the following months. We do have some computers available for our guests in the lobby area that have acces to internet.
chartreuse
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent 9 days at ITHQ begining of april 2013 and it was a very good experience
Booking was very easy and people very helpfull.
Rooms are spacious , with confortable King Beds ;
Our room was equipped with a shower .
At arrival , we got a room at 7th floor with a defective heating system . The room gouvernante immediatetly gave us a new room : she is really so much helpfull
We had several dinners at the hotel restaurant : the food is very good and all the staff ( mainly students ) is very kind .

The hotel location is very good , and metro station is in the sale building , at the corner . So you are downtown in just 5 minutes

Very good experience to share

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ithq_hotel, Front Office Manager at Hotel de l'ITHQ, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear ChartreusePier,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you have experienced a problem with the heating unit... but I am glad to see that our team did their best to solve the problem.
We trully hope to welcome you again soon!

Rooms division Manager