“Best Kept Secret in Montreal”
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #64 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Not only was the room size more than adequate and the bathroom clean and abundantly stocked with fluffy towels and the beds firm with very high quality sheets......the staff was outstanding! from the concierge that flagged down a cab without being asked, to bell men who would get our car at a moment's notice from the parking lot. Everyone was very helpful and eager to help us explore different parts of their wonderful city. Polite, engaging, helpful, friendly.......I could go on! The location of this hotel is great. Just a couple of blocks (10 min) from St Catherine St. and a few more to the Eaton Center. We will use this hotel again and I would recommend it. Not gaudy and posh....just very comfortable...in every way.

However, the buffet breakfast was expensive and there are several GREAT breakfast restaurants in short walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank Dalkeither
There are newer reviews for Chateau Versailles

Reviewed January 3, 2005

the good, the bad and the ugly. Good? Great room decor, nice paint. nice lobby and good breakfast buffet. The bad? Terrible view from my 'deluxe room' on the 4th floor. Looked out over a dirty roof and peeling paint brick walls. no elevator, older carpet in the hallways. The ugly? AAARGH. the walls are (as one reviewer said before) VERY thin. Each sneeze, thump and bump is heard like in your own room. In my case, i was surrounded on two sides by some very late night very loud couples. no escape for the entire weekend. Add to this, no pool (the sauna is TINY and tucked out of the way in the basement) and an awkward (to say the least) parking situation - and you must consider this hotel well below any of 6-8 other options in the same class of service in montreal. I will NEVER stay there again.

12  Thank vermontskiguy62
Reviewed July 24, 2004

As with several other reviews listed for this hotel, I concur that the experience is generally a good one. The staff was helpful, the location good and room decent. However, I found the temperature in the room to be unpredictable and apparently out of my control. It was warm and humid during the three days I was in Montreal, so that is definitely a factor. Also, I would compare the continental breakfast to that of any low-end U.S. hotel. with dry and unappealing pastry and only 2% milk for the coffee. After one bite and one sip, I promptly walked two blocks down Sherbrooke to a wonderful french boulangerie for a cheap and wonderful breakfast.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We stayed in this hotel over a year ago. Only recently did I discover tripadvisor website. We found a special on the internet which we paid $99 American dollars a night. I was quick to book this room since the hotel website was considerably more expensive. I guess the adage 'you get what you pay for' was applicable to our stay. I was very apprehensive when heading to our room when realizing that we were taking steps to a basement! Obviously there were no overhead pipes or concrete steps no Freddie Kruger elements. All was done very tastefully with nice lighting and carpet. Upon opening the door to our room I was impressed by the large size of the room and the elegant decor. However, our windows were up high like the basement of my parent's split level home. Remember on the television show 'Laverne and Shirley' how they looked up and out their windows at pedestrians legs walking by? Kinda' like that.

Positives: One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Top quality linens. Beautiful bathroom with granite. Comfy, heavy duty robes. Excellent location which puts you in the heart of everything, , despite facing the street, rooms were quiet and I never heard noise from any other rooms. Nice breakfast.

Negatives: Well there was the basement factor which was dark and distracted from many of the luxuries i.e. nice, high quality decor. Staff was friendly but not terribly helpful. Whenever we would ask a question so simple as directions to a restaurant, the staff would inform us that we needed to speak with concierge across the street at Hotel Versialles. The most basic and rudimentary inquires were referred to the concierge. Believe me I do not have 'concierge issues' I just did not want to have to cross one of Montreal's busiest streets to obtain any answers!

I gave Chateau Versialles 4 stars because Of price and location. I would have been livid if I paid full price for this accomodation. It has definately made me more aware and cautious when using disounted bookings.

10  Thank jkjohnson1