“Decent hotel in a nice area of the city”
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #63 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Decent hotel in a nice area of the city”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed at the Chateau for a 3 night mini-break during the Christmas holidays. It was our second stay at the hotel. We had booked one of their Deluxe Rooms with Queen bed.
Room was fine, nothing fancy but comfortable and clean, really what I would classify as a standard room. A smaller window looked out onto the side street. Our first night did not go so well as we had noise issues from the “guests” in the neighbouring room. The next morning we approached the front desk about our concerns. The front desk Manager “John” was very helpful and arranged to move us to another room. He showed us a couple of other rooms in the hotel we could move to and made sure we were happy with the room before we moved. This I would say is one of the hotels strong points, the very helpful and friendly staff employed at this establishment. Always eager to help with restaurant reservations, tourist advice or addressing any concerns one might have.

As previously mentioned this was our second time staying here. Our first visit we had one of the Deluxe King Fireplace rooms facing Sherbrooke Street. These rooms are much brighter and definitely make for a nicer stay. I would recommend one of these rooms if you can get a good deal on one.

A bonus at this hotel is the complimentary continental breakfast. Very good and served in a charming little dining lounge.

The historic old building itself has a very nice front façade though just plain brick on the sides. As can be said about the structure of the building so goes the hotel, comfortable and decent but frayed a little on the sides yet still good value in a nice neighbourhood.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
YanickB, Director of Sales at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

I happy to hear that we were able to react and get you a quieter room after your first night. Thank you for coming forward and letting us help in making your stay better.

In French we say "jamais 2 sans 3" (never 2 without 3), so we will look forward to your next stay.

YB.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
Maritimes, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Lovely heritage building in downtown Montreal, ideally situated for tourists. Close enough to walk to any downtown restaurant or other attraction and right on the bus line. Our room had a great high ceiling and was quite spacious, but the amenities were dated, especially the bathroom. The bathroom was very cramped with an old style tub and not much counter space for everything. Not luxurious at all and the floors in the corridor were uneven and creaked when you walked on them. Valet parking only, not too convenient.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately the noisy floors come with the charm of a heritage building like Château Versailles (the hotel turned 100 in 2011). We absolutely understand that it is not for everyone. Your comment will certainly be very useful to future guests who might not enjoy this as well.

Montreal
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My sister-in-law won tickets for a overnight's stay at The Chateau Versailles asking me to accompany her. I have always wanted to stay overnight at a hotel during the Christmas season, to take in some shopping and a movie so I jumped at the chance to do so. From the moment I entered this hotel on Sherbrooke Street in Montreal, Quebec Canada I was charmed by the place. The receptionist behind the desk was so friendly and it being Christmas the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays. I loved the high ceilings and the crown moldings were spectacular. Because this is an older building there was no elevator, so many stairs to climb not too good for anyone handicapped but of course the first floor is always an option . I loved the oak banister, not so sure about the paintings found them a bit strange and not to my taste. Our room was a bit disappointing as I was expecting one with a gas fireplace although the beds were comfortable and the room most spacious I found it lacked charm but the tickets were free after all. However next visit I will reserve one with a fireplace. We shopped took in The Ogilvy's window downtown Ste Catherine Street always magical, and the Christmas lights around the city were beautiful. The next morning after a good and peaceful night's sleep, we went down for a delicious continental breakfast the best one I ever experienced so much choice not the usual toast and jam. There was a huge selection of everything from cereal, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit salad, apple turnovers and so much more. The coffee was excellent, we sat in comfortable arm chairs beside the lit fireplace and the room was all tastefully decorated for Christmas. Overall experience would recommend this place highly, very pleasant experience worth checking it out instead of staying in a more modern hotel. However if modern is your choice the Chateau Versailles has a more modern accommodation directly across the street, The Chateau Versailles Meridian.

Room Tip: Pick one with a fireplace
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
YanickB, Director of Sales at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guests,

Sounds like a great thing to do between Christmas and New Year's indeed! We have a few rooms that have working fireplaces. Hope you can enjoy one of them next time you stay with us.

ottawa
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have just returned from a wee jaunt to Montreal where I stayed at CV for two nights. I was lured to this hotel through a Living Social special (not unlike Groupon) which seemed like an exceptionally good deal. The package included valet parking (such a big bonus for someone like me who detests a 50-100 dollar parking bill in major cities), a coupon to a chocolatier, passes to a museum and 2 nights in the "King Fireplace Suite". I did as much due dilligence as I thought necessary by reviewing the website and marvelled at the beauty of the rooms. The location is unquestionably superb....close to downtown hot spots, Holt Renfrew, The Ritz (where they serve a divine brunch/lunch on weekdays and weekends) and myriad museums and galleries and the staff is efficient and perfectly bilingual.
What I was most disappointed about was the room. Yes, the high ceilings and windows were striking (and, I might add, the windows are "openable" which was a bonus) however luxury it was not. Firstly, there was no desk area or work station. There was a big empty corner with holes in the wall and chipped paint...but no place to hook up the laptop or charge the Blackberry. Secondly, there were Saran wrapped plastic cups in the bathroom. Ok, call me a snob but to me, plastic cups are what you expect at a Super 8....not a boutique hotel touting itself to be a "luxury destination". I was totally unimpressed by that gaffe. Thirdly, there was no duvet. How hard is it to invest in a down duvet? Instead, there was a king-sized wool/cotton blend blanket (again....a la Super 8) over a sheet and on top of that was a polyester bed cover. This was an issue for me on both nights as the heating was not working in the hotel rooms during that period. I can assure you that there is no such thing as "snuggling up" and getting warm under an old polyester bedspread.The lamps were missing the screws keeping the shades straight, the TV was an archaic chunk of technology and the walls in both the room and bathroom were chipping paint in some spots and looked overused and overtouched.
The breakfast was complimentary (although this again was part of the package) and was quite good; no complaints about quality. The person in charge of the eatery wasn't always on the ball with the coffee but I can say that it was worth waiting for.

This hotel has amazing potential. The bones of the building are solid and tell a great story (you can read about the history of the hotel along the hallway walls). What I saw was a lot of smoke and mirrors though. It wouldn't cost much....nor would it be difficult to "posh up" this hotel by adding simple thoughtful touches. I wasn't prepared for the lack of luxury I found awaiting me. Plastic, dusty flowers on a mantlepiece do not turn me on......

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Mistura
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments. We are always looking for honest comments form our guests so we can improve.

London, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is really about the perfect hotel - it is affordable, in a beautiful old building with modern amenities, and you can open the windows to get fresh air. Great breakfast, great coffee. My night was not without its glitches (wireless down for a while, toilet initially not working) but these were addressed promptly by the staff. What's more, I left a dress behind and the staff found it and had it sent to me.
The location is perfect. We did lots of shopping, and had great thai food and sushi nearby.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Perfect! Wow, thank you for your great comments.

See you again soon.

Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My family and I spent 4 nights in three rooms here...and we'd do it again. It was convenient to the subway and restaurants in walking distance. The decor in this lovely hotel was so beautiful. The ceiling in the 'parlor' beside the main lobby and the antique touches are very pretty. The floor in our room, in the hallways, and on the stairs was rather squeaky, so I hope we didn't disturb other guests, but it is kinda charming. Free wifi worked great. The breakfast was quite simple but very well orchestrated. Some of the carpet, and our bathroom, seemed a little tired and in need of some sprucing up, but everything was clean and functional. I have to say that the staff throughout the hotel were remarkable. Everyone greeted us with a smile. They made restaurant recommendations, transportation suggestions, and laughed with us as we experimented with our French and our touristy questions. It may have snowed during our trip, but it was wonderfully warm inside!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for your charming comments! We are very proud of our little hotel and will encourage our associates to go take a look at your comments. Glad we were able to add to your experiance of Montreal. Hope to see you again soon.
Warm Regards,

Sandie Moran
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have visited many cities around the world and I can confidently say Chateau Versailles and the city of Montreal is my Favourite number 1 place to stay and visit.

The hotel is located in a fantastic area of the city, everything is within walking distance. Very clean establishment, staff was friendly, informative and overall a wonderful crew.

Room was great. Good size, and 'french' looking-in a good way! They offered breakfast in the morning which had a variety to choose from.

Parking is limited and can be pricey. You can avoid this and go the frugal route by walking 30 seconds east of the hotel to the college campus and park in their lot for half the price in a secure lot.

The city is filled with niche cafes, restuarants, bars, pubs, shops and even cater to the sports fanatics out there. It's a thriving city and I highly recommend people visit and take advantage of how amazing the city is. The hotel and staff is true to the whole french culture and a place worth staying at to get the whole french experience.

I Love Montreal xo!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missanabanana
YanickB, Director of Sales at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Merci Beaucoup! We are very happy you had such a wonderful Montreal stay, and that we were a part of it.

See you again soon!