“Pleasant stay but there's better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Ville-Marie Hotel

BEST WESTERN Ville-Marie Hotel
Ranked #36 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant stay but there's better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here last weekend with my friends and had a relatively enjoyable experience. We had all just finished exams and drove from Toronto for the weekend. The best part about our stay would have to be the clean, spacious room and closet space with a large sliding mirror and the friendly and helpful valet service (which I would expect for $25/day on weekends). There was also a noisy fan in our room and the shower pressure was weak. I found the front reception staff were cordial enough, but also somewhat reserved. The hotel is also well situated near shopping and restaurants, but the service wasn't so great or memorable that I would return again.

The power was also out when we came back for the night so we had to walk up several flights of stairs. I'm sure this was a rare occurrence, but as I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my friends the way the on-duty manager was addressing other guests was kind of curt and me me uncomfortable. I would say the front reception service varied, but aside from that night manager the service was pleasant, but not overly courteous or memorable.

Side story: Our rental car was broken into when we parked it near Mont Royale and the front staff were helpful in recommending a window repair place to take that we could go to the next day, but that garage was closed so was pretty disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My daughter and I were driving back from Halifax (to Toronto) and stopped off to visit my son at McGill. This is a fantastic location (all of the other buildings on the block were McGill buildings - so you can't get any closer!) I wish we had stayed here before, but, at least, we're coming back for Adam's graduation ceremony next month! We are definitely returning here! There is valet parking; staff was great; room was very clean and nicely decorated; very large bathroom. Two minor things; the mirrored sliding closet door was off track. The two desk chairs in the basement office room (free internet) were a bit flimsy. Might want to replace those. This is a gem of a hotel. I will definitely recommend it to friends who plan to visit Montreal.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The staff are excellent at this hotel. As well it is very clean and well kept with a very pleasant siotting area and dining area and coffee shop. The location is excellent very close to the shopping district and the Metro.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back overlooking Mont Royal are away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DFP795
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my first time at the Ville-Marie. My experience was excellent, and I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. Location and price are excellent, and the staff was superior, in particular Rami at the front desk, he was incredibly helpful and friendly. Nice clean hotel, and the location allows you to walk to many wonderful shops and restaurants nearby. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Norfolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my second stay at Ville Marie. While there are many attractive attributes of this hotel, I cannot recommend the Internet connection. At times, the signal was so weak that it would not even update Facebook. I also needed to upload video for a work project, but could not find signal that was strong enough even in the lobby.
The best rate that we found was on Priceline.com for about $100. If you are not familiar with the area, many stores close on the weekend at 5pm. The restaurant chain Reuben's has some of the best smoked meat sandwiches. Try the super! Two of these are within walking distance. The cafe at the hotel is also good, but overpriced. If you take a 5 minute walk, you can get a great breakfast at Eggspectations dejeuner & cafe. Just don't count on wifi at that location. Starbucks is close as well and has great wifi.
If you are looking for a church while visiting, La Chapelle was a great experience for me and my friends! Http://lachapelle.me

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator when getting a room assignment.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Revc2
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited McGill University and the Best Western was our choice due to the price and location. We left our vehicle in a garage up the street and just walked to the campus and restaurants near by, The room was very spacious (2 queen beds) and the bathroom was standard but clean. The front desk people were friendly and helpful and the price included free Wi-Fi. The only turn off was the lobby decor that looks dated could have used a good renovation. Overall, very positive stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kazuzu111
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Hotel Ville Marie is a wonderful place to stay in Montreal. Its location is ideal, the rooms are large and clean. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. There was minimal city noise even though it is on the corner of some major streets. The restaurant associated with the hotel is expensive, but the food is delicious. I would happily stay there every time I'm in Montreal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends