“Lovely Stay at the Best Western Ville Marie”

Best Western Ville-Marie Hotel & Suites
Ranked #38 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Lovely Stay at the Best Western Ville Marie”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Best Western Ville Marie. Everybody was really nice and accommodating to the guests. I loved having breakfast in their restaurant. The bread is always freshly baked. But best of all, I got to meet Mangala Ghabeb the maitre d' hotel. She is the sweetest. I happen to spend my birthday in the hotel and she gave me a slice of birthday cake and even sang the birthday song in french for me. She also gave me a pouch of yummy chocolates. This kind of service will really make your stay a very memorable one. :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dizzy1975

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at this BW after a company Christmas party downtown. Great location and great price. You are close to restaurants, nightlife, and steps from McGill University. Room was clean and quiet. The valet parking was a little pricey at $25 but it was worth it knowing the car was safe and warm whenever you needed it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The room was claustrophobic. It was about 4 m by 4 m, which made getting around the furniture very difficult room. There was no hot water, even after running the tap on full for 3 minutes. The bathroom was not heated. When I checked In the desk staff wouldn't give me any information about nearby parking, even after being specifically told I would park my own car. He insisted we use valet service.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here is my tip. Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank McgillParent1141
Switzerland
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We wanted a room in the city for our last night in Montreal and therefore we found a good deal at BEST WESTERN Ville Marie Hotel. The hotel has a good location but the other Best Western (Hotel Europa) has a better location. Our room was ready when we arrived, it was large and the bathroom small but I guess this is the Best Western standard. There was a very noisy fridge but we just turned it off and after a while the heater started working properly. The night was quiet, the bed was comfortable and we left at 12:00 pm. I think this is a good place to stay in Montreal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We needed a room near the McGill campus. The Best Western Ville Marie is a great location with very good prices. On arriving, the desk clerk told us that our room wasn't ready, for which he was very apologetic, as it was 4 pm, and check-in is 3 pm. It turned out that the room was ready, but due to a glitch, hadn't been noted in his computer. Once we got to the room, we were pleasantly surprised to find out how large it was. The shower is great, and there's plenty of room for toiletries. We hoped to eat in the Zawadeh restaurant but it was completely booked for an event. No matter: L'Orchidee Chine is a block away where we had a great meal. The hotel provides free wifi, which is great. Unfortunately, the table is on the opposite side of the room from a plug, so you're out of luck when the battery runs down. The only other complaint is that the message light on the phone blinked, but when I picked up the "messages," it was a commercial for the hotel, which is unnecessary (I'm here!) and annoying. Other than that, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed November 17, 2012

In summary the goods here are hotel location and comfy beds. Pending on specific rooms you may find great value, even a great room, or one of your worst hotel experiences. In addition, staff outright lied to us. It is for the latter I would suggest avoiding this hotel. They cannot be trusted. Oh, and don't order a Grey Goose martini in the hotel restaurant. They will charge you $18.50! If you don't want to read the details that follow and choose to stay at this hotel, if you don't like your room ask to be moved because it is likely there is something much better.

Our first room had an 18" diameter piece of wallpaper bubbled about 1" off the wall directly above our desk. There were divots underneath the carpet where walking barefoot your toes would drop into. There were electrical outlets without covers. There was a 1-1/2" step up into the bathroom without any protection to prevent you from cracking your toes when entering. There was rust around the bathroom sink. The cabinet upon which the coffee maker sat had legs missing off the rear causing the whole cabinet to lean backward. And the noisy fridge sat within the cabinet where you had to open both cabinet doors in order to open the fridge door. All of this we could live with as we just thought the whole hotel was like this. At least we had a comfy bed. Unfortunately the straw that broke the camels back was the room temperature.

The first night having traveled from the west coast and a 2:00 am arrival we did not go to bed until 4 with the windows cracked open and slept OK but it was quite warm in the room, about 21C - 22C. We tried turning the thermostat down the next day but upon arriving to the hotel in the evening it hadn't changed anything so we thought we would just sleep with the windows wide open. Well that night was VERY windy and although it was about 3C outside and we had a crosswind across the bed we were still very hot.

Unfortunately we didn't advise the front desk until late Tuesday at which point they sent up a technician of sorts. He claimed the guy that was most knowledgeable had already left for the day. But he had a look, turned off a fan that was constantly blowing warm air, was in contact with what I believe to be the front desk who between the 2 of them agreed the a/c had been shut down for the winter, and suggested with the fan not running we should be OK if we sleep with the windows open. I believe it was suggested we could move to another room but we had to be up at 5am the next morning and we thought we were better off staying where we were for that night at least given at least we knew what we had and maybe the shutting off of the fan would make a difference. Well it didn't really.

The next morning upon leaving we advised the desk the room was still very warm and could they please get it resolved. We were told they would send someone straight up. Around 6:00 that night we returned and there was no indication of what had transpired so I called the front desk. They said they would send someone right up. So I guess nobody looked at it earlier even though they were taking care of it right away. The tech came up and mucked around with it a bit and asked me if I thought it was better. Apart from turning the fan on high I don't know what he did but all I felt was warm air that "seemed" cool because of it's velocity. I asked him how that was going to cool the room if there is no a/c. He said "well doesn't it feel cooler?". Well sorry but warm air blowing so it feels cool only works if you stand in front of it. It doesn't cool a room. I asked about the a/c and he told me all the hotels in Montreal shut down the a/c in the winter. HUH??? After he left I called a hotel that fit our budget and inquired of their a/c. He laughed at what I was told.

So I went to the front desk and asked to speak with a manager. There wasn't one on site so I advised the fellow of the lie I was just told and my discontent with the room. He asked if I would like to try another room. I was reluctant given my reasoning that if the a/c was shut down in the entire building, why would any other room be cooler. But he pretty much insisted.

Well the first room we went to was very cool, around 17C, and FAR superior in every way to the first. The layout was vastly superior including a full 8' x 8' walk in closet behind a glass door in stark contrast to the tiny 3' closet we had which had an opening of about 18". It also had a wonderful view which I had originally requested but was advised wasn't available due to all the tall buildings in Montreal. And the thermostat actually did something when you turned it. So we moved.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 07 are great! Rooms ending in 03 are HORRIBLE!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business