“Outdated hotel in a modern city”

Best Western Ville-Marie Hotel & Suites
Ranked #38 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Outdated hotel in a modern city”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stayed at the hotel at the beginning of June 2011. From a genera perspective this is an old hotel but its negativities are balanced by its location in the heart of a city's vibrant downtown. I can write a review on the following points:

1- Hotel in General
The building is a huge one with large stories. Entrance is a little narrow with a small lobby and a small reception. It is expected from a 4 stars but can be refurbished to showcase a more luxurious environment. The reception is small with only two counters. Elevators are also old leading to old style corridors at each floor.

2- Rooms
I was able to get a huge room as I was offered a two queen room, knowing that I was solo. It was a last minute booking and got it on time. Rooms need some serious refurbishment. Extremely old school and sometimes lack the finesse you would find in a 4 star chain. I was surprised to see an analogue AC control at the door, cable hiders running over the door, and an old style TV.
The window was very small and it overlooked a residential building, so close that I was actually watching their TV.
The toilets are outdated, strange distribution, they have a style which was hip back in the 60s. I was surprised to heart the loud bang of crunching pipes when my neighbor used his faucets.
Everything in this hotel needs to be redone.

3- Staff
Well here's where the good characteristics start showing. I would definitely give a 5 stars for the staff, their helpfulness, and talkative manner. I was greeted with the best respect ever and was explained everything I needed to know to have access to all amenities of my stay. They know exactly what to tell you.
Housekeeping, room service all promote the same respectful and courteous manners which you expect from the finest chains. My compliments go to two receptionists who were really good at making me fee at home while I was checking in at 1 in the morning.

4- Location
The hotel is located on Sherbrook door to door with McGill university. It is two blocks away from St. Catherines street and a block from Peel Metro station. It is located literally at the heart of all the action and offers access to the best activities in downtown Montreal. That's another 5 stars

I would recommend this hotel for short stays of 2 to 3 days, everything other than that you can get better quality across the street at Omni for the same 200 dollars or just across at the Sofitel

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SagaLEB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Working for an law firm as an interpreter, I often have to travel in Canada and abroad. When I recently visited Montreal on a business-related trip, I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent service provided to me at the reception of the hotel. The staff was amazingly knowledgeable and could answer all the questions I asked them re: shopping, attractions, restaurants, etc. The location of the hotel was absolutely perfect and a fridge in the room was another bonus. I think it's a bargain for the price you pay and will certainly stay there if I have to go to Montreal again. Maria S.

Room Tip: I like rooms on a higher floor.
1 Thank helen196752
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Pros:
Front desk staff friendly (although we only interacted with them minimally)
Centrally located near downtown shopping and restaurants
Comfortable beds
Free wireless

Cons:
Tube tv- not very many channels
Cheap, ineffective toiletries (my hair was not clean after using their products)
Strange room layout - the bed was almost fully blocking acess to the small tale and chairs in the back of the room.
Dingy - old decor, wallpaper, bathrooms, gross carpet, etc.
The hotel room doors were interior door quality and strength, not the exterior door strength they should be.
No continental breakfast
Plastic hanging bar in closet that had trouble even holding the weight of a few suits
Did I mention it was dingy?
Expensive - you are definitely not getting what you pay for.

We did not visit the restaurant.

3 Thank Caedon15
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This place is definitely not as bad as some of the reviews would lead someone to believe. The hotel is a bit dated and could use some updating, but overall it is clean and in a great location with a comfortable bed. How much time do you really spend in the hotel room anyways? it is just two blocks to the subway so can get to pretty much any where in the city fairly quickly. On the downside, they really gouge you with parking fees, $25 per night.

1 Thank lostinatlanta
East Kingston, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 15, 2011

After 8 days of traveling in Canada and getting very lost finding this hotel, we checked in tired and hungry. The gentleman who checked us in, commented that we'd gotten a good price on our room. We checked into this 3 star hotel, hurried to find some food (only coffee shop on site), came back and went to sleep. We awoke to see mold and dirt painted over on the ceiling, a 'log' type board against the bathroom entrance (it was a step up) and was not doing its job. The bed itself was dusty and the room appeared little used. The bathroom floor was very dirty and we found hair on the bthroom counter and some red stuff in the sink; glass table tops were chipped, . When we checked out, I discussed this with the supervisor at the front desk. He listen with a bit of a smile on his face and with insincere comments. He asked why we didn't report it immediately, I asked him why he chose to put us in a one star room. There was much more conversation and in the end, he handed me a copy of my bill and said goodbye. In brief, I believe because we got a good online price (we booked several months in advance), we were given a converted closet quickly set up as a room in a back corner of the hotel. I do not recommend this hotel--I believe this was a bait and switch (this was a Holiday day weekend) so they could sell a 3 star room to someone else for top dollar and I am also questioning my loyalty to Best Western Hotels. This is the most haughty, thoughtless and inconsiderate experience I've ever encountered and I regret going to this hotel. The advertising is not accurate.

Room Tip: Always ask to preview a hotel room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dusty92
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights over the Grand Prix weekend (6/10-6/13/11). It was our first experience with this hotel. We understood it wasn't a 4-5 star place so our expectations were level-set ahead of time. Overall, we found the staff very pleasant, professional and capable. We also picked this hotel due to its location...in the heart of Montreal. Given that getting any hotel room over this busy weekend, we felt that the $289/night cost acceptable. We would not pay this amount over regular weekends. We felt that the hotel needed some serious updating. There is a large section of plywood covering the roof of the cafe in front of the hotel. The windows don't open more than 2 inches...probably because we were on the 3rd floor (#309) and the hotel must have experienced some problems with drunken customers. Anyway, the bathroom was very low rent...actually had the large light plastic cover fall and hit my wife on the head. Luckily, she wasn't really hurt but startled to say the least. There was also a loud banging noise 2 of the 3 nights that woke us up. I notified the staff and it didn't occur on the last night. The furniture was dated and relatively clean. There is no safe in the room. They do have a safe deposit box located at the front desk but we opted to not use it. The onsight restaurant has a Lebanese cuisine for the most part. The cost of liquor is very high...perhaps due to the weekend. They do have a breakfast buffet...$15 per person. Not a great amount of items to select but it was ok for us. We did valet our car for $25/day. No problems there. Overall, we'd probably stay somewhere else for next year's Grand Prix if the price is right.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Skillman, New Jersey
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were booked here by Velo Quebec for the Montreal Bike Fest - no bargain, BTW. I will book a hotel myself next year. As would be expected for a Velo-Quebec "4-star" hotel, there was a fitness room and a restaurant. There was also a free breakfast, which was very pleasant. The restaurant was unimpressive, especially for the neighborhood, which is right next to McGill U. Some people have reviewed the reception staff negatively, but we didn't have any problems. Didn't try the fitness facility, as we were there to bike.

The room left a lot to be desired. We were on the 18th floor - I don't know if this is relevant to the quality. On the positive side, it was clean, the queen bed was comfy, and there was free wireless. On the negative side; everything was very small - the room, the bathroom, the tiny table, everything. The furnishings were worn and to my eyes, ugly. The sink was chipped, the plumbing was noisy, and it was hard to start the shower without banging into the towel rack. There was no desk. There were several other nit-picky annoying things, not worth listing but which affected the stay.

We knew we would have to pay for parking. It was $25 per night, for a total of $75 for three nights, more expensive than we expected.

We are not demanding travelers, but I thought this hotel left much to be desired.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple