“Excellent value - CLEAN :)”

Best Western Plus Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa
Ranked #63 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel is clean, the staff are friendly, and it is very close to all of the shopping and restaurants. It is perfect for a one or two night stay (the rooms are a little small). The price was excellent compared to other places in the same area. I loved how the rooms had hardwood flooring. The restaurant attached to the hotel seems nice - we didn't eat/drink there but it had a fun atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a road trip because my husband is a Best Western card holder.
No breakfast, so expensive to my mind.
Room - small by North American standards (but huge in comparison to some European hotel rooms I've stayed in!), but one of the larger small rooms (knew it was a small room on booking, but it was only for one night). The bathroom was cosy/cramped depending on your viewpoint - amazed that they got a bath with shower, a toilet and a sink in there.
The bed was comfortable and the room clean, with hard surface flooring (I prefer this to carpets).
Lobby/reception impersonal and staff cool and (semi) professional (no acknowledgement of guests waiting at Reception desk when staff on the 'phone - not just me).
Wouldn't stay again nor really recommend this to a friend. Nothing wrong, but nothing special either.
Tip : the undercover parking is cheaper and about 2 minutes walk from the hotel - pre pay at hotel to get a discount. The outside ground parking is more expensive (why? it is looks like a bomb site and has no security fence around it) but is opposite the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
BWplusEuropa, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear sdsw12,

We thank you for taking some time out of your schedule to write us a review. We try our best in offereing the best customer service for all our guests. We will use guest reviews such as yours to see where we may improuve our customer service and correct ourselves.

We hope that you understand that the parking lots in the downtown areas are independently owned and has no affiliations with the hotels in the same area. Even tho it is a 2 minutes walk back to the hotel, we usually suggest the interior parking for the best convenience, value and most importantly the safety for the guests belongings.

In hopes that you would give us a chance to better welcome you in the future, please accept our kindest regards.

Simon P.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend in Montreal for the first time. We chose Best Western as we have always stayed at one whenever we travel. We picked the BW Hotel Europa due to it's location.
First I must say that our stay at this hotel was enjoyable. The location was perfect. The room, was a nice size, very clean, hardwood floors, comfortable bed. The bathroom however was a little smaller than expected but it was clean (most important!). The staff at the front desk was courteous and friendly. If there was one negative, the windows faced an internal courtyard so there was absolutely no view except for the rooms on the opposite side. But since we spent such little time in the room anyway, this was easily overlooked.
But....and this is the public awareness part. On the 2nd night of our stay, our car window was smashed and someone went through the inside of our car. Fortunately since I do not keep anything valuable in the car, nothing was stolen. We found our car this way on the morning that we were leaving for our trip home. We had parked in a public parking lot across from the hotel. This parking lot charged $25 per night and it had a Best Western sign clearly displayed, which is why we chose to park there. Long nightmare short, we made it back to Toronto with a broken taped up window. However, please be aware, neither the hotel or Best Western corporate will step up to assist you in anyway. You are on your own to absorb all costs. Despite contacting the hotel and Best Western corporate, they distanced themselves from any accountability. We were told by a local that cars with out of town plates are targeted in this area. So please be aware of this if you chose this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 304 faces an internal courtyard/roof. No view.
1  Thank Conkersdvb

Dear Conkersdvb,

Thank you for taking some time out of your schedule to write us a review. We are sorry to learn about the incident for your car. It is with regret that we can not assume any responsability as the parking is independently owned by a different owner and has no affiliation with the hotel. However, we do feel that it is at least our duty to assist you in this matter. We would like to welcome you back with us on your next visit to Montreal. Please call us on your next reservation and we will work something.

In hopes of welcoming you back with us, please accept our kindest regards,

Simon P.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

You couldn't be better situated, this hotel is in the heart of downtown Montreal within walking distance to everything.

I made the reservation online for a queen room and added a special request for a room in a quiet part of the hotel away from the elevators. When I checked in, I was warmly greeted by the receptionist who observed my request and situated me on the fifth floor. It was quiet.

The hotel information stated the queen room had a small fridge and microwave. I had a small fridge but no microwave although, I expect if this is important, the staff would be willing to accommodate you.

My room was spotlessly clean, with hardwood flooring rather than carpet and it's nice to see hotels making the transition from carpets which can trap smells and make keeping them clean quite a challenge for housekeeping.

The bed was comfortable and clean. There was a large, actually very large flat-screen TV on the wall. The room was small and this has been noted by other travelers however, it wasn't an issue for me as I was traveling alone, but two people would be a squeeze. There is no additional seating area aside from the chair at the work desk. Bathroom clean, although the shower curtain looked like the previous occupant had let a cat climb up it. Air con, was efficient and not noisy. The photos on the Best Western Website are fairly accurate but of course, the angles do not give a good perspective of the room size.

It seems as though the hotel is kind of mid-renovation because although some parts of my room had obviously been updated, (floors, desk, furniture) there was some inconsistency as the wallpaper in the room looked dated and the bathroom tiles similarly seemed to have missed Mr. Renovator.

There is a restaurant in the building, it does not belong to the hotel, however, they do offer room service which may be appealing to many people. Breakfast may be eaten at Chez Cora also in the building. But, this Chez Cora seemed to be a bit off the day I visited, food greasy and not cooked to perfection. But, those things can easily change depending on who's cooking that day and in this area, there are many excellent places to eat breakfast.

There is no bar, so don't arrange to meet friends for cocktails, the lobby is OK, there is a small store in the lobby which sells ridiculously expensive items you could buy nearby for a fraction of the price.

There is an ice machine and soft drink dispenser. Staff consistently pleasant and accommodating.

Think of this as somewhere clean, affordable and central to stay rather than somewhere to lounge around in and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Decide which facilities would be important for you and compromise as necessary. Eg, space versus pr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BeachPebbleQuebec
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and i wanted to do a two day trip at Montreal, and we found this Best Western online. Its fairly easy to find considering its downtown. Once inside staff was very friendly, helpful. Place is very clean, rooms were impeccable. Simple but beautifully decorated. Huge tv, comfortable bed, pillow was a lil too puffy for me, but thats just personal taste :). Walking distance from almost everything you would like to see downtown. Canada is a bit on the expensive side, especially for food, so just be ready to spend 25-30 for lunch for two on something simple, although you find mcdonalds and subway as well. Lots of shopping, lots of american brands as well that you can recognize. Bring your walking comfortable shoes because there is a lot of walking in the city! There are bicycles you can rent as well.
Most people so far have spoken english with no problem. Very nice place to stay and explore the city.

1  Thank M P
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed for three nights and while I didn't make full use of the facilities, I did appreciate the comfortable bed. The fan/heater/ac was extremely noisy and difficult to adjust (either too hot or too cold), but the room was clean and had a large closet. The only other problem was the tub drain, which was mostly clogged and did not drain, even 20 minutes after a shower.

The Bell Centre, the Metro and Saint Catherine street shopping are all nearby and easily accessible. I never had a chance to have breakfast in the Cora's at ground level. For me, the price was right and since I did not have a car, a location close to the Metro was key for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Traveling_Dad48
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a great location. We stayed there for 4 nights and ended up walking to everything we wanted to do while in Montreal. Our room was very small but smartly set up so space was not really an issue. Parking was available across the street for $20 per day. When we arrived this was a little confusing as this parking lot is not operated by the hotel. As we arrived late in the evening and the attendant was already gone, we just left our car there and settled our bill in the morning. Clearer instructions regarding this from the hotel staff would have been helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013