“Too tight for comfort”

Ranked #60 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Nimpo Lake
“Too tight for comfort”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The miniscule size of the rooms make them only suitable for a single guest. With two of us we had to trip over our suitcases to get to the bathroom, which was also so small your knees would hit the bathtub while sitting on the lieu. Good location and good price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is in very good shape considering it's clearly in an older building. Renovations have taken place. The check in and check out processes were very easy and the hotel happily held our luggage for us a few hours after check-out. The hallways are a bit warren-like but well-kept, clean and well-lighted. Our room was also on the small size, but very clean and well decorated. I have no complaints about the hotel at all. There is a Chez Cora breakfast restaurant attached and be sure to get there early on a Sunday morning as it's very popular. Overall, a good location to stay in downtown Montreal.

The parking situation on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. There is a private open-air lot across the road but he quoted us $40 to park overnight, so we chose to look elsewhere. A block over and up we found an indoor lot with valet service for one-fifth the price. Perfect for us, since we had minimal luggage. If you were hauling a lot of bags it might not be so convenient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
rockhampton
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The check in and out was easy, the rooms are kind of small, so probably best suited to business travel, or at least the kind of travel where you don't need to hang out in your room. The location is great for accessing the Metro and shopping, it is as good as in the middle of the city. The breakfast was great good selection and reasonably priced.

Ottawa
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012 with my sister and neice. Room was large enough and clean. For the price of a hotel within walking distance to museums and other attractions we thought it was a good value. Pain was loading and unloading the car - there is no parking at the hotel (Lot right accross the street is $20/night) and the loading zone has only room for 2 cars so we found it a bit of a pain because we don't pack light. There is no breakfast included but there is a cora's attached to the hotel. Again for the price and location we thought that was reasonable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
Reviewed October 24, 2012

First off, I have to say that for me, this hotel had the most comfortable beds. I always have problems sleeping when I am on business trips, but at this hotel, I absolutely did not want to get out of bed. I had such a wonderful sleep every night. I do not like really soft beds and pillows. The bed and pillows in my room had just the right amount of firmness for me and the linens were very soft and a pleasure to sleep on.
Unfortunately my room was located directly across from the elevator and the linen supply closet so it was fairly noisy at times. However it did not bother me that much - I always travel with ear plugs so I can block out unwanted noise.

The location was perfect - I was steps away from fabulous restaurants, shopping and coffee houses (Stabucks, Second Cup and Timmy's). I was able to walk to everything I needed in mere minutes. The location is great for first time tourists to the city who don't know where things are and don't want to venture far from the hotel.
I am a little familiar with the city and was able to get around for four days without really using a map.

The room was a good size and had a small fridge. However it did not have a safe. This was a concern for me as I was travelling with two iPads and I didn't have a place to lock them up when I was away from the room.

The bathroom was extremely small. This was the one drawback of the room that I did not appreciate. The toilet was jammed in between the sink and tub and was not comfortable. I would have preferred a bit more space in the bathroom. There were ample towels and toiletries.

Quite a few people mentioned the fact that they liked the hardwood floors because ti felt cleaner than carpet. I walked around the room a bit in bare feet and the bottom of my feet got dirty, so I am not sure how often it was mopped.

The Chez Cora restaurant attached to the hotel has wonderful breakfasts. Try it - you will love it.

All in all, I had a great stay and would definitely go back next time I am in the city. The price for a downtown hotel can't be beat and it includes free in room wireless internet which is a big plus for me.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms right by the elevators. I had room 401 and it was very noisy.
Markham, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here during an official trip for 3 nights. On the 3rd day, I found that I was not allowed to access the room I stayed at. I rushed back from work at 5:00pm and my access card did not work. Went and asked the Receptionist (male, 40~50 yrs old) and he immediately started yelling at me, as if I worked for him. If he had asked me to pay for an extra night, I wud've very well paid. Instead, he shouted "What do you think? You can vacate the room at anytime? I lost customers because of you. I am not able to rent the room". So, what was I then? Not a customer? May be I was a brown customer and he liked the whiter folks more.
This is no way to deal with people and I would never ever stay at this hotel again.
The aircon in the room was terribly noisy. I felt as if there was a mini jet primed and ready for take off stationed next to me.

3 Thank BigB0101
fmeunier, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Montreal Downtown-Hotel Europa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

We deeply apologize for the regrettable experience you had at our hotel. We expect all our guests without exception to be treated in a pleasant, courteous manner and with respect.

We are also in the process to replace all the noisy air-conditioners by new ones to be fully ready for next summer.

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Grosse Pointe, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A delightful, convenient hotel in downtown Monteal. At $146 per night for a comfortable, good-sized room in Montreal with a queen-sized bed, it is a good deal. On Monday, the rate dropped to $129, saving us a few dollars. Boutique hotels on the waterfront in Old Monteal go for about $250 per night. Best Western Hotel Europa is about 1.5 miles up from the waterfront and Old Monteal in the upper edge of the new commercial district, so it is still a comfortable walk to see everything. Your first walk from the hotel down through the new business district and then through classic, gorgeous Old Monteal wiill be stunning. A metro station in three blocks upslope and connects you with a lot of Monteal. Service was excellent and the room was somewhat upscale: sufficiently sized, the usual and useless five pillows per bed and a couple comfortable, upholstered chairs to relax in. It had a small refrigerator, a must for Monteal where left-over, gourmet food is to be savored if you happen to wake up in the night! Otherwise it was a pretty average hotel room. The bathroom was large and comfortable, but had neither an exhaust fan nor any heat lights in the ceiling, probably a result of being a retrofit in an old building. There are two restaurants adjacent to the ground floor: Chez Cora for breakfast and lunch and another for lunch and dinner. Cora's was excellent and served a lot of delicious crepe dishes with tons of fesh fruit and vegetables. The other, more formal dining place was okay, but lacked the charm and value of Chez Cora. There are lots of excellent restaurants within two blocks of this location if you want to dine out in style and the sky is the limit down in Old Monteal.

This Best Western location is a good place from which to see Montreal and very comfortable. Do not expect to have people toting your luggage to your room or mints under your pillow. You will not find that in this price range in Monteal. A good deal with all the comfort most people need.

Room Tip: Do not worry about a "good room." They are all essentially the same and there is no good...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple