“Good Hotel, but BEWARE of night staff = extortion scheme.”
Review of La Tour Belvedere

La Tour Belvedere
Ranked #86 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed her with one of my friends a week ago. While returning back to the hotel at midnight, i had invited two of my other friends to crash at my hotel room as they were to drunk to drive. Upon seeing us enter the hotel, the night staff without questioning, told me that i had to pay $80 for each extra guest. so they wanted $160 for my two friends. I paid far less to book the hotel, so this made no sense at all. After i reluctantly agreed to pay they told me the machine was not working and I had to pay cash. This to my smelled even more fishy, so I gave them $20 CASH and walked away. The next morning, the $20 i paid the hotel night staff did not show in my Hotel Receipt. If you are not looking to get extorted on your trip, then don't stay here. otherwise the hotel is good value.

Room Tip: Ask for the hardwood floor rooms.not the carpet room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Asheetha
Public relation M, Assistant General Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to comment about our establishment. I would like to inform you that when you signed the registration card of our hotel, you agree to respect our procedures. Our employees are trained in the same manner and our procedure clearly states on all websites and on our registration card that our rooms can accommodate 2 adults per room. If you wish to invite guests to your room, which you are responsible for, there is an extra charge of $75.00 per extra adults plus applicable taxes. That being said, i you would like to get in touch with me in regards of the $20 that you claim was given to the front desk staff and does not appear on your bill, we have cameras and we can review together. So please take the time to get in touch with me so we can solve this issue.

Gabriel M.
514-935-9052 ext.7369
Gabriel@tourbelvedere.com

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family & I have been staying at "La Tour Belvedere" during each of trips to Montreal for over TEN years now, which is about 14-16 times, 4-7 day stays each time. During our most recent 5-night stay in August, in a one-bedroom suite with kitchen, I was surprised to learn that we were provided with coffee ONLY on our very first night. When (on our 2nd night), I asked for some coffee for that day, I was told by the front-desk staff that "It is the management's policy to provide coffee to guests ONLY on their first night.". Umm, WHAT? What kind of absurd 'policy' is that? I have stayed at some pretty cheap motels as well, and guess what? Even THEY provide coffee every day. It's a pretty standard thing, no matter where you stay... But apparently NOT at "La Tour Belvedere", while even though you are paying them just as much for nights #2, 3, 4, & 5, they only give a damn about you on the FIRST night. This 'policy' really is quite pathetic, and shows how little they care about you as a guest, doesn't it? Needless to say, this hotel's management can KEEP the few cents they saved by not giving us coffee (while we were still paying THEM $160/night to stay in their poorly maintained run down hotel), we will NOT be staying at this hotel ANYMORE. Good job, management, you've saved a few cents, and lost thousands of dollars in revenue. You definitely know what you're doing!! Besides, this hotel insulting us like that has just made us realize that there are far BETTER hotels to be found in Montreal, for pretty much the same amount of money. We'll just stay with them from now on instead, and you should too! Thanks for nothing, Tour Belvedere - After more than ten years of us staying with you, you won't be making any more money off of us! A hotel that actually values our business will!! Au revoir!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ralph P
Public relation M, Assistant General Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear valued guest,

We would like to extend our apologies for the challenges that you experienced during your stay with us. Please rest assure that we take those comments very seriously and we will do all we can to better ourselves for possible future stays. If you would like to discuss this experience further, please make sure to contact us directly at the hotel and it will be our pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to visit Montreal for the long weekend and stayed at La Tour Belvedere. They're apparently renovating their suites and unfortunately, we didn't get one of the renovated suites. (Probably because we were using vouchers.)
The concierge we dealt with was super informative and helpful. He gave us maps and marked where the hotel was so we wouldn't get lost. He was quick witht he check in and made sure we had everything we needed.
The rooms weren't bad, considering we didn't get one of the newer ones. It was livable and it wasn't like we were going to spending all of our time in our room. I just had a little bit of an issue on our last morning. i was boiling water for tea and the water came out yellow. I don't know why. All the other mornings, it was fine.
The A/C window units are quite loud. Luckily, it was cool at night so we didn't need to turn them on. And our room faced north so it was quiet. There wasn't much of a view as there was another hotel right in our view. But if you look to the east or west, you can see the Mont Royal.
We used the pool one of the nights because it was raining. The pool was tiny but it wasn't bad. It was on the top floor and so it provided a great view of the city.
Even though it was in the west end of Montreal, everything was still walkable. If you don't like walking, there's a metro really close to the hotel. I enjoyed the area it was in. It was on a quiet street. away from the hustle and bustle. Just a block away was this huge AMC theatre complex that also had tons of things to do.
I'd go back there the next time I go to Montreal.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if you can get one.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lilcinnamongirl
Public relation M, Public Relations Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staff were polite, helpful & accommodating on check-in & check-out. Trolleys are available for luggage - you WILL need them as only 6 spaces are available on-site and are booked on a 'first come, first served' basis (i.e. don't count on getting a park & there is no pre-booking) so park out front with hazard lights on and unload! We used the underground public car parking around the corner, turn Left onto rue Lambert-Closse - it was inconvenient, but much cheaper and much more secure. Our room, 2001, was perfect for our needs. In town for CANMas, all we required was somewhere to eat, sleep, prepare & store food; our room ticked all the boxes. The room and furnishings were old and could do with updating but it was entirely functional. Beds weren't the best we've slept on but okay for a good night's sleep. We had a beautiful breeze come in through the windows and kept them open at night instead of running the A/C.
2 mins to Attwater Metro station, 5-7 mins to Supermarche for groceries @1420 rue de Fort, 20-30 mins to Parc du Mont-Royal (depending on how fast you walk). Try amazing Turkish food @ Antep Kabab,1626 Boulevard de Maisonneuvue W - everything is made fresh to order - chicken sandwich highly recommended. Avoid the horrible coffee chains and try good coffee @ Cafe Myriade, 1432 rue Mackay. Walking distance to other restaurants and bars if you want to keep the kitchen clean!

Room Tip: Ask for renovated or high floor rooms. 20th floor was extremely quiet, rooms at back of building hav...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear valued guest,

We wanted to thank you for taking the time to write those comments. Please rest assure that we take all comments very seriously and we will do all we can to better ourselves for possible future stays. If you would like to discuss this experience further, please make sure to contact us directly at the hotel and it will be our pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

It was our first trip to Montreal and it was pretty much ruined by an awfull hotel experience.
It started with the fact that hotel claims on site parking for guest - forget about it, they have something like 2 places available .
The room itself was drab, STINKY (the stink of high-impact disinfectants )- when we asked for another room, we were declined BUT room service brought an industrial blower and suggested to ventilate the room for an hour( which didn't help of course)
Overall quality of a cheap motel - located in the less attractive part of downtown , drunk people everywhere you go - it was disgusting.
If you really want to enjoy your vacation - NEVER BOOK THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Uzbola
Public relation M, Guest Relations Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was more then surprised to read this comment of yours... I am a little worried that you were not helped at all during your stay with those issues as we actually have a total of 32 spots available to our clients, on a first come first served basis. If at the time of check-in you were not able to purchase a parking space, I apologize and I hope that you were offered a different parking lot, that is not ours but just around the corner, that guest can use if they wish (paying parking as well). Also, I would like to apologize if the deodorant used in the room is to strong for your taste, we try and spay as little as possible to try and make sure it does not get overpowering. If you would be so kind to contact me directly in regards to those complaints, I could, after finding out which room you were in, investigate.

Here is my contact information, make sure to get in touch with me so we can better ourselves for future guests.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Spent the last two nights of our Canadian holiday here.At first glance the surrounding area was not great but the desk staff were friendly,helpful and bilingual and our room(201) was a good sized suite with flat screen tv,kitchen and everything we needed including an electric kettle,fridge,cooker,plates and cutlery etc.Bed was comfortable,shower/bath fine,airco worked(Montreal can be quite humid in summer) so we experienced a pleasant stay.Local quality restaurants are certainly not cheap and the ever present extra taxes are a pain.The car parking was 20 dollars for 24 hours.Atwater metro is close by so that was handy for getting around the city.There was a small balcony overlooking a parking lot rather than a sparkling stream but at least we weren't hermetically sealed in like some other places in North America....'for our own safety' of course.God forbid we should ever want to open a window.Also got good directions to Trudeau airport from front desk before we left so no complaints from us two Europeans and thanks Canada for our two city visit(Montreal and Quebec) and their various attractions.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Public relation M, Public Relations Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Good afternoon

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice review on our hotel. We would be glad to welcome you again for your future stays in Montreal.

Best regards

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I couldn't wait to get home from my trip to write this review. This hotel is a dump! It doesn't even deserve to be called a hotel, more like motel. When we approached the building I was already concerned. It looked like a run down apartment building. Upon entering, the lobby was decent so I waited to see what the room looked like. Swiped the keycard and walked into what I can only describe as a hookers hangout. I sent my roommate down to complain that there was no way we were sleeping in that room. She came back up and said, "we've been upgraded!"

All I could think was WTH is an upgrade in this joint. We made our way down to the 2nd floor and proceeded to enter a room that was slightly renovated. The living/sleeping area was decent, but the kitchen and bathroom were still dreadful. I felt like I was going to need a tetanus sheet after staying in this place.

Then, as if the room wasn't bad enough, the iron was broken and when I asked for a replacement they brought another broken iron. The coffee packet wasn't replaced when they cleaned the room and when I called down to request a packet they said, "we only provide the first packet as a courtesy." Seriously?!?

And then of course because these are "apartment suites" you had lots of big groups and families staying at the place so every morning at 7am I was awakened to the smell of bacon cooking. Some of you may not see the problem with that but it was extremely nauseating. Oh, and the view from our room was of a parking lot.

The ONLY good thing about this dreadful place is that it was conveniently located. We were about a block and a half from the metro and a few blocks from downtown retail and restaurants. That's about all I can say that's positive.

I would not recommend this place even to my enemy.

Room Tip: If you're going to take a chance on this place, I suggest checking to see if the rooms have been...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Public relation M, Public Relations Manager at La Tour Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear valued guest,

we would like to extend our apologies for the challenges that you experienced during your stay with us. We would like to let you know that we are presently working on renovating some of the products that we have. Please rest assure that we take those comments very seriously and we will do all we can to better ourselves for possible future stays. If you would like to discuss this experience further, please make sure to contact us directly at the hotel and it will be our pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,