“At Home in the Big City” 5 of 5 stars

Chateau de l'Argoat
Ranked #32 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newark, Delaware
“At Home in the Big City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

A small B&B atmosphere - the Chateau de L'Argoat provides reasonable comfortable downtown accommodations in Montreal. It is one block from the Metro, which made getting to where we wanted to go simple. The continental breakfast made my husband a fan of "les petits croissants" and I loved the extended breakfast hours until noon. The concierges were friendly and courteous and quite helpful in all things. This is not a hotel for one seeking room service, or needing an elevator to upper floors. However, even though we were on the third floor, and climbed the elegant staircase every night, we plan to make the Chateau our home every time we come to Montreal.

2 Thank Uggly_Puppett_Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just loved this place. We had stayed here during the 2012 Christmas holidays and, feel that this is a wonderful hotel to stay. The location, the rooms, the staff.......everything about this hotel is PERFECT. The metro is across the street and is the cheapest way to see Montreal. The rooms are clean and beautiful and, most importantly quiet. We stayed in the room facing the street and could not hear any traffic.There is coffee/tea available all day. The breakfast is simple but filling. My daughter loved their Chocolate croissants and Hot Chocolate. The dining area is small and is designed to feel like a french cafe..........an absolute delight. And best of all, the staff is extremely cordial and friendly. They made us feel welcomed and were very hospitable. The parking is free (Just 1 complaint.....the hotel should invest in a snow blower......ha ha ha ha ha. We got stuck in the snow storm) and there is free wi-fi in the rooms.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and, is surely going to be where I'll stay whenever I visit Montreal next. However, for all those that expect a hotel to have stuff like swimming pool, gym etc, this is not for you. 603Tracy has described this place as "Home away from home", I could not have described it any better.

Room Tip: Ask for room #15 if you are 2 people travelling. The room is absolutely beautiful and has an old wor...
1 Thank Torontonian14
Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Chateau de l'Argoat in December 2012, and it was a nice experience in the midst of nasty, slushy weather.
The hotel is very conveniently located; my wife and I love walking, and we found all the main areas of Montreal accessible by foot. Notre Dame Basilica was only about 25 minutes away for us, for reference. We drove up from Toronto, and it was very nice and rare to find a hotel in a good location with parking. FREE parking. The lot is in the back, out of the way and in no danger of the being covered up with snow, unlike the majority of cars we saw parked on the street in Montreal. The parking lot is in the back of the hotel, though, and a bit hard to find; it's better to be approaching the hotel driving eastward. After passing the hotel, there will be a small side street. Assuming you are headed east, turn onto that road, then immediately turn right on the first little side-street. It's a steep road, so if there is ice, be very careful. Also, GPS users might not be taken to the right place if you just follow the unit's directions; mine messed up the location.
The room was large, and though a bit outdated, very comfortable. The carpet probably needs to be replaced, though. The bathroom was great; we stayed in a Queen room, and the tub was very large, and perfect for an evening soak after a long day of being wet outside. It's one of the best bathtubs I've found in a hotel aside from one with an actual Jacuzzi or whatnot. The soaps the hotel provided were actually soap, and high-quality; my wife and I loved the lavender-scented one.
The staff were very friendly; they greeted us every time we entered the hotel and came down for breakfast.
The morning breakfast was great; Montreal bagels and other tasty breads. The coffee was so-so, but not bad compared to most places that just serve instant or Folgers. I requested two bagels every morning and they were perfectly toasted. Other than that, nothing special, but it's a free continental breakfast; what more do you need?
Very importantly, the hotel was very quiet. It's by a major road, but we couldn't hear anything, and I slept very well all three nights. I'm a light, sensitive sleeper, so this is very important for me. I don't know how the rooms next to the road would have been, but if you are a light sleeper request a room facing the parking lot.
The Internet was free and reasonably fast. No complaints there.
All in all, a great place to stay in Montreal, and when we return, we will most likely stay at the Chateau again. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are a sensitive or light sleeper, request a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank honjooshi
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

The location was great, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They came out and showed us where we could lock our bikes inside, before we even thought to ask. And free parking? Yes, please! Sure the lot is tiny, but it does the job.

I felt it was a good value for the price, and would absolutely stay there again next time I'm in Montreal.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 26 - specially advertised for being quiet and having the memory foam mattress. It...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 603Tracy
brooklyn, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel off and on for 20 plus years and still like it. As prices for hotels everywhere have gone up, and the US dollar has declined, I've found I can no longer afford this hotel's nicest rooms, but they are all comfortable. One caution - we stayed at the top floor in the room furthest from the stairs, and the room was adorable BUT I found the bed too soft. It was really not a good night's sleep for me as I like firm beds. I decided not to say anything becuase the rest of the room was great. I didn't realize until I was checking out and said something, that this is the one room with a special bed, maybe a memory foam bed? And they find some of their guests LOVE this bed and specially request it. And the room is very quiet. So just know about this one room that it's good for some people and not as good for others.

I love what a lot of other people love: free internet in the sitting room on the first floor (great for researching Montreal attractions), the continental breakfast is perfect and the little breakfast room is adorable, the little free parking lot, the use of a guest fridge, all add up to a really civilized hotel experience, plus the location is great, a walk from downtown but also near so many things and in a very French area of the city. I really don't look elsewhere for stays in Montreal.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are great, top floor furthest from the stairs (east end of hotel) has lovely room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jeanmarine
El Portal, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were 2 couples sharing a 2 bedroom suite and one child -who didn't show up on the reservation - arriving at 830pm. They handled the extra person with aplomb and made up the fold out couch without a second thought. The suite had one big room and one smallish room with a shower/jacuzzi room and a separate toilet room in between the bedrooms. Beds were comfortable and everything worked. Very nice breakfast brought to our table in the dinning room.
Convenient free parking. We would go back.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I will add my voice to the chorus of rave reviews!
Perhaps more accurately described as a large B&B, or a small independent hotel, the de l'Argoat is a rare find - great location, friendly staff, good amenities, and excellent price.
Location: basically on the edge of downtown, so a little quiet which is nice, but close to all you need. Rue St Denis with plenty of restaurants, bars etc is just two blocks away. Berri-UQAM, a central Metro terminal plus the terminus of the Airport Express Bus, is also only two blocks walk. And Sherbrooke Metro station is right across the road. So getting around couldn't be easier ($16 for a three day STM pass allows you to use the Metro and buses, including to and from the airport).
Staff: the guys are all charming and oh-so-French, and couldn't have been more helpful or friendly to this Anglophone.
Amenities: free wifi in rooms, breakfast is included (and delicious!)
Rooms: can only speak for room 10, but it is first floor so one flight of stairs only, good size room with a queen bed, small but adequate e suite, excellent heating, and a nice view out over the street but still relatively quiet.
Price: seriously, I couldn't find anything still within the range of the Montreal Metro that was comparable in quality and within the same price range ($85 per night plus taxes).

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for the first floor if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo