“Expensive greasy food with approximate service”
Review of Burgundy Lion

Burgundy Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
Burgundy Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #359 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Irish, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Transit: Burgundy Lion is located just around the corner from Lionel-Groulx metro station which serves both the orange and Green Metro Lines.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Yes, the place is cool. Yes, it represents fairly well the neighborhood with trendy clients and funky waiters, moving equally from French to English.

But the food is unequal. Some meals are OK, shall you stick to the poutine and fish and chips. But the minute you try to go a bit healthier, the choices are rather limited. And for some unknown reason, some plates are double the size you need while others are half...

Add to this a service that is generally confused, and very high price for what you get (calculate approximately 20 dollars for each main plate, not counting starters nor drinks). So if you are really crazy about pub food and wish to get an upgrade, ca va. But for an occasional pub snack, there is way cheaper alternatives in town offering a better and sharper cuisine.

1  Thank PourJF

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had brunch. A bit slow in coming, but worth the wait.

This place is a real British pub with a very extensive list of scotches.

We were there on St. George's Day (packed, which explained the wait. Never the less lots of fun, good food, good value.

Doug

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went to a nearby restaurant and saw the Burgundy Lion. I wanted to go there for a long time....so we went for a drink after our meal at the other restaurant.

It was a Sunday night, it was packed, the bar at the street level was full so we headed to the bar on the first floor. The place looks great, it's got this pub feeling to it.

I had a draft beer and my girlfriend had a martini.... it was one of the best martini she ever had...and we had a few before !

BUT it was expensive... 23$ plus tip for a draft beer and a martini...

We saw many plates pass by and they all looked delicious.

They have an inner courtyard with patio heaters for comfort, nice decor.....and I loved the staff's outfit ( black pants and t-shirt with red suspenders ).

Will certainly go back for a meal this time.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am an habitue of this pub. For several years I have gone there at least twice a week. When I come in for happy hour I am usually served by one of three young women who have all been there for a long time and are very good at their job, fast cheerful and accurate with the bills. They are also very pretty, courteous and civilised.I know that I write my suicide note by mentioning pretty but I am not standing for public office. I don't know who is being snotty there but it isn't them.

This is a pub and it sells pub food. Across the street they sell better food and charge for it.I know of no better pub food in Montreal. I eat minor stuff at the bar, stuffed Yorkshire pudding, Scotch eggs, what the Brits call crisps and we call chips. There are healthy alternatives such as chicken salad etc. but the majority of the dishes could be served with a defibrulator a cote. To an exiled Brit like myself it is manna from heaven, I try not to eat it because I grow vast but it is a struggle.

The food is jn general far better than an English pub could provide, and the lack of juke box ,videogames and the aggresive drunks and thugs that polute the English pub landscape is most welcome. If you like soccer or rugby it is often on the TV when I go.

I don't stay much past 6.30, because it fills up and gets too noisy for me to hear, particularly if the music is playing. (I dislike any music in pubs for that reason). A pub is a place for talk It is right next to the Corona theatre. The slowness that some complain of is probably a function of too many people trying to get served at once.

There is a quiz night on Monday at 8.30. Phone and book or you won't get in. The only way this place could be improved is by being less popular and less crowded. I wish too that they had a cheaper house wine that I could substitute for the beer. Above the courtyard there stands a classic Brit prop , the old red public telephone box. To make it truly authentic someone should pee in it and put flyers for harlots as in London of a few years ago. It's only a reproduction, I bet you can't say why.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are in the area or going to the Corona Theater, you can have a good meal at this Pub.
The food is honest - they offer a nice variety on the menu and the service was courteous and relatively quick. The Pub was full a Saturday night at 17h15 ! We waited less than 10 minutes and we were seated.
The food is good - we had the angus burger and the braised lamb.
The ambiance is typically one of an British Pub - a bit crowded and I can see the place getting loud.
I would recommend this Pub and I will certainly be back.