“Lot's of noise”

Le Square - Restaurant Francais
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Square - Restaurant Francais is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 5,765 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Montreal, Canada
“Lot's of noise”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Being new to this area and looking for a BYO restaurant to celebrate my husband's birthday, I found Le Square using a local restaurant review service. Initially the service was a bit slow but in the end the timing was good. I ordered the salmon requesting no rice (I have a food allergy which I did not mention) and it seemed clear to me that the waiter made note of my request. When my plate arrived, there was rice and they offered me french fries. When I pointed out the error, I received apologies and a completely new plate. The food was very good, my salmon cooked just the way I like (medium rare).

My only negative about the restaurant is that it was very noisy. We were seated close to a table of 10 which did not help so I am not sure if the restaurant is always noisy or just this particular evening and our table location.

• Visited February 2013

The Netherlands
“Good choice”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had à very good diner in this nice restaurant. Many locals. Good choice in fish, meat or vegetarian food. Good and friendly service. Bring you own wine. (BYOB).

• Visited October 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Not great for groups”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Avoid if you are a group- you are restricted to two different menu options (which both have a choice of 3 different "plats" and they do not accommodate any change in the menu- at all! You are obliged to take a three course meal and cannot take something that is not on the group menu. I asked for the menu before knowing this and, after i had looked it over, was told that i couldnt order anything on it. I obviously thought the server was joking.... he wasnt. The food was highly overpriced for its mediocre quality- i am guessing this is because of the restaurants' good location. I got salmon and rice which both seemed like they had come out of the freezer. The escargots were good though.

• Visited October 2012
Rutland, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A taste of France”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

A wonderful place reminiscent of a French bistro. Excellent foie gras (homemade) as well as other delights. Be sure you pick up a nice bottle of wine to bring along, as it is byow. Do not expect a quick meal, as in France, dining is a social event to be savoured and enjoyed.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Debbie H
Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding French Bistro in Montreal”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

An excellent French restaurant with outdoor seating on a pedestrian street. BYOB. They have a very nice menu, which is reasonably priced. They also have a special 4 course meal that for $39.90 which includes soup of the day or gazpacho, any of their appetizers, any of their main meals, and any of their desserts; note, that a few of these have a surcharge (such as filet with foie gras). Some highlights from their menu: Escargots, gravlax, caprese salad, avocado mousse; duck breast with cherry sauce, filet with foie gras, tuna tartare; profiteroles, half-cooked chocolate cake, pineapple carpaccio with sorbet. They also have nice prix fixe at $29.90 with a choice of appetizers, main meals and desserts. Service from Gilles was very friendly and attentive. There was also a singer/guitarist just outside the restaurant which everyone enjoyed! We will definitely go back when we travel to Montreal!!

• Visited July 2012