“Still impressive and awesome....”
Review of Kazu

Kazu
Ranked #127 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stopped in last evening for a quick single dinner just after evening opening and still waitied 20 minutes for a bar seat. The only down side of the outing though Ordered the pickled vegetables and the salmon belly, both exquisite and quite flavorful. Along with a small draft beer, total was $42 all in. The place is still humming, kitchen staff behind the counter always in motion and well managed workstations. Will continue to come back....

Reviewed November 25, 2013

As people have mentioned, the restaurant is a hole in the wall, and the size of a closet. I don't particularly find that charming but it goes along with the bohemian feel of the place. We waited in line for 30-45 minutes before we crammed in the corner. Not great with elderly, children or if you are claustrophobic (I had all 3 with me). That's the down side.

There are MANY upsides. The food is spectacular.
Pork cheeks with tortilla - heavenly but a bit sloppy to eat
Shrimp burger - delicious. The mayo is fantastic
Chirashi-zushi - raw tuna/salmon on rice was very tasty and beautiful presentation
Beef Kalbi plate - reminded me of Korean, but was fall off the bone tender beef ribs
Tuna belly - was HUGE and loaded with meat, very tasty. Almost the texture of pork, and the sauce was nice.

This is not your usual sushi place. I would definitely come here again to eat the "other" Japanese cuisine.

Great food. But they need to relocate to a bigger, better locale. The waiting and postage stamp restaurant was charming for the first 10 minutes.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This place is the best Japanese Restau I have ever eaten at. My husband and I no longer live in Montreal and I'm dying to go back this winter. It’s a long haul from England though.
You need to make sure they are open, since they close during xmas.
The shrimp burger is out of this world, the Chicken BBQ tortilla salad... to die for. It's like a big Party in your mouth. Your palette thanks you for eating such delicious food.
If you sit by the kitchen bar, you get to see how they make the food. You may even get lucky enough to try and mix and match what they concoct at home!
A must go to Restaurant, and the queue is worth the wait. I promise.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

A chef friend recommended Kazu and I'm grateful, because I never would have considered it on my own. It looks like any other hole-in-the-wall Asian restaurant in Montreal. We waited about 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon and then squeezed four of us into a table for two next to the door. It was crowded mayhem and I was super skeptical until the food arrived. Delicious, flavorful ramen, succulent tuna-salmon rice bowl, really great unusual eggplant starter. Service was absolutely charming, friendly and efficient. Delicious homemade green tea ice cream for dessert. If I were a tourist, I wouldn't make this a top food destination, but for a local or frequent visitor, Kazu is a tiny and tasty place for top-notch Japanese cuisine with zero pretense.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A very small restaurant with long lineups to get in. Once you manage you will find yourself in a very crowded and not particularly clean space, where you are bound to sit squeezed near your neighbour or bumped by passing waiters.

I was unimpressed by the cleanliness of the toilet and counter but the service was efficient and pleasant.

We arrived almost 2 hr after the noon opening and the miso soup was finished... Really?!?

Salmon and tuna bowl was good, vegetable and tofu salad bowl excellent, wasabi tofu salad superb, ramen with pork great. Ultimately the food is very good but I am not sure worth the hype and the wait