“One of the best, most unique meals I've had!”
Review of Kazu

Kazu
Ranked #112 of 5,712 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Montreal, Canada
“One of the best, most unique meals I've had!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

It's worth the line-up.

After convincing some of the more skittish friends in our group of six of this, we waited out the 45-minutes in the tiny space between the two doors. When we were finally seated for lunch, we found ourselves crowded around a small round table by the window.

So long as you aren't claustrophobic, though, the food will make anything else worth it. I had the shrimp burger, which was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Every component was carefully executed, from the patty itself to the warm bun to the Japanese-inspired sauce to the fried dough pieces sprinkled over the plate.

Most of the rest of the group had ramen, which they said was good, but not the best they'd had (bear in mind they've all been to China and had the "real stuff" there, though...)

A definite "yes."

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“Yes!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Dont be turned off by the small room and the crowd - the service is quick and the food is Amazing. I never imagined a shrimp burger and I am glad I saw this listed in a previous review. It was delicious. Cash only so bring your wallet

Visited May 2013
Montreal
“Such a fabulous little gem”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We are lining up outside the restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and a gentleman stops, looks at me and says "What's so good about this place, that people are always lining up?" I answer as concisely as I can, "It's the quality, freshness and the price". Who knows? maybe he'll read this one day, because I had much more to say.
First of all when you walk in, it is like you have actually been transported to Japan. The atmosphere is not forced, it is just naturally imbued with it's own culture. Not many entrepreneurs can manage this simplicity. The waitresses - busy, the cooks - busy, but all smiling and attentive to the clientele. The menus, simple, handwritten and endearing. I feel such warmth and belonging, as sit at the counter (these are the best seats in the house if you ask me.) I order the salmon and tuna bowl. I wont even bother trying to describe the beauty of this dish - just go and eat it; fresh, tasty, crunchy. Tears of blissful joy fill my eyes just imagining it at this moment.

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's good. I loved it!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food is very good. It's so packed that servers won't take attention to you. Of course it's very loud! I love their burger in Japanese style. Definitely come back when I'm not busy and not too hungry since I have to wait for the line up :-)

• Visited August 2012
Norfolk, Massachusetts
“Really Cramped - Okay food: Interesting Variety to Choose From”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After the wait (20 minutes plus), the place was packed - too many tables and chairs for a place so small. I would hate to be in the place if in an emergency you needed to get out! As other's had said - once you do get seated the service is quick (almost too quick); trying to figure out the menu and the postings of specials is almost overwhelming and the wait staff tries to get you to order quickly so they can turn over the table..... Sake good. Grilled octopus arm good but over priced, salmon belly excellent, pork cheek pate nicely done, chopped seafood bowl was nicely seasoned, chicken and rice bibimbap okay but ordinary.

• Visited May 2013