“There are a few places I dream of -- this will be amongst them”
Review of Kazu

Kazu
Ranked #116 of 5,765 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Toronto
“There are a few places I dream of -- this will be amongst them”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had heard about this from my son who lives in Montreal. I had thought, if I arrive before they open, the legendary line-up won't be there -- and I was wrong. At 11:45 for a noon opening, the lineup outside was a good 30 people long, so I was in the second crew to eat. I was only one, so I managed to get a seat at the counter pretty quickly, and once I ordered, the food came fast - they want and need to turn those tables quickly!

The menu is extensive, and supplemented by postings on the wall with other Japanese delights, ranging from fried chicken skin (which I've had before, and is quite delicious -- think of it as KFC just without the meat....), to less challenging fare. I had the tuna and salmon sashimi salad, which continued to surprise with flavours and textures, and some great fresh fish.

I'd highly recommend this place.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Danbury, Connecticut
“Great Food, INCREDIBLY cramped”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We read some great reviews on here for this place and decided to check it out. We absolutely loved our food. Very unique dishes that aren't served in the "Asian Fusion" restaurants in the NY/CT area. This seemed to be very authentic Japanese food. Incredibly tasty.

However you should go in with heads up on what you should be expecting as far atmosphere and the logistics of the restaurant. We went on a Friday night and had to wait about 45 minutes for a table. Not bad for a Friday night at a good restaurant, right? Well it is bad when you have to wait OUTSIDE in MONTREAL in the WINTER. This place is tiny tiny tiny. There is absolutely no where to wait inside. Then once you make it to the front of the line they take you to either a table or to sit at the bar. You don't get to choose. I had to sit next to my girlfriend and the bar and would have much preferred a table. I was literally rubbing elbows with the stranger next to me the entire meal.

The staff are very friendly, but extremely informal. Our server literally answered the phone in the middle of taking our order. They will start conversations with other employees in the middle of your conversation. Again, they are very friendly and definitely not being rude on purpose, they just have the whole "running around like a chicken without a head" vibe to them.

Overall this was a great experience. The cramped, crazy atmosphere wasn't my favorite, but I personally wouldn't say it was terrible either. It made for a memorable experience. I feel like years down the road my girlfriend and I will be saying "hey remember that cramped Japanese place with the great food?"

There is a sign out front saying they will be closed for renovations for a few days, maybe they are adding some more space? They could definitely use it!

This place is great to check out - you just have to go with the correct expectations.

Don't expect: A relaxing, quiet environment with formal service.

Do expect: GREAT food, and a tiny restaurant with a unique experience

• Visited March 2013
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Yes you will probably have to wait in line, yes, it's tiny and you will probably be super cramped eating but it's beyond worth it. The staff is lovely. If you can, get a seat at the bar, purse hooks, much roomier then the tables. Plus the chefs are hilarious and you can see all the food. Tuna and salmon bowl is beyond, fresh fish, delicious dressing, rice, salad, crunchy noodles. I dream about this. Shrimp burger is delicious, chicken tacos sooooooo good. Pork neck sounds sketch but it's like huge ribs! Everything is so good. Must go to in Montreal!

Visited March 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Great japanese food”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Love this place, its not fancy, more like a student joint but food is great. The place is crowded so be ready to wait a bit before you can actually sit down and enjoy your meal. Its like a little trip to Tokyo :) Itadakimasu!

• Visited February 2013
Montreal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“久しぶりですね! Like flying back to Japan”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Authentic Japanese comfort food describes this place best. My friends and I celebrated my birthday here - we waited an hour and a half in line in the cold but was well worth the wait. The okonomiyaki, donburi, and hot sake really brought us back to life. A little pricey, but great atmosphere. Great for an after-work get-together.

• Visited November 2012