“More Than Just a Meal”
Review of Bistro Duo.D - CLOSED

Bistro Duo.D
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Description: Authentique bistro de quartier. Ambiance conviviale. Des produits vrais et fais maison. Votre meilleur ami epicurien et sa femme vous recoivent chez eux pour une bonne bouffe.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A welcome escape from a snowstorm, Duo D provided excellent ambience and food for an evening of conversation.

Service was excellent; food was cooked to perfection. My companion had the rack of lamb which was so tender as to melt in your mouth; I had the cod with just a hint of curry. Both entrees were sizeable portions. Dessert was a light yet delicately flavourful creme brulee. Delicious!

Most appreciated was the ample spacing between tables - good for those who prefer a more private setting.

The Duo D husband-wife hosts provided a warm and personal service. Timing was perfect for discreet water refill and meal delivery. When having to ask for something, it felt comfortable to do so and the response was quick and with a smile.

My dinner companion has been a regular customer; this was my first time and sure to return. Duo D deserves high recommendation and, as a result, it is being 'discovered' daily which makes reservations a must.

2  Thank Ms_Mtl

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We happened upon Bistro Duo D this week when in Montreal for a concert. Given the popularity of the restaurant on Tripadvisor, and the lovely menu options we spotted on the website, we decided to take a chance on it. We were not disappointed! The service was second-to-none, with the husband and wife team making us feel like we had been invited into their home. We let Catherine know when we arrived that we had concert tickets, and they had us fed and out the door on time, without rushing us or compromising on quality of food or service. The food was phenomenal!! I can't wait to return to Montreal to go back again. Bravo!

1  Thank JLundrigan
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been a regular customer of DuoD since it opened a few years back and I have kept coming back because of the excellent food prepared by Philippe, the very friendly welcome and service by Catherine and the nice and relaxing setting with ample room between the tables. During one of my visit here a few months back, Catherine warned me that it would be better to book ahead of time as their place was becoming very popular but I did not realize until very recently that one of the reasons was that they were ranked high on trip advisor. One of the unique aspect of DuoD is that it is run by a husband/wife team and to see how they manage to serve 25 to 35 customers every night without rush is a show by itself. Catherine still takes the time to speak with each customer while Philippe prepares the food without any of the drama we see in many TV series. Of course, you should not expect to have a three courses meal in less than 90 minutes but on the other hand, why would you want to rush such a nice dining experience. The menu itself is short with 5 to 6 appetizers, 5 to 6 main courses and a few deserts with some items being permanent and some rotating depending on the season. Keeping the menu short and fairly stable is a good way to maintain freshness and quality but it is a little bit of a problem for regulars like me who would like a little bit more variety but as I said, it does not stop me from coming back.

1  Thank Paul603
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This bistro makes you feel like you have been transported to a quaint bistro in France. What a gem! It is situated on an up and coming part of Notre Dame street in Griffintown. Very hip. The husband and wife team make you feel like long-time friends! Such personalized service in a fine-dining restaurant is hard to come by in Montreal and it made quite the impression. Prices are reasonable for the quality. Reserve in advance and enjoy!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a reservation for 6pm. We arrived at 5.51pm, 9 minutes early. The door was closed. We knocked on the door. One person inside saw us, chose to ignore us and went to the back of the restaurant, would not open the door. It was a windy -10 degrees outside. Were we supposed to wait on the sidewalk til they deigned open the door? We went to spend our money elsewhere.
It must be nice to be so independent of customers.

8  Thank giraffereno