“Excellent service; great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro Duo.D - CLOSED

Bistro Duo.D
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Description: Authentique bistro de quartier. Ambiance conviviale. Des produits vrais et fais maison. Votre meilleur ami epicurien et sa femme vous recoivent chez eux pour une bonne bouffe.
Toronto
“Excellent service; great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We tested out the Trip Advisor ranking system and went for the #1 restaurant in Montreal. I must say it was a reassuring experience. I read a few of the reviews before going also and they were dead on. The service--very personable and attentive. I was surprised to see the place half empty at 8:30 on a Saturday night actually, but that maybe enhanced the experience by allowing us extra attention from the staff. The food, simple, straight forward French classics, but very well executed. Appetizers were two french onion soups (quite standard save for the bacon morsels which added some real nice extra flavour) and a salad. Oh, and before the appetizers our server came with a really nice amuse-bouche, which was like a cod paste served on a small cracker. For mains, 2 stake frites (cooked perfectly as ordered), and a trout with coconut curry sauce. Also very nicely done from the sample bite I took, and perhaps the least French classic of all the items in the menu. Definitely recommendable!

• Visited November 2012

“Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the bistro and the owner would not let me sit down. There were only people sitting at three tables and there were reserved signs on several other tables, but several tables were empty including the bar. I was by myself and she would not even let me sit at the empty bar. She explained that she only would take a small number of trip advisor tourist with reservation at least a day in advance. I explained to her that i walked two miles in cold weather to get there, but she did not care. Apparently, she would rather have an empty seat. I hope it stays empty.

5 Thank Chargerbum
bduo1380, Propriétaire at Bistro Duo.D, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hi my name is Catherine and i am the owner with my husband the chef. When you arrived you did not have a reservation. Some time this is not really a problem even for one person. But this time we were about to be filled up whit our reservation witch we did. You made a reservation for the next day under the name of Jim. So we don't understand what happend to deserve this review????
Catherine and Philippe.
New Jersey
“Perfect place for a meal you wont forget!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Based on other trip advisor reviews- we made reservations to have dinner at this lovely small bistro. We were warmly greeted and our host graciously helped explain what was on the menu since we do not speak french. The duck confit was amazing- my husband and I both ordered it because we did not want to share! Catherine was very attentive and her warm personality made you feel at home. Phillipe even helped us find the best metro route after watching us fumble with our maps. They both took time to chat with us at the end of our meal. I wish them great success with their bistro - they deserve it!

• Visited November 2012
NYC
“Great, romantic, small find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

For some reason, I always think I like French food..couldnt wait to get to this Bistro, which was a cab ride away from the Omni Montreal where we stayed. It's highly rated and tough to get into..but we went during our October business conference in Montreal. It's very small, maybe 25 tables, maybe less. The owner and his wife alone run the place..he's the chef and she's everything else..but you never felt like there was poor service at all. I looked at the menu and cringed..French food is mostly "meat", and I don't eat meat! Nor do I eat much fish..only very mild ones. they had salmon (don't eat it), steak, beef tartare, confit duck, lots of pork and I was dismayed. Spoke to one of the "D's" (forget the names but the husband and wife each have names starting with D)... she served me a fabulous mushroom soup and put together a vegetable place that was outstanding. Husband had salmon and loved it. We didn't feel rushed, and the atmosphere was very, very pleasant. A number of people came in who didn't have reservations and there was no table for them. Make a reservation. I really need to remember that I'm not crazy about French food!

• Visited October 2012
norfolk
“A Little too self gratulatery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This restaurant is run by a husband and wife team. we had read the reviews and were looking forward to a great experience, we began to doubt this on entry to the restaurant, as the lady of the house said "yes?". As if she was going to turn us away, we told her our name and she said you are early!!!! I said we wern't sure how long it was going to take us to walk there, and she sat us down at a table and didn't even offer us a drink while we waited!! First mistake as she would have made a sale of two glasses of wine!! We ordered smoked salmon and pâté for starters, which were fine and we both had the duck for mains which was also good, though only one duck leg, in other places we had two legs. She gave us no chance to make comment regarding the food, but just said in a very self gratulatery manor. " Is good ah!!!!

The bill for a very ordinary bottle of wine and two mains and two starters was just over £90, This is too much for a very stark dining room, with little atmosphere I a situation quite a way from the city centre.

Visited October 2012