“Another Fantastic Stay!”

Ranked #15 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa
“Another Fantastic Stay!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We recently returned to Le St-Martin after a previous stay in December. A gorgeous hotel, lovely rooms and unlike other reviews, the size of the pool wasn't an issue! We had a 2nd floor Grande Luxe room which was conviently located on the same floor as the pool- it was nice to enjoy a morning coffee on the outdoor terrace. This is now my go-to hotel when visiting Montreal!

Nothing overly bad to say about this hotel except because they were full we weren't able to get a late check-out, which is understandable. However, I have to partially agree with some reviews of the front desk service. While some staff are great to deal with, others have no personality and seems they are only there to receive a paycheque. If they were all like the fantastic concierge staff then there wouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to another upcoming stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is our second stay at the St Martin in Montreal. We stayed in May 2013 and May 2012, Our rooms was the Grand Lux suite, the soaker tub is the best part!
Spacious room, with comfortable beds and very modern decor.
My only complaint, my pillow was a bit hard, but that to me falls under personal preference as my spouse thought they were just perfect. We were on a very quiet floor.

Well located, just across the street from a metro stop and a short walk to the shopping of the underground mall and St catherine st. The employees were very nice and the valets extra helpful. Providing us with maps, directions and suggestions on where to eat and what to see.

We plan on going back again next year

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is going to be a long review because I have so much to say about this lovely gem of a hotel! I hope I include all the information that I know I know I look for in a review and a hotel.

For starters, this hotel is in a great location. I admittedly am kind of boring these days and don't go to clubs, I'm much more of a chill out and people watch and have some drinks kind of person, so your mileage may vary.

For me, this location was great because it was only a few blocks from the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, a few blocks from Dorchester Square where you can get the hop on/hop off buses and a main tourist info office to set up other city tours, ten minute walk from where several free outdoor tents were located for the Jazz Festival, walking distance to a number of other museums/galleries (including the McCord Museum), not that far from the Royal Park, several delicious restaurants in the area, the underground giant shopping complex starts on the same block as the hotel, St Catherine is street is a block away for shopping as well with an English and French movie theater, there are a few public transportation options right by the hotel and a taxi waiting area across the street along with a bank/ATM access...it's a really great location in that regard. I was there during a heat wave, so I didn't walk down to the water or old Montreal, I took the hop on/off buses but it's definitely feasible in better weather.

The staff is amazingly nice. Very lovely, wonderful people who will do a lot to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The bedding is all down, and my friend is allergic to feathers so they promptly switched her bedding out to just as comfortable synthetic materials that wouldn't make her have a reaction. There was a free snack cart that made the rounds in the early evening (free snacks! seriously!). There are two bottles of complimentary water in the room which the hotel happily resupplied for us once. The drinks at the bar were very good, the white wine sangria is beyond tasty so try that for sure, and I had a Chablis that was SO GOOD for 13cad a glass.

The gym is quite small but the machines were well kept, I got in a few light work outs. You might have to wait a while for a spot, crowd depending, so be prepared for that at least in the mornings. The pool is also small but very refreshing and seemed pretty well protected from the sun, plus the water is heated. I thoroughly appreciated an afternoon dip after several days of intense heat wave humidity.

And let me tell you all something right now. The beds? Are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, in my entire life. I don't know how they're so comfortable. It can only be magic. My friend and I slept in our beds and said constantly, 'this bed is so comfortable!!'.

The room decor was cozy, peaceful. The curtains are quite good at darkening the room so be careful, you can keep snoozin', that's how dark and cozy the room can get. I had two beds in my room, my friend and I shared and there was enough space for both of us. More than two people might be tight, though. 90% of the time the room was incredibly quiet. We were on the 4th floor across from the gym, so we heard that door opening and closing a lot. And randomly at night there would be loud music for a short spell, which was off putting but I'm a light sleeper by default so I always wear ear plugs when traveling. I wasn't woken up once with ear plugs in. If you're also a light sleeper then I recommend staying on a higher floor for sure, and not on the 2nd (where the pool is located) or the 4th (by the gym) so you have less foot traffic in the hallway. I found plenty of French and English tv shows available for free, so if you find yourself in the room for a while you can easily catch up on the news, weather or a tv show.

note: The tub is quite large for a bath so pick up some bath bubbles or bath salts if you remember and enjoy that sucker. The shower water pressure was quite good. Do know that there are wooden slat blinds that open up from the bathroom into the bed room area, so if you want to you can watch your friends bath or do other, uh, business. haha. there is glass behind the wooden slats so you will not steam up your main room area. I'm honestly not sure why the blinds are there. With the blinds closed you have privacy for sure. We did notice that leaving the blinds opened as we were doing our makeup gave us more light in the bathroom so that was good.

MY ONLY REAL COMPLAINT: the wifi connection is the PITS. Super sucky. The free wifi aspect was only for 24 continuous hours, which is fine (I was willing to pay for longer wifi connection) but the signal dropped constantly. It was fairly useless, so that was a big bummer. That is hands down my ONLY complaint.

Otherwise, super cute hotel and I WILL be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lulugirlgoing
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at Le St-Martin. The room was lovely, albeit somewhat small. I'd like to stay again in the winter to enjoy the in-room fireplace. There are many pluses to this hotel including the free wi-fi, complimentary snacks, (small) pool and deck, comfortable beds, a great restaurant and reasonable rates.

As others have noted, I wasn't impressed with the front desk staff. I did find them to be frosty and thus my rating of four stars instead of five. One actually argued with me when I asked if we could get a bath mat to lay on the floor outside of the shower. I told her that the woman who cleaned our room took ours and didn't replace it. The lady insisted that the hotel did not have bath mats. I asked what patrons used when leaving the shower so they don't slip and her reply was to lay towels on the floor.

The staff at the restaurant, valet and house cleaning staff were all pleasant. The front desk staff could use some lessons in customer service from the staff at Loew's Le Vogue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Le St-Martin Montreal and sgaring your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We are delighted to read that, overall, you greatly enjoyed your stay amongst us. From the quality of our rooms to our complimentary snacks its seems you indeed took full advantage of what Le St-Martin has to offer!

That being said, I am saddened that the service you received from our Front Desk staff was not up to par to the rest of the experiences. Being a small luxury hotel we typically pride ourselves on a high-end personalized service and, by your comments, it would appear we did not deliver this to you.
Rest assured we wil re-visit procedures and staff training to ensure these situation do not happen again.

Thanks again for choosing Le St-Martin, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best,
Ottawa, Ont
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This lovely boutique hotel was just perfect for our girls getaway. This small hotel is beautifully decorated and a great location in downtown Montreal. A 10 minute walk to the Bell Center and less than that to find some great shopping and delictable eats.
The rooms are normal in size, tastefully decorated, with a small mini bar with free coffee and bottled water. The beds were extremely comfortable and a good night's sleep was had by all.
Having someone deliver pop, water, fruit and snacks thru the day was appreciated. No need to go to the lobby for coffee or tea!
The Hotel staff were always very pleasant, informative and willing to help.
Valet parking is expensive, but worth well worth the headaches of trying to locate a parking garage close by and haul luggage back to the hotel.
We were will taken care of and would definately be back!
PS the concert was fantastic - would go to see Bruno anyday!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
toronto
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is very nice: the decor is nice location in the central part of Montreal.
However, The Front desk staff need to learn how to make their guests feel welcome.. they were not pleasant .I agree with the other guest who said- It simply felt like we were "read our rights" when it comes to "terms and conditions" of staying at their hotel. Also, whats with the Credit card $150 HOLD per day!!! I stayed in Montreal several times and I was never asked for this.
Also the elevators are slow and you have to use the room key to activate them! WTH! I wouldnt complain but the scanner is very picky .. you would have to scan multiple times before it works .. not just me this was happing to anyone was in the elevator.
also $29+tax per day to park? wow .. parking on the street was free 6pm to 9am.. but we choose to park indoors couple blocks (blue sign parking) $21(tax in) for 24h next day much better deal.
anyways I wouldnt stay at this hotel unless I have no other choice.

3 Thank DoonmanToronto
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Le St-Martin Montreal and sharig your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

On behalf of everyone at our establishment, we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. We try to make every guest stay memorable and clearly we were not able to deliver this time around.

Regarding the pre-authorization (hold on your credit card) upon arrival at the hotel it truly is a regular industry standard from hotels to cover for any additional incidentals charges guests might have (mini-bar, restaurant, movies etc...), though during my career I've noticed most hotels do not show you the pre-authorization slip and we do. That might be why it surprised you so.

Pertaining to the elevator system, if I understand having to swipe the key to access your floor might prove a inconvenience for you please keep in mind we do this for the security of all our guests. More often than not we get rave reviews on the system by most of travelers that say it offers them a piece of mind knowing there floor is only accessible to those that have a room on it.

Thanks again for choosing Le St-Martin, and hopefuly we get the chance to host you again and change your perception of the experiences we offer.

Best,
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location with lovely updated rooms. Staff was helpful. Small rooftop pool area with waterfall. Turndown service with free snacks was a hit with the kids. Outdoor restaurant was perfect for people watching and a cocktail. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013