“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #15 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
toronto
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, e trembly well situated in Montreal. A short 5-10 walk from the train station, it is amidst great shopping and eating and a pleasant walk to Old Montreal. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are large and very comfortable. At the risk of sounding like a nit picker, I do have 3 criticisms. Firstly, the lighting in the bathroom is quite dim. It would be helpful if the magnifying mirror provided was illuminated. Secondly, while a keurig coffee maker is a lovely touch, personally I don't like the idea of my coffee maker in the bathroom. And finally, I personally like to relax before bed with the tv. Unfortunately, the English stations were news, sports or one described video station. We were disappointed with the selections available all three nights! And the paid movie selection was equally disappointing to us, but is a matter of personal tastes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Arabic first
Bologna, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

very cute hotel, but unfortunately it's all make-up. you would expect more when you pay the price and/or see the website. design is nice, but not a practical place at all as it lacks what you take for granted when staying in a hotel. My main problem was that this is was a work trip, and I needed internet. The internet was horribly slow, then disfunctional. They worked on it to fix it and did so at noon. I lost all morning. But it was ok for 2 hours, then started deteriorating again. So I could not afford this as they are very unreliable, and the manager tells me it's a natural event, not their fault. I ask for some type of discount, but she very gracefully says I give you 10% for 1 night...I preferred to not have that. Moved to Sheraton, 100 times better. Never trust these small hotels that charge a lot, very deceiving for someone not familiar with the scene. Also the sheets were rough, the pillows too thick, battery of the remote out...basically a tasteless place regardless of the make-up...not worth the price at all given all the better alternatives just around the corner...maybe it's lack of experience, they are new and will learn with time

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Ale33N
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor Ccommunity.

We are, as you might expect, very dissapointed to read you ultimately did not enjoy your experience amongst. We strive to make every stay special and have our guest leave with a great memory of their time with us but clearly we were not able to do so in your case.
On behalf of the entire Le St-Martin team, please accept my apologies for not living up to your expectations.

That being said, if I certainly understand the importance of WIFI for our business traveler, the situation you refer was the result of an unforseen issue with our internet provider.
We, as a hotel, are ultimately responsible for the service we carry for our guest and rest assured we did everything in our power to solve the issue as fast as possible.
You were sadly the victim of a rare technical problem as our WIFI service is, overall, very reliable.

Furthermore, I must admit I do not understand your title claiming we do false advertisement.
If we are terribly sorry for the WIFI issue, its the result of electronic breakdown and has nothing to do with any advertisement on our part.
In all honesty, I found the accusation a bit misplaced if not dishonest.

Moreover, if we once again saddened to not having been able to please you, your comment on our pillows and bedsheets are a bit surprising. We usually get rave reviews on the comfort of our bedding but I also understand these matters are a question of personal taste.

Ultimately, we would like to apologize if you did not enjoy the experience amongst us. Perhaps, Le St-Martin (and other small luxury hotels) are not what you were looking for and that, like you mentionned, you simply feel more comfortable in large brand hotels like the Sheraton.

Thanks again for trying us out!

Frederic Aouad
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is very sophisticated! We truly had a great time. It's in the heart of downtown, on the corner of Peel and de Maisonneuve. Your just a few steps away from everything. Eaton center, underground mall, metro system, outside shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, cafes, festivals (in the summer), and maybe a 20-30 minute walk (depending on your walking pace) from old montreal/old port. We did not try the restaurant but we heard good things. It's very nice and you can sit outside in the summer, which is very nice.

The lady that checked us in was so nice and friendly! I unfortunately did not get her name, but she is probably the youngest lady working, so if you can get her. We stayed on the 16th floor, which is the highest floor and our room was amazing. We had the toulouse suite which was absolutely lovely! Kind size bed, huge bathroom with two sinks, shower, and huge bathtub (not jetted). I posted pictures for you guys to see. Sleeping at night was like sleeping on a cloud. My boyfriend said he found the pillows not soft enough, but I found them perfectly fine.

So the pool is opened 24/7 if I am not mistaken. You need to let them know 15 minutes before so they can "heat it up", and you need to go down to get special towels. We did this, the temperature outside was a little cold, around 10 degrees and kind of windy. It has just stopped raining and had heard that their pool is like a spa. We got into the water and it was okay. It was heated in the sense that they pumped some hot water through the waterfall that they have, which is very nice by the way, however after 5 minutes it went back to the regular water and we got cold after 10 minutes. That was a little disappointing because we had read that the pool is amazing and heated. It was warmer then it was outside, but not enough. Still very nice though! It is located on the second floor, there's a button in the elevator you just push the pool button and it automatically knows its the 2nd floor (same for the bistro, ice machine, and gym) they all have their own buttons and you just press it and it takes you there.

You need to swipe your key every time you want to go to your floor, and basically if your room is on let's say the 3rd floor, after swiping your key it will only let you select the 3rd floor. We found that really nice knowing that only people on your floor have access to your floor. Felt secure.

For parking when you check in they have for $29 overnight (indoor parking) with the valet and the day you check out if you want to leave your car for the day it is $16. Honestly, we have no problem leaving our car on the street and paying for parking. We stayed on Saturday night which works out perfectly because you only have to pay until 6pm, after that it's free on Saturdays, and Sundays it only costs between 1pm-6pm and our check out is at 11am. Therefore, we only had to pay from 4pm (when we arrived on Saturday) till 6pm. Hell of a lot cheaper! However, in the week it costs to park on the street between 9am-9pm, and you'll have to keep going back every 3 hours so it is your call!

There was only one upset during our stay. The night we stayed it was raining, and we did not have an umbrella. We went to the front desk to ask for one and they had none left. I found this EXTREMELY disappointing. Most hotels in Montreal have an umbrella in your room, or let alone have enough for everyone in the hotel.

Also TIP: They play music in the corridors, so try to get a room that does not have a speaker directly outside the room (if you plan on going to bed early). We had one outside our room and you can hear it all day, they turn it off around 11pm. We did not mind because we only got back to our room around midnight, however I wanted to take a nap in the afternoon and the music was bothering me (I need silence to sleep usually).

Room Tip: They play music in the corridors, so try to get a room that does not have a speaker directly outside...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at Le St-Martin through a Jetsetter special, so the deal was pretty good. I loved the floor-to-ceiling windows in our suite. The pool has particular hours, but the hotel will open it for you *anytime* if you request it. I am glad they told us this, or I would have thought, as some reviewers wrote, that the pool was closed all season. It was lovely to take a heated, nighttime dip. The location of the hotel - a few blocks from Cresent street - is ideal. The staff obviously cares about their guests, how they feel, etc. (Thank you front desk!) The only detail I didn't like was that the fireplace was oddly behind glass. It's likely for safety/insurance reasons I suppose, but it was one of the factors in our choosing the hotel, so it was a bit of a letdown that we couldn't feel any warmth from it - it was mainly for the look of it. That's the only reason I didn't give the hotel an excellent rating. We loved the TV over the bathtub - great for a soak after a cold day trekking the city. I'd definitely recommend this hotel, although I will say for those on a budget, we got a good deal with Jetsetter & choose a suite, with the great windows.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for two nights and three days, the front desk staff was great, very kind, friendly and extremely helpful. The valet/concierge service is top notch, all concierges we met were friendly and always ready to lend a helping hand. We bought a Livingsocial coupon back in February which included, the room, breakfast and valet parking. The coupon allowed for early check in (11 am) we arrived from Ottawa at 10:15 am and the room was ready and we were able to check in without any issues. We stayed in the Grand Lux room, the suite was amazing, the huge bathtub, the shower and the entire room was extremely clean and fantastic. The room includes two free coffee pods for Keurig machine and two free water bottles. The wifi in the room was fast and the ipod docking station was great to play some music while getting ready for our party. My only recommendation would be to check out before 11 am if possible, we decided to have breakfast and then check out, and that proved to be a little mistake on our part. We finished breakfast and then went to check out at 10:50 am and as expected the front desk was overwhelmed with the amount of guest checking out. There were only two front desk staff and one manager that was helping out the concierge/valet gentlemen. We were able to check by 11 am but to retrieve our car from valet, that took another 30 minutes. To avoid all this I would check out earlier and call valet in advance to have your car ready for your departure. Overall this hotel is amazing, the location, the staff and the room are all excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking at staying in the heart of Montreal's downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is our second time staying at this hotel. It is conveniently located in heart of downtown montreal and very close to St-Catherine St (major shopping street) and metro station. Room is very clean.
Parking is a bit tricky, they do valent parking but when you arrive, you have to park near the hotel on Metcalfe St. first and let the attendent know that you are here.

THe hotel has a all year round heated outdoor pool with jets but we didn't a chance to use it because it opens at 10 am and we are out by then.
Also, there is shutter style wooden sliding door in front of the glass shower panel and people can view the entire washroom if they want to, not sure if it's like that in every room. I think the design is more suitable for adults and couples, not so convenient for family or people who want more privacy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here last summer for a short two-night business trip with a few colleagues. The service was so great, especially at the front desk! I've stayed at many hotels, but Le St-Martin really goes above and beyond to ensure that its customers are satisfied. They even serve pre-dinner snacks, free of charge. The rooms are so elegant and spacious - what surprised me is that I didn't hear any downtown noise from my 7th floor room. The downtown location made it a little too easy for us to go on shopping trips throughout our short stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business