“Wonderful Hotel In The Centre Of Montreal”

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #15 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Hotel In The Centre Of Montreal”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here during Easter weekend to see a Montreal Canadiens game. The location of the hotel is very convenient to all the hot spots of downtown Montreal - we walked everywhere. The hotel appears to be quite new and well maintained. The rooms were great and the pool - well cool.

I appreciated that the room was well equipped for four, enough towels and toiletries for four. The front desk was very accommodating and friendly. While the pool, which is really a very large hot tub is only open for a couple of hours a day, the front desk said they would open it up for us if we gave them 15 minutes notice. We did this on a couple of occasions and the pool was ready for us when we came down. My kids loved the pool.

On Saturday night we had a pleasant knock on the door offering treats for the kids - how nice.
Check in and check out was easy. There is valet parking which makes it easier considering the downtown location.

We will definitely return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank allayden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was a great experience. Everyone at the front desk was very friendly. Great location in the center of Montréal. Amazing rooms, especially the bed :) The room itself had some minor shortcomings for me personally: not enough space on the desk (could only fit 1 laptop, no space for anything else) and more than 1 power outlet would be welcome. Breakfast was really nice but make sure you have time to wait for it, because it can take a while.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Guillaume M
Burnt Hills, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our stay was from Friday March 22 until Sunday Morning March 24, 2013. We had purchased vouchers via the Living Social website for two nights. Each voucher included an early check in perk (according to the hotel's website the early check in was possible for an additional charge of $47.00 CAD). With the early check in for 11:00am, imagine our surprise when we arrived and the room wasn't ready at 1:00pm. Impressed? Not so much. When I pointed this out to the staff and requested a late check out on Sunday we were told that we could only have one additional hour as compensation. So we went to the hotel's restaurant, which by the way, was fantastic and did lift our spirits.
At 2:00pm we were finally able to go to our room. We had upgraded our room when we booked the reservation by $50.00 per night in order to not have to change rooms on our second night due to a lack of availability of the rooms available for the Living Social vouchers. We stayed in the Cannes suite on the 16th floor and it was simply wonderful. The room was clean and comfortable. House keeping can't seem to tend to room until mid afternoon, which was a disappointment when I needed to return to the room after 2:00pm to rest for the evening on our second day. I had called the desk to request clean towels and glassware instead of full house keeping services. I think the young lady at the desk was having a bad day which was reflected in her attitude to my request. I was informed that she had no idea of when housekeeping would even make it to our suite for even that request. I believe I had spoken to this same lady when I attempted to call and make the reservations a few weeks prior. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was informed she was working alone and I would need to call back at another time. I have to say, I have never had that request before. It does reflect that the front desk and house keeping department need additional staff added to meet the needs of their clients.
The soaking tub was big enough for us to both relax in, but if you want to watch the TV mounted on the wall over the bathroom it's not going to work out well. The mount doesn't tilt so to actually see the picture isn't an option. The fireplace is decorative and was a nice touch. The view was fantastic. Included in our voucher was breakfast each morning which would have cost $17.00 per person at their restaurant The Bistro L’Aromate. Four options to choose from and we found to be very yummy. Valet parking was also included ($29.00/night) and the staff was helpful and professional.
Overall our stay was extremely pleasant but I left feeling slightly irritated as if I had been ripped off. I know we had a significant savings by using the Living Social website and traveling off season, but we still paid for the ability to stay here. The fact that each voucher included early check in which we received no benefit from taints the memory of an otherwise great experience.

Room Tip: If you need total darkness in order to sleep, some rooms have floor to ceiling windows with shades...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Good hotel, I liked the location. It was pretty convenient and close to shopping. I did not like how the ice was not on every floor. Also the rooms with a fireplace are nothing more than a lighted fireplace. Bathroom was really nice. Everything was clean! Their restaurant is over priced but you do not need to eat there. For what we paid I think it had good value.

Room Tip: High floor rooms are better!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, it was fantastic. Some flaws, upon check in agent put us into the wrong room and had to change rooms. The next day the manager offered us free continental breakfast I'm effort to rectify. Which was thoughtful. Another flaw the concierge / valet was u willing to help move bags from one room to other or was never able to assist. The pool area was small but very clean and comfortable. Very romantic. Which was nice for us. Didnt try out the restaurant. But room service was fantastic. Bath products were high quality. Also the 24 hour gym they advertise and mention is in fact not 24 hours as it was locked. Overall. Great stay. Comparable to five star hotels just needs more attention to detail in the service aspect. Thanks

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank CanJAD
Rossella R, Front Office Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear CanJAD,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We greatly value guest feedback as a way to constantly improve the experiences we offer.

I am delighted to read that you overall greatly enjoy the experiences amongst us, and I also took note of the valet service issue you mentioned. We are truly sorry that we were not able to show you the quality of service that we strive on providing for all our guests and I will definitely share your comments with our staff in hopes to improve our procedures on that aspect.

On another note I would like to mention that our gym is open 24 hours and requires a room key to activate the door.

Thank you again for choosing Le St-Martin Montreal,

Regards,
Durham, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Montreal is a beautiful city. My fiance and I had never been there and we both loved it. The hotel we chose to stay at was reserved using a Living Social deal. This deal came included valet parking and a special early-bird check-in for 11:00. The early check-in was specifically why we elected to purchase the deal. We knew we would be driving up early from Boston (a six hour drive) and would want to get checked in, freshened up but still have the day to spend in the city. We left Boston at around 5:00am specifically to get to Montreal on time. We dfidn't quite make our time, but still arrived to Montreal at 11:45. When we got there we were informed no rooms were ready for us. we told them our deal specifically included early check-in and that moreover, we were 45 minutes past that time! They informed us, as thought it was nothing, that a room would not be ready for us until 4:00! We had just sat in a car for six hours, and they told us we wouldn't be able to have any kind of shower, or even changing of clothes for four hours. Had we arrived at precisely 11:00, we would have had to wait an additional 45 minutes, mind yo, making our wait time almost five hours. When we came back to the hotel at 4:00, our room still wasn't ready and the valet needed another half an hour to take our car. When we checked out the next day, we told them what had happened and asked if there would be any compensation, they said "no, it doesn't work that way in Montreal." They said this with a very snooty tone. We loved the hotel, and our room was beautiful, but the staff's dower attitude really dampened our trip. We are sad to give such a low rating to such a beautiful hotel. To those who wise to go here, we hope you have better luck with their staff. Also, we ate twice at the hotel's four star restaurant and both times we felt slighted by our waitress. She seemed just as snooty to us as the front desk did. I know my fiance and I don't aren't millionaires, but we were very friendly, respectful and nicely dressed. Yet in all situations we felt as though we were made uncomfortable by the staff's dismissive attitude towards us. Other patrons, particularly other French speaking patrons, seemed to be getting much better service at the restaurant as well as at the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Venniere Suite, with the panoramic windows. It was quaint but delightful. The room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rebekahmae24
Rossella R, Front Office Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear rebekahmae24,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your comments on your recent stay. We apologize that we were not able to accommodate your 11:00 am check in time due to an unforeseen situation, and we are truly sorry that we were not able to show you the quality of service and standards that we strive to uphold to all of our guests.

Regarding the statement "no, it doesn't work that way in Montreal." It really comes to us as a surprise. Rest assured we will follow up internally and make certain such out of place comments to do not happen again.

Finally, we are saddened that you did not enjoy your experience at le St-Martin to its fullest, but I want to reinforce the fact that we NEVER differentiate guests based on language or ethnicity.

Thanks again for staying at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier and hopefully we have the chance to host you again, and change your perception of our hospitality.

Regards,
Paris
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I loved the room I was allocated - it had a huge bathroom with jacuzzi and a latticed blind that you could open to turn the room into one big bedroom/bathroom space. All the equipment and furnishings are really excellent and brand new. Bed and bedding and decor were really superb. Well stocked bar and Nespresso coffee machine.

I didn't notice any noise problems and I found staff courteous and room service efficient and prompt.

My gripe is with the restaurant, but of course you don't have to eat here. We did as it was -30 outside;-). The cooking was pretentious,heavy and tasteless, the cocktails very poor (the smallest and most bizarre Old Fashioned I have ever seen!) and the wine list is way over-priced.

Stay here, eat out!