“Stop looking, book this hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #13 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
New York City, New York
“Stop looking, book this hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My honey and I found this hotel through a deal on Bloomspot. After a snafu between what was offered on Bloomspot and what the hotel actually could offer, we contacted the hotel Sales Director, Frederic. Frederic apologized for the confusion and then took better care of us than we could have imagined. We had a suite on the 16th floor, which was not only luxurious, but also unbelievably comfortable. The bathtub was large and elegant, which went right along with the spacious and beautifully appointed bathroom (with a stand-up shower as well and marble double-vanity). The service in the hotel is first-rate. Everyone, from the agents at the front desk to the bellhops to the valets to the cleaning service was courteous and attentive. The location is perfect, steps away from the Peel metro stop (the Montreal metro is fast, clean, safe, and can get you everywhere you want to go). We can easily say that this hotel made our Montreal experience something very special, and we will be returning again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Rue Maisonneuve will all have views of buildings across the street, so don't wor...
    • 5 of 5 stars
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your St-Martin experience with the TripAdvisor community.
If there was a little confusion (due to a third party website) on the services offered, I am delighted to read everything turned out great during your time at the hotel.

Being a luxury boutique style hotel, offering the kind of personalize service you've enjoyed is really a standard we provide to every single guests, and reading about how much your enjoyed our efforts is really the best reward we can ask for!

Thanks again for choosing Le St-Martin, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Frederic Aouad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Previous Montreal travelers may be surprised that the hotel stands in the place where the famous Ben's Delli used to be. C'est la vie. Tempus fugit. I stayed there 2 nights just before Christmas in a "suite", which was a room with floor to ceiling windows, nice, but certainly not a suite. It had a fireplace, which I did not light. The clothes closet was miniscule. I barely fit my stuff into it.
The bar downstairs charged me $15 for a small glass of wine. They claim to have an outdoor saltwater pool. In fact it is a short noodle of a lap pool on a balcony that is opened only in the early morning and in the evening. When I was leaving I learned, they will open it upon request.
Nevertheless, it was clean, the bed was comfortable, staff pleasant. I may come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert155019
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great hotel for a good price. The gym is rather small, but there is so much to do in Montreal that you shouldnt be in the gym anyhow. Nice hotel and the pool was spectacular! Just warm enough for a winter dip.

esherm63
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Can't say that we enjoyed our stay in Montreal as when we were there, they were hit with a major snow storm. Spent two days in the city and driving out we felt like we had hardly seen any of it. The St. Martin is a nice hotel with front desk staff that is not customer oriented. I felt poorly treated on numerous occasions by two of the male front desk staff. Perhaps because I am an American? Who knows, but I have had better customer service experiences at McDonald's quite frankly. The room was nice, but we had to contact the front desk twice because of problems with the TV remote.

The Bistro Cafe was expensive, the food quality was fairly good though. I would recommend this hotel, just don't expect much from the stuffy front desk attendants.

Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel was top notch on décor, amenities and comfort. They offer an espresso maker, water bottles, and wi-fi for free. The place looks very nice, the location is good, and the room itself is cosy and comfortable. However, its operations are such a mess that it turns a likely good experience into a bad one. The impression is that someone spent a lot of money to build it, but not enough to manage it.

Maintenance: The shower drain did not work properly, and we had to shower on a pool of water. We complained about this for 3 nights in a row, to no avail. (Another reviewer below complains about the exact same thing.) Should I also have mentioned the noisy minibar?

Front Desk: The most bureaucratic check-in I've experienced in a long time. It involves pins, initials, signatures, policies, waivers, warnings, deposits... Perhaps I should have brought a lawyer? My guess is that at some point in time something went wrong with one guest, and it was decided to make all future guests suffer to avoid the potential liability.

Room Service: We received a letter stating that "to serve us better", room service would not be available on December 24th. How does that serve me better? I have worked on the hotel industry for over a decade, and I have never seen any room service simply "shut down". Maybe offer a restricted menu, if necessary? On the following day we received a similar letter, about the dry cleaning not being available "to serve us better".

Pool: The pool itself is nice, albeit very small. The issue was that there were no towels on the premises, which was very odd. So everyone leaving the pool had to go freezing/dripping back to their rooms through corridors and elevators. Even when we were inquiring about the pool hours, no one at front desk thought of mentioning "oh, by the way, bring your own towels to the pool".

Housekeeping: My room was near the hot spot for congregating housekeepers, where they enjoyed lengthy and loud conversations, this happening every day of my stay. Maybe related to that, the room was never cleaned before 4 in the afternoon. To be fair, one day a housekeeper tried to enter our room at 9 a.m. sharp, but we asked her to come back later.

It's unusual for me to write bad reviews (check my record), and I don't really enjoy it. I tried not to go into much detail or complain about every small issue, but the service flaws were so numerous that it was impossible to overlook. I would definitely not go back or recommend this hotel in Montréal, there are plenty of other much better choices.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing you experience with us with TripAdvisor community.

If I am happy you found the location and quality of the accomodation to be top notch, but am saddened to read we left you with the perception that we are badly managed.
We always try to offer the best experience to our guest via a personalized service that hopes to make every guest feel special.

It is clear, after reading your comments, that we were not able to deliver on our promise during your stay and for this I apolozise on behalf of everyone at Le St-Martin Montreal.

Regarding the shower drain issue, I am surprised and dissapointed that you mentionned the problem to our staff and nothing was done about it. Similar issues have indeed arised in the past, and we actually have a very easy & simple solution.
Rest assured we will follow-up internally as to why no actions were taken.

Our check-in process indeed needed improvements, and I proud to say that we have just established new (and much simpler) procedures to that effect.
Should you be willing to retry Le St-Martin experience, I am certain you will appeciate the difference.

I was also happy to see you are fellow hotelier. It is always a pleasure to get feed back from people of the industry.
I am sorry if the shutdown of room service became an inconvenience to you on New Year's Eve. Keep in mind we are a boutique style luxury hotel, and not large brand name hotel and that our restaurant l'Aromate (one of the most popular fine dinning options in the city right now) is a concession.
That beig said, you are perfectly right in stating the shut down was badly communicated. Rest assured such a mistake will not happen again.

Thanks again for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor,

Frederic
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal with my partner over the weekend, and I must say it was a dynamic experience. The hotel itself is gorgeous. It is located in the heart of downtown near various restaurants and great stores. The receptionist was very warm, welcoming and helpful. I had originally booked the Classic King but when we arrived at the hotel, we decided to upgrade to the Verriere Suite. We were upgraded for a minimal fee and I don't regret it! The room was very nice and clean. It had a fireplace and the bathroom contained a hot tub and a stand up shower. My guy and I slept comfortably in the king size bed in the room and we had a wonderful view as well. I have no complaints about this hotel and they will definitely see me again when I visit Montreal. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to someone else! :-)

1 Thank tmp5091
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I spent 3 nights at the St-Martin Hotel in November. It was a great central location to enjoy the sights and experiences of Montreal. It is located within reasonable walking distance to old Montreal, the Rue St-Denis, Rue St-Catherine and Mount Royal Parc. In fact, if I had realized how close to Mount Royal Parc we were located I would have brought my outdoor running gear instead of using the small, but well equipped gym at the hotel. We didn't try the outdoor pool as it was a little nippy outside, but it looked inviting. The service was prompt and friendly delivered in English or French. The room was very comfortable with microwave and coffee machine. During the evening hotel staff came by to make sure we had enough complimentary bottled water, coffee and usually offered us a snack from the cart. The beds were extremely comfortable and the black out curtains allowed for a comfortable sleep in if wanted. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends