“Bonjour Montreal”

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #15 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My visit to Montreal was for a brief weekend getaway. I chose this hotel based on the reviews from this site so hopefully mine will be helpful to someone on the fence about this hotel.

The good:
-Exceptionally clean hotel and rooms. I didn't find anything to complain about.
-The location is great for someone who wants to take in the entire city. You are in the middle of the city with access to the subway right down the street, a mall around the corner and countless bistros and watering holes two blocks down. For a future visit as a couple I might try staying in the Old Port area and curtail my activities to just Old Montreal.
-Free WiFi.. Very welcome after being gouged on a recent trip to another 4 start hotel.. Not just "free wifi" but reliable and fast free wifi.
-Don't go too far searching for breakfast. The bistro in the lobby serves up an amazing fare. The presentation is impeccable and makes you re-think why you go to your local diner which probably costs you about the same what breakfast will cost you at the bistro.
-The heated pool felt great. It was 49 with a light drizzle when I dipped in and I didn't want to leave.

The Bad:
-The heated pool. Sure it felt great, it only took 3 trips to see if it was available. This "pool" is a narrow strip and can barely fit 4 couples. 2 families and there is no room to dip a toe in.
- Excessive parking cost. Parking is valet and costs $30 a day with in and out access. So whatever price you get quoted for a nightly rate, add $30. Do yourself a favor and plan ahead and try to find parking around the block at a cheaper rate.
-The bed was ok but the rocks in my pillow were not. Ok, there were no actual rocks but those were some of the hardest, heaviest pillows that I've ever slept on. One could cause serious damage in a well intentioned pillow fight with these bad boys.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank dre11434
There are newer reviews for Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Shower was the worst in the world that I have ever had...no water pressure...I have stayed in at least 500 different hotels in the world, this one wins the prize as worst shower ever. Staff at the front desk were not helpful and indifferent. The restaurant next door serves breakfast, but it is VERY expensive and the food was awful. Many, many, more hotels to stay at in Montreal...this is not the one that I would chose again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lovetotravel983899
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Obviously, I am dissapointed to read your experience with us was not up to your expectations.
Its actually the first time we hear of a lack of pressure in the showers, but rest assured our maintenance staff will investigate the issue.

Regarding, the breakfast at our restaurant I must admit I am very surprised. Our goal at Le St-Martin is always to please our guest, and we make an effort to offer a breakfast options that are largly less expensive that other comparable hotels.
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy the food. L'Aromate is well know restaurant in Montreal, and enjoys a big local crown of regulars but I certainly understand food is a question of taste and that you might not have liked our menu.

Thanks for choosing Le St-Martin Montreal,

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Great Chic Boutique Montreal hotel, service, location and rooms

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kuzmonious
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a night in a Grand Lux Suite on the 6th floor. The staff were all very welcoming and the lobby area was gorgeous. The hotel is right in the heart of downtown Montreal so you're not far from major shopping and lots of restaurants. The room itself was amazing! The decor was great; modern for the most part. We loved the layout, especially the sliding doors that allowed for unrestricted view of the gorgeous bathroom. You can also opt to keep the doors shut for privacy.

The bathroom....wow...the bathroom was beyond awesome. The tub was absolutely massive and there was a flatscreen tv for watching while you relax in a bubblebath. The shower is separate and very roomy. All the normal amenities were provided; bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, towels, etc. There is a dimmer switch in the bathroom as well to provide a little romantic mood lighting if desired.

The bed was very clean and super comfy. There was something not right about the pillows though. I'm not really sure what the deal is but they were not comfortable at all and I truly wish I brought my own with me.

We didn't have any noise issues on that floor which was great. We had trouble with the thermostat, I couldn't get it to adjust at all. We checked out the pool area, which is very nicely done but didn't have our swimsuits so we didn't get to try it. I did notice that the water was warm, so while the pool isn't large enough for the kiddies to play, it's great for a relaxing soak I think.

All in all, we had a stay minus the pillows.

Room Tip: 6th floor was quiet Bring your own pillow
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I recently stayed at Le St. Martin hotel in Montreal. The hotel was terrific! Great value.

The best part of the hotel was dealing with the concierge. Marco, Jean Sebastian, and Tom were so helpful and pleasant to deal with every single day. They made my stay outstanding. Wonderful men and they went out of their way to be friendly.

Thanks so very much.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Love this place, my gf and i had a blast, everything at this hotel was great, the complaints for this hotel is minor and more personal to the individual. Highly recommend this place! ill be back again, the pool is small but its just relaxing, its like a big hot tub.

Room Tip: the room where you can look out the window from the hall to see the pool!!! great way to check if it...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fusionzoom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I deleted and re-added my original review because I was not happy about something that happened after my stay. When we checked out, the person at the front desk asked us about our additional charges - breakfast at the restaurant and a pop from the mini fridge. We confirmed the breakfast but told her that we did not touch the fridge, and she nodded and proceeded to check us out. I thought it was all handled from here. However, a month later, my credit card statement shows a charge of $3something - for the pop is my guess. I think this is shows that there is a big flaw in their process: Do they really assume that we would pay for a meal but not admit that we had taken a pop from the mini fridge? And therefore feel justified to charge us anyways, without informing us and without checking if there might be another reason? I don't care about the $3sth that was charged to my credit card so I won't bother calling them but it has definitely soured my experience - who's to say they will not do this for other things?

We have stayed many times at the St. Le-Martin in Laval and the service there is VERY different. We actually had a problem with one of the in-room movies when we stayed in February (same trip). They made the effort of informing us that their movie provider did not acknowledge a problem with the video sound and still wanted to charge, but that they would talk to them again to discuss it. But they cautioned us that a charge might appear. See the difference?

My original review is below:

“Great location (for the winter), great room, great weekend”
Reviewed 21 February 2012
I tend to go to Montreal at least once a year and while in the summer I prefer to stay near Old Montreal, winter time is a different matter entirely. This time we choose to stay with the Le St-Martin Hotel since we've always had a lovely experience at the Laval one and found a great deal through SniqueAway. For anyone who wants to walk (even in the winter!) this is a great location - it's right next to the Peel metro station, steps away from the main underground shopping area (Simons, Centre Mont-Royal), a 10-min walking distance to the Fine Arts museum, Crescent Street, and Mont-Royal Park and a 20-minute walk to St Laurant & Sherbrooke.

We stayed in the one of the Grand Lux rooms which was clean and comfortable. There seems to be a trend in boutique hotels these days to have a open concept - the bathroom (incl. big soaker tub) was separated from the sleeping area only by a few sliding wooden doors (blinds), so I would not recommend this room to share with friends or colleagues.

Nice touches: two temperature controls (one in the bathroom, one for the sleeping area), LCD screen mounted over the bathtub (sadly, we did not have the time to try it out), turndown service, desk table that had two levels of brightness and could be turned on by touch.

The fitness room was small and narrow but comfortable and did not feel too enclosed since one wall was all window (it overlooks a parking lot). Good fitness equipment although there is only one treadmill, one elliptical, one bike and one weight machine. We took a look at the outdoor pool but did not have a chance to try it out.

Reception and service in the restaurant was good but not noteworthy.

Room Tip: Make sure that you check your credit card bill afterwards to make sure they do not charge you for ot...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garp1233
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your message, and for sharing you good & and not so good experience at Le St-Martin.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay about us, but was dissapointed to see it was tarnished by the late 3$ mini-bar charge.
We certainly had no malign intent in doing so, its a simple industry wide procedures to count mini-bar inventory after guest departure ad charge used (or missing) items to the guests folio.
In your case, it obviously is a mistake on our part and would be delighted to remove the charge as soon as you contact us directly.

Please accept our apologies for the error, and hope you will not judge the quality of our service on this small issue.

Looking forward to hosting you again at Le St-Martin Montréal,