“Exquisite afternoon with tea”
Review of Ming Tao Xuan

Ming Tao Xuan
Ranked #200 of 6,065 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Very near our hotel in the Old Port district of Montréal we found Ming Tao Xuan, a purveyor of fine tea. We were presented with an extensive menu of tea service. We ordered two varieties and two savoury vegetarian snacks. Our tea arrived with excellent lessons of how to pour it for best flavour for each variety. The shop also has a beautiful selection of tea ware and of course, loose tea for sale. A delightful place!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

After an extremely relaxing day of some much needed R&R at Spa Scandinave I decided to take a nice walk around Old Montreal and came across a cute little Tea House on Rue Saint Suplice called Ming Tao Xuan.

With an air of Buddhist serenity, it feels like you are stepping into a tea house somewhere in a Chinese village and not off the street in old Montreal. Ming Tao

Xuan means "a comfortable and welcoming salon where fine teas can be enjoyed in earthenware teapots". What that actually means--not to sure--but the tea selection is phenomenal. There were so many choices I couldn't keep up. The menu reminds me of a Sun Tzu novel!

1  Thank Courtney D
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We thought it was a oriental curio store and since I love oriental art forms, I walked in. To my surprise the place was a tea room along with some artifacts, nicely displayed. The place is a prime corner in old Montreal. It is quite and surprisingly many people don't walk in. In my hour long stay there, no one walked in.
Ample seating along with a beautiful street view. The place is run by an oriental couple who are enthusiastic as well as pleasant. We were given an elaborate tea menu. Tea is expensive. Tea for two along with a small position of appetizers was $23 for us. The place serves some lovely vegetarian appetizers. We had some dumplings along with tea. Never had something like that before.
I had green tea. It was beautiful seeing our tea laid out on the table. We were explained the process of washing the tea leaves before soaking them.
I am a tea freak. I loved my experience. If you are a person who goes about hunting tea and good tea, don't miss this place. They allow restricted photography of the area you are sitting in.

Go there:
If you are a tea person
If you want a nice quite place to sit At

Reviewed July 1, 2012

The beautifully carved furniture, teapots and Buddha statue are enough to merit a visit, but the real pleasure is the tea and food. The server performs a lovely ceremony, teaching you how to smell and drink the different kinds of teas (of which there are many interesting varieties). The light food to accompany the tea was fresh and full of subtle, unique flavors. It was a welcome reprieve from the hectic conference that brought me to Montreal.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

One of my favorite experiences in Montreal. Skip the shelves overflowing with expensive teapots and head for one of the four tables along the exterior edge and treat yourself to what can only be described as an experience in tea. Customers are given a menu with a wide selection of unique teas available in a wide range of price options and selections that are only available in a tea boutique. A handful of light snacks are also available, but I did not try any food.

The server brings a specialized tray loaded with accoutrements relevant to the particular tea you selected. The server explains the special qualities of the particular tea you selected along with tasting notes. Ours demonstrated how to sample the floral fragrance of the oolong my companion selected as well as the procedure to “open” the tea then the method to drink the tea to receive the optimal cup. While I cannot speak to the authenticity of the “ceremony” as other reviewers referred to it, the process is definitely designed to allow the customer to enjoy a tea with all the senses and reach tea nirvana without the uncomfortable transition to nonbeing.

Highly recommended but leave small children and the extremely clumsy at home!