“Outstanding, Japanese-French Fusion, Gourmet, Boutique Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Toroli

Toroli
Ranked #276 of 5,679 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Asian, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Outstanding, Japanese-French Fusion, Gourmet, Boutique Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Toroli is a tiny gem of a restaurant in the plateau area of Montreal.
The restaurant sits on a tiny side street 1 block in from Avenue du Mont-Royal E,
and the façade is whimsically painted like the black and white spots of a Jersey cow.

The interior is a single small room that seats only about 12-16 people.
The atmosphere is sparse and functional, but very cozy.
The view of the street from the front windows was actually mesmerizing,
as a wide variety of quirky neighborhood passersby on foot or bicycles suddenly came into view from stage right, and then just as quickly exited, stage left, or vice verse.

The tiny kitchen is separated from the dining area by a half wall,
atop which a few origami swans are playfully perched.
Diners can partly see into the kitchen where the skillful and imaginative Chef Taka creates delicious and artfully-presented dishes inspired by Japanese and French cuisines.

A sweet and pretty, young Asian woman (who speaks English better than French) explains the menu and serves all the food and the beverages from the nice selection of wine and sake.

The menu is short, but very varied, and we were so intrigued by the options we had trouble choosing. This would be a great place to come with some friends who like to taste and share different dishes.

My husband decided to order from the prix fixe tasting menu ($48) which included the house seaweed salad (much better than it sounded, at least to me – see our photo), a generous bowl of delicious miso soup with mushrooms, an appetizer choice, and entrée choice, a dessert choice, and hot green tea.
Because I wasn't sure I wanted all those courses, I only chose an appetizer and an entrée, but they thoughtfully served me a small portion of salad, soup and ice cream for dessert anyway, for no additional charge.

We loved every bite, and here are the details to go with our photos:
House salad – delicious, served with a light sesame vinaigrette.
Miso soup – very flavorful miso broth with plenty of delicious mushrooms.
Tuna Tataki –seared tuna in a creamy sesame sauce with a hint of truffle oil - fantastic!
Tasting menu special appetizer – delicious fish served with crispy rice vermicelli and caviar.
Braised Lamb “Nippon” – tender and savory leg of lamb slow-cooked in sake-infused soy sauce, served with miso sauce and barley risotto.
Tuna Saltimbocca – pan-seared tuna topped with prosciutto and Japanese basil pesto, served with steamed barley and nice vegetables.
Black sesame ice cream – LOVED this sweet and savory treat! Who knew? Now I have to get a recipe!
Green tea ice cream – refreshing and interesting.

The bill, including a bottle of sake and 2 bottles of sparkling water, came to about $150, which we considered more than reasonable for the quality and quantity of food.

In sum, I highly recommend Toroli, and I wish I could go back to try more of their dishes. If you are a foodie, you should not miss the opportunity to taste Chef Taka’s delightful dinner concoctions.

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank Cindy F

“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

A small and quaint place, where the chef receives you almost in his home. The food is interesting and has an authentic Japanese influence. My husband and I loved it all 3 x we went!

6 Thank ycfoodie
“Overrated with bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I should say that most of the food had good flavors. The reason I am rating it very low is for:
Service is terrible. First it's not where you can expect service. It's a tiny store with 3 to 4 tables and 1 waiter who is slow. The menu is thus very small. You either take what's there or that's it. I'm in to food tasting so I don't mind. My wife is pregnant so she is not allowed to eat raw. The only option we had for her was filet steak. We asked for medium well and we got medium rare. We complained and the took it back to the grill and threw medium back at us.

Small place with no service is not worth a high price for a very limited menu.

They charged us for their mistake and we didn't get what we want and didn't eat it

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Fouadanbari
Montreal, Canada
“Incredible Japanese fusion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were wary to walk in to this petite restaurant last night and see only one other couple having dinner. But my husband said he had heard wonderful things about it and we wanted to try something new. Well, it was a great decision because the food was superb from the fragrant seaweed and spinach salad, to the tofu soup, miso marinated black cod, seared tuna with truffle and kobiko caviar, the drunken fish steamed in sake with chilli, the tempura lobster tail and lobster sushi roll with spicy sauce and finally the green tea mouse with red berry sauce and fresh fruits. Everything was excellent. Yes it is a small restaurant that looks like nothing with a single chef and waitress, but it is very cozy and warm with light jazz and Bossa Nova playing, and of course the food is superb.

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank L0712
Mississauga, Canada
“Intimate restaurant, well-executed experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited this restaurant in search of a romantic dinner to cap off our weekend trip to Montreal. It was a pricey meal, but in such a small venue it feel like a private dining experience. The dishes were delicious and intricately plated by a chef who clearly is very invested in his restaurant. Service was pleasant and personable!

• Visited June 2013